Looking to purchase PA system for duo...suggestions?

• Members

Howdy...it's been a good while since I've posted here...and never in this particular forum.

I'm a vocalist and rhythm guitar player in an Alt-Country/Americana/Classic Country/Folk/etc. acoustic duo...my partner and I are looking to purchase a PA for upcoming gigs so we won't have to rent or anything of that nature...I have a tiny 40 watt coffee shop PA, but that's pretty much good for me sitting alone playing and singing...in a quiet setting.

The bars we're booking at aren't exactly that type of environment...

So

I've been looking for suggestions...

I'm looking for used gear...and really don't want to spend more than 600-800 dollars on a little system with at least 6 channels to use...anyone have any suggestions?

Someone offered to sell me a PA system with some really old mixer and speakers for $600...

1- Soundcraftsman Amp. Has A&B Inputs,and A&B Outputs to speakers....I think it is a 100 watt amp.

5-Shure SM58 Micophones

1- Shure SM57 Microphone

3-Crate UFM-1 60 Watt Speakers ( monitors )

1-Scott DD656 Dual Cassett Tape Player/recorder

2- Audio Centron AC-15CD Large Speakers 400Watt program 200Watt Continuous

1- Rapco 12 channel Plus A,B,& C Ports 100 Foot Snake

1- Audio Centron AC-112 12 Channel Mixer Board

1- Roland RD-300 DIGITAL Piano

Mic Stands,numerous cords,etc.

We thought we should have $600 w/o digital piano,$800 with digital piano.

The Audio Centron stuff I'm sure is crappy...don't want the Piano...and the tape deck is garbage as far as I'm concerned unless there is a market to resell it...

I love the fact that 5 SM58s and an SM57 are included...3 monitors for a duo is overkill

I'm sure the mixer and amp would need upgraded...speakers too...

It sound appealing to me...we have options for band expansion in the future...I'd love to get a mandolin player...upright bass...and a snare player to join in the fun...

I'm a complete novice when it comes to running a PA...so...anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

There are a LOT of fake Shure microphones in circulation.

Well I have met the guy, and they used the PA for a praise group that played at the churches they belonged to...I trust him...I can investigate a bit.

I'm open to other suggestions though! So if you have anything to recommend that I look into...please do.

• Members

If you're in San Antonio, I'd suggest just scanning the craigslist-- I think you could do a lot better for the money. Really, if the only redeeming thing about the package is that it comes with a grip of 58s, then you might want to re-think it.

I have liked the soundcraft gigracks that I've encountered. Something like that with some speakers, mics, cables, etc. would be a lot better for a duo, IMO, though it might be a bit more than you'd like with a pair of 58s, stands and speakers, and a powered monitor.

What configuration is your duo? Two vox, 2 acoustic guitars?

• Members

Agreed.... it's all rubbish. Look for a used powered mixer (Peavey, Yamaha) and couple of Yamaha Club speakers or similar. That's about all you can expect for your budget as far as reputable gear. Even then you're likely looking at around a grand even if you do luck into some good deals, especially if you need a monitor and mics.

Although more money, ideally something like the EV ELX 112P or RCF 310A or 312A and a small Peavey/Yamaha/Soundcraft/A&H mixer would be great.

• Members

I play in an acoustic duo, both indoor and outdoor venues (farmer's markets, etc. - nothing too big), and we use a Yamaha EMX512SC mixer (500 watts X 2 @ 4 ohms, a pair of EV SX100+ speakers, and a pair of Fender 1270 monitors). This setup has worked very well for us. I think you have been given good advice here so far, but I will add that you might want to consider the weight of your system. I think Yamaha Club speakers are quite heavy, and that there are better sounding speakers that are much lighter at or around their price. You might not care about weight, but many do. Just something to consider. The key is getting what will work for your needs and sound good to you. Hope this helps.

• Members

I play in an acoustic duo, both indoor and outdoor venues (farmer's markets, etc. - nothing too big), and we use a Yamaha EMX512SC mixer (500 watts X 2 @ 4 ohms, a pair of EV SX100+ speakers, and a pair of Fender 1270 monitors). This setup has worked very well for us. I think you have been given good advice here so far, but I will add that you might want to consider the weight of your system. I think Yamaha Club speakers are quite heavy, and that there are better sounding speakers that are much lighter at or around their price. You might not care about weight, but many do. Just something to consider. The key is getting what will work for your needs and sound good to you. Hope this helps.

I don't disagree with you at all. The EV SZ100+ is a great passive speaker for this application. I was just throwing out something that could possibly be found used. For his budget he can't be too picky. Some older Peavey SP's or EV Eliminators would do too. But sure, a nice set of used EV SX's would be just dandy.

• Members

I don't disagree with you at all. The EV SZ100+ is a great passive speaker for this application. I was just throwing out something that could possibly be found used. For his budget he can't be too picky. Some older Peavey SP's or EV Eliminators would do too. But sure, a nice set of used EV SX's would be just dandy.

And I don't disagree with your suggestions either. I suppose I inadvertently implied that I did by mentioning the Yamaha Club speakers. I just wanted to bring the weight factor into the discussion. Quick side note: I was the guy who began a thread about the well-used SX100+ speakers that I bought from a DJ. About two days after I began that thread, I walked into a local music shop that had almost brand news ones for a song. I got 'em! I am selling the others. Sorry for the diversion - back to helping theflyingalamo out with his PA acquisition...

• Members

:)

I see there is a new section dedicated to Solo & Duo act.

Thanks for letting me know - just posted there. I assume your post was a gentle nudge for folks like me who do not exactly do large scale sound reinforcement to, uh, move along....:) Can't blame you.

• Members

Thanks for letting me know - just posted there. I assume your post was a gentle nudge for folks like me who do not exactly do large scale sound reinforcement to, uh, move along....
Can't blame you.

Just thought the scale of production might be closer to what you have in mind.

• Members

Frankly I'd rather run my Yamaha MG82CX into a pair of 'ringer B208D rig (cost $450 new) than that crap. That mixer or a Soundcraft 124FX into a pair of RCF 310A's would really sound nice and perhaps not even raise noses here
:D

I agree with this. And with the prices those little Soundcaft mixers are going for on clearance right now, you could have one and a pair of RCF 310a's for just about $900. Doing it with a pair of Behringer B210D's or B210D's and either a Yamaha MG82cx or MG124cx (if you wanted more inputs) will land somewhere between $500 and $700.

A Gigrac 600 and a pair of Yorkville YX12's would also be in about the same range. I've recently started using an Allen and Heath ZED10FX and one RCF312a for small gigs and I think it sounds pretty great. It cost me $700. With a less expensensive small mixer, it would be even less. Right now, a 312a and a Soundcraft 124FX would only set you back $550 or so, which would leave you more for mics, stands and cables. You could eventually add a second speaker and a bigger board when the money is better and the gigs get bigger.

Louis

• Members

So it's junk beyond the Microphones.

See that's why I came here and asked you cats.

My budget personally is like $700 ish...My buddy can go in on it too.

We have 2 acoustics and we both sing and he plays some harmonica. We actually already both have microphones...I have an SM58 that I bought from a licensed dealer.

4 inputs are needed...we have a lot of buddies that play and would/already join us when we perform so 6 to 8 would be the target number of input channels...

Many good tips on this thread...Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming...Specific suggestions are very helpful!

I'm actually from Central Pennsylvania...not San Antonio....my name is definitely misleading.

• Members
So it's junk beyond the Microphones.

See that's why I came here and asked you cats.

My budget personally is like $700 ish...My buddy can go in on it too.

We have 2 acoustics and we both sing and he plays some harmonica. We actually already both have microphones...I have an SM58 that I bought from a licensed dealer.

4 inputs are needed...we have a lot of buddies that play and would/already join us when we perform so 6 to 8 would be the target number of input channels...

Many good tips on this thread...Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming...Specific suggestions are very helpful!

I'm actually from Central Pennsylvania...not San Antonio....my name is definitely misleading.

I'd look at 8-10 channels. Even when doing solo gigs I end up using 6 channels usually.

• Members

I'd look at 8-10 channels. Even when doing solo gigs I end up using 6 channels usually.

Wow...well yeah I was planning on looking for 8+ channels ideally.

We really only need 4 as a duo...we don't have any backing tracks or anything. But we do have friends who join us now and then.

• Members

Your thread it totally appropriate here. This is the live sound and production forum. The new forum seems to be a "catch all" for duos.

Agreed.

I've got lots of band PA gear, but I still do singles and duos - so it's of interest to me anyway.

When I do a single in a small room I often use a Yorkville M8 mixer http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=71&cat=55&id=130

with two Yorkville NX84 speakers

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=71&cat=31&id=214. The above products are all discontinued.

I believe the speakers cost about $100.00 each and the mixer about $250.00. All of them used.

When I need a larger system for my single/duo I use an old Yorkville S8 (about 250 watts a side) and a couple of Yorkville NX350's. Total cost of that system was right around $700.00 used.

In fact I just used that system for a five piece band at a small low prodution casual at a golf club. Worked well.

To the OP, if you can finid a nice powered board and a couple of used but functioning speakers 10" or 12" you could get in for $700 or $800. That would probably be before stands, mics and cables, unless you got incredibly lucky.

Try to buy something that would also work for a band (in a lo pro setting) so that your system is flexible, and a worthwhile investment.

• Members

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that reinforcing sound at relatively low levels is exponentially easier and cheaper than filling larger areas with more volume. However, like everything I post, I'm sure someone will be around to correct me.

At any rate, with your budget, as has been said already, a passive mixer and Behringer powered speakers or a used powered mixer and a couple of speakers are probably the most likely solutions. One poster mentioned the possibility of finding speakers lighter than the Yamaha Clubs. Though I have no direct experience with them, I have read many positive reports from people using Peavey PR12s, a lightweight speaker that sells for only $169 new.

Naturally, some here will think that any speaker in that price range is bound to sound worse than fingernails on a chalk board, but I'd check them out if you have a chance.

I do have the Yamaha Club 112s, and I don't consider them difficult to place on a stand. They weigh around 45 lbs apiece.

As for monitoring, I'd practice placing the mains where you can hear them well enough without causing feedback to eliminate the need for a separate monitor system. This also opens you up to the older used powered mixers, as they usually had only a single power amp in them, while nearly all of today's models contain two amps, usually used for mains and monitors.

• Members

Agreed.

I've got lots of band PA gear, but I still do singles and duos - so it's of interest to me anyway.

When I do a single in a small room I often use a Yorkville M8 mixer

with two Yorkville NX84 speakers

. The above products are all discontinued.

I believe the speakers cost about $100.00 each and the mixer about $250.00. All of them used.

That M8 is a cool little piece of gear, and with those little 4 ohm speakers makes a nice little mini PA. A shame they discontinued them!

Louis

Archived