Pisses me off.

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

There is no "right" way to learn. I'm from the pre internet generation and f....k that sh...t. It's way better today. I use youtube to learn something fast and then my ear to hear how all those youtube people are making mistakes because I can hear they aren't playing it right. Then I fill in those blanks.

Slaving away over a slowed down turntable for hundreds of hours because you think it makes you more noble or learn a song "better"....lol...that's just nonsense. Arrogant music snob nonsense. Just like classic rock snobs who whine about the "quality" of new music.

• Members
Kids have it too easy. Both tabs and You Tube makes things simple but I question how well you actually learn things that way.

I still have my Vinyl collection and most of the clicks and pops came from lifting the needle hundreds of times trying to learn the music. The repetition of playing the parts over like that helps you remember every note. Any tabs or lyrics came from hand writing it down, so again its memory reinforcement you don't get if you simply download it.

It also teaches you ear training and how to use your ears deciphering the notes being played and how they are being played. When I played in my last cover band, the younger players were amazed when they played me a song I never heard and knew practically the entire song after a single listen. If I did the same and played an unknown song for them, they'd be lucky to figure out what key the song is in by the end of the playback. Its not that they were bad performers either, its just they never been challenged to learn that way and lack that skill.

Not to be cruel, but most of the serious young players I know are way better than you or me and it's mostly from doing the hard work necessary. The learning tools are better, but it's not magic.

In my day...

• Members
Nobody seems to have mentioned "books". Sign of the times I guess. This was my first - and I still have it :)

1484817539CJD_1.jpg

ps Here is the late Artie Traum live. I really like this.

Back around 1970 we had local folk clubs where this was what you came to see and sat in your bedroom with an acoustic trying to emulate.

[video=youtube_share;nGOxspc3MT8]

I have that book, I first bought it when it came out in '69. I learned all about Tab and 12-bar blues from it, and bass note riffs. I recently re-bought a used copy from Amazon because my original copy was in pretty bad shape. I'm glad I did, it's a good book.

I also bought Improvising Rock Guitar by Green Note Publications in '73 when it came out, and am finding it easier to learn from now than when I first started studying it 44 years ago. I got all of the first song on Side B of the demonstration record that comes with it, and am starting on the 2nd and final instrumental on it. I also recently re-bought a used copy of it from Amazon, because my original copy went MIA in the '80s.

They talk a lot about "record-copying" in it, and I destroyed a lot of vinyl doing what others have described here with their records and turntables.

I guess that was a kind of a rite-of-passage for students of rock lead guitar in the '60s and '70s.

3aCw7MG.jpg

Archived