• Members

Yeah, I guess I never thought about the stuff below 20 hz.

Just to clarify for anybody else who cares, a 1/3 octave EQ's lowest slider value is typically 20 hz which is also the theoretical limit of human hearing. But amps can operate below that. so if you roll off everything below 30 hz or so it may LOOK like a hpf, but there is still a signal below 20 hz that's getting thru to the amp and although you can't hear it, your amps are still amplifying it and your driver is still trying to absorb the energy, thereby causing distortion etc.

• Members

Yeah, I guess I never thought about the stuff below 20 hz.

Just to clarify for anybody else who cares, a 1/3 octave EQ's lowest slider value is typically 20 hz which is also the theoretical limit of human hearing. But amps can operate below that. so if you roll off everything below 30 hz or so it may LOOK like a hpf, but there is still a signal below 20 hz that's getting thru to the amp and although you can't hear it, your amps are still amplifying it and your driver is still trying to absorb the energy, thereby causing distortion etc.

thats really not the point at all. First look at all the resultant comb filtering, especially in the second graph. Second look how wide that 100hz filter actually is. In the first graph that coaster posted it's almost 3db down still at 400hz when cut at 100.

• Members

How does one determine where to set the HPF? Is there a general rule of thumb, say 20 or 30hz?

General rule of thumb is to set it at the resonance point of the speaker with a vented system as below that point the speaker quickly unloads.

• Members

thats really not the point at all. First look at all the resultant comb filtering, especially in the second graph. Second look how wide that 100hz filter actually is. In the first graph that coaster posted it's almost 3db down still at 400hz when cut at 100.

Thank you!!!

Also, the slope and Q of a graphic eq filter makes for a really poor HPF.

Archived