Let's talk Compressors...

steve_man

• Members

I had an Ibby potato bug comp - 30 bucks or so. Even that improved the clean tone. I guess compressors level harmonics too so the basic sound is more balanced "sheet" like. When you start getting into sustain they all trend toward suck although I've tried the one knob channel comps on those Yamaha boards like Etienne and they work very well on clean guitar even adding sustain and that Rhodes like squish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a big fan of compressors. So much in fact, I have two on my board. A Deep Six by Walrus Audio in the effects loop and a Boss CS-3 in front of the amps. I use the CS-3 in a very traditional sort of way. I use the Deep Six as some sort of expander or enhancer. Maybe kind of like a boost? I'm not sure what you'd call it, but in the effects loop, kicking that thing on is like going from an SD channel to an HD channel on your TV. Tiny fingerpicked nuances that weren't audible become very clear and defined. I guess you could say the effect is sort of like a BBE Sonic Maximizer. It does SOMETHING, and I like it, but I'm not sure how to describe it. Hopefully a pedal geek can chime in and explain what it's doing.

Archived