What was your first guitar?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A Hofner Galaxie. I bought it in 1965 from a guy who threw in a small amp and - wait for it - a Dallas Treblebooster. I used the Treblebooster through the 70s and can't remember what I did with it, but it's long since lost/thrown away. And now they are worth £1,000..........

But I did keep my Marshall Superfuzz from the 60s and sold it for that same sum last year, so not all bad.... !

1e9808256395fe43c3fe9702d2dd7f75.jpg.8bcc2d899d7fe6eda3ab05d89848f77a.jpg

• Members

Hey Phil, thanks.! :D

haha yeah I meant strat bullet lol.. for the PRS I like the mid range price Tremonti model. I just love the bird inlays and sounds amazing. For the LP I cant find it, but it had a thin body and around £500 price range, it was 2 years ago though, So dont know about it now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My first guitar didn't really count. Dad was an SS Kresge's store manager. When I was 8 or so he brought me an acoustic 6-string of some unremembered brand. Unfortunately that one fell victim to a game of El-Kabong with a younger sibling shorty thereafter.

FF to teen years. Back in the day our cities had "Sock Hops" Saturday nights at the local community centers usually with a live local band. One in particular, "Windy City Syndicate," was notable to my young mind by the futuristic looking guitar one of the guys was playing.

My drummer buddy was one of the sons of the city's symphony orchestra conductor and his older brother not only knew the guys in Windy City Syndicate, but said the guitar player just upgraded and his old guitar was available for something like $35. I dutifully handed over a mitt full of paper-route money and she was mine - a Japanese Teisco made Sears Silvertone something like this:

gjmjg0mfxp4hrkjfxhoh.jpg

Turns out it was a POS, which is why the guitarist was offing it. It was so bad it put me off playing for quite a while.

My first really nice guitar was a Rickenbacker 650 Sierra that is till my No. 1. This isn't mine, but there's no difference. Fabulous guitar:

ric650s-lg.JPG

• Members
My first guitar didn't really count. Dad was an SS Kresge's store manager. When I was 8 or so he brought me an acoustic 6-string of some unremembered brand. Unfortunately that one fell victim to a game of El-Kabong with a younger sibling shorty thereafter.

FF to teen years. Back in the day our cities had "Sock Hops" Saturday nights at the local community centers usually with a live local band. One in particular, "Windy City Syndicate," was notable to my young mind by the futuristic looking guitar one of the guys was playing.

My drummer buddy was one of the sons of the city's symphony orchestra and his older brother not only knew the guys in Windy City Syndicate, but said the guitar player just upgraded and his old guitar was available for something like $35. I dutifully handed over a mitt full of paper-route money and she was mine - a Japanese Teisco made Sears Silvertone something like this:

Turns out it was a POS, which is why the guitarist was offing it. It was so bad it put me off playing for quite a while.

My first really nice guitar was a Rickenbacker 650 Sierra that is till my No. 1. This isn't mine, but there's no difference. Fabulous guitar:

I started on something very close to that and it too was junk

My first really good player was a 60 something Gretsch Clipper very much like this one

1232gretsch.jpg

• Members

My first guitar was a 70's Epiphone acoustic of some sort. I don't remember much about it.

The next three guitars were Kramers. My first electric was a Kramer Striker 100ST, bought from none other than Ed Roman at East Coast Music Mall. Proper piece of crap that guitar was. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Web pic, not mine:

Vintage-Kramer-Striker-100ST-Guitar-W-Original-Floyd-Rose.jpg

My second electric was a vast improvement, my first good guitar, an American Kramer Pacer Special.

That was a sweet axe and I wish I still had it. Here's a web picture, slightly ironically from Roman Guitars in Vegas. Not mine, but mine was very close to this:

kramer_d824.jpg

• Members

My first guitar was an acoustic POS, I think nylon.

My first electric was another POS (white, 4 pickups), a bitch to play.[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32030033[/ATTACH] . Here's a photo of it, playing in a band at my Bar Mitzvah in the late 60's.

My next electric was a new 1968 Les Paul gold top with cream P-90's.

Like a fool I sold it for a song in the late 80's.

A few years later it was worth thousands.

Archived