how to make strings last longer

mbengs1

• Members
Nope - Elixirs are great and I disagree with all of your points about them. You've convinced yourself that you can hear the coating and that budget strings are better.

I can hear the coating too. It's pretty obvious unless you have tin ears. That's why I don't use them.

Never tried the la bellas though.

• Members

I bet you couldn't pick the string brand from a recording, even with superior ears. I agree that there's an extra bit of sizzle from uncoated strings, but it's nothing like obvious in recordings. The extra slippery feel and 4x life more than makes up for the ice-pick that usually gets rolled off on purpose anyway.

• Members
I bet you couldn't pick the string brand from a recording' date=' even with superior ears. I agree that there's an extra bit of sizzle from uncoated strings, but it's nothing like obvious in recordings. The extra slippery feel and 4x life more than makes up for the ice-pick that usually gets rolled off on purpose anyway.[/quote']

No. Ive recorded with them and i can tell.

• Members

Fair enough. You knew what strings were on the recording though, so still open to confirmation bias. ;)

What kind of tones make this obvious to you? I usually use clean sounds and never metal or hard rock sounds so maybe more noticeable with those. It would be great to hear an example.

• Members

I used to buy Polyweb Elixirs. When the local shop ran out, I would buy Ernie Ball to hold me over. Problem was, when I finally got Elixirs, I didn't like them anymore.

My Ernie Balls last a while as long as I wipe them afterward. They don't rust over much, but they go dead after a week or so of daily use. I don't get to play every day anymore thanks to 12 hour shifts, so I don't buy strings as often.

Archived