OT: A salute to our Military.

• Members

Here's the news papers article.

Bill, thanks for the thread and the article.

My band has played a local Veterans Day Ceremony (at the local Veterans Park, even!) for several years now. There are some wonderful people there, service men and women of all ages and their families. It is a privilege to play for them and we always try and play songs that every generation will remember and appreciate.

The first year, as we were playing Doris Day's 1945 hit Sentimental Journey, a old gentleman swung out of the crowd on a walker and began a long, slow slog uphill to the the band's 'stage area'. He had a big smile on his face and wanted to sing with the band. Just a nice old man, who happened to be wearing a Medal of Honor around his neck. Just goes to show you, you never know who will appreciate some small attempt at kindness.

• Members

And you know what? I don't care if it was photoshopped as I stated. It is a feeling, emotion, pride thing.

I for one am proud to be an American and have great feelings for our armed forces and what they do for you and me.

I'm not in the same political spectrum as you, but I concur. My only wish is that the use of force wasn't so trivial to our elected leaders. WWII was indeed a dire time in history, and those that paid the price did so in the defense of true freedom.

• Members

Kinda interesting that you could probably make that look more "real" with photoshop :freak:. The article mentioned some thinking it was a fake because the bird is too big - as I posted earlier I got close enough to one last year to see how f'in HUGE they are. I'm sure glad I was in a car at the time - I've no doubt that monster could have messed me up but good :lol: !

• Members

:D
I dunno after 10 years of using Ps more or less every day, I gotta say that it sure looks like a mediocre slap comp to me... but if they say its legit...

I think it looks shopped because of the image compression. The JPEG algorithm didn't deal well with the contrast of the dark eagle against a light background, creating that halo. Looking at a higher resolution copy in the link lindquist provided, it looks much more genuine.

• Members

I think it
looks
shopped because of the image compression. The JPEG algorithm didn't deal well with the contrast of the dark eagle against a light background, creating that halo. Looking at a higher resolution copy in the link lindquist provided, it looks much more genuine.

You're most likely right. Don't misunderstand me: I believe the photo is probably genuine, but at the same time most photos like that are more-or-less creations.

Anyhow, cheers!

• Members

Here's a shot of a bald eagle taken in the field by my house. They are huge!

Yup... when I lived in AK, I witnessed a bald eagle pluck a good sized mountain goat off the side of a mountain... and drop in a whirling mass quite a few hundred feet down the face of the pretty-much sheer mountain face, to level out a few (less than 10) ft. above the below tree canopy... mountain goat in the eagle's tallons the whole time... they disappeared around the face of the mountain shortly there-after.

• Members

When I was stationed in Italy in the 80's with the 1/509th ABN. We took part in several parades in France celebrating the 40th anniversary of D-day. You're right about the memorial sites, knocks the wind out of you to see so many tombstones.

I did one of those "Parades" Marseilles and Port Gromond (excuse my spelling). Those Frenchies were waving flaggs and cheering like WE had liberated them. Awesome. Then the Mayor of Port Gromond gave us free reign of the town, with all food and drink for free. Man, did he loose money on that deal!

• CMS Author

I did one of those "Parades" Marseilles and Port Gromond (excuse my spelling). Those Frenchies were waving flaggs and cheering like WE had liberated them. Awesome. Then the Mayor of Port Gromond gave us free reign of the town, with all food and drink for free. Man, did he loose money on that deal!

Everything I've heard indicates that the people of the regions truly appreciate what all the Allied soldiers did for them. Just witnessing how well-tended the Normandy gravesites have been for all these decades is testimony.

Archived