in ear monitors?

• Members

You also need a board with as many auxes/mon sends as you need separate mixes. The whole band can run off of one mix but that is near impossible to accomplish since everybody will want their own mix.

You will also need to mic or go direct with everything you want to hear. IEMs really only work well when your ear canal is sealed. That means you can't rely on stage sound for monitoring.

• Members

If someone uses ambient mics, would that help the "stage sound" get to your mix?

Yes but it is nowhere near what the non-IEM band is used to hearing. The mics would need to be placed towards the stage which is not the normal configuration. I guess just about anything is possible. Maybe the snare mic picks up enough stage sound that they won't need anything else. I still would not rely on the sound from ambient mics to give a good monitoring of the performance. Two out of the three of us use no ambients at all and the third (me) uses the ambient lav mic that Shure sells for my unit. I really only use it when we are NOT playing.

I just wanted the OP to realize the switch is more complicated then it may appear. I know a few bands that thought their IEM mix would just be the same as their wedge mix. They were very surprised at the actual requirements for the switch. They decided to stay with the wedges.

I just wanted to spell it out a little better for the OP. He has a set of earbuds and wants to switch to IEMs. It is a bit more complicated then that. Kind of like having a keychain and wondering what else he needs to drive a car. The keychain is usable but you need a few more pieces to get the car moving, like the car.

• Members

I would recommend The Allen & Heath in-ear monitor board it's a 16 channel Mixwizard with 12 auxes it allows you to run either 12 mono or 6 stereo mixes or any combination there of.It also has a split built into the board so you would need to plug all the mics into the board and have a 16 channel xlr snake to go from the split to the front of house snake. Depending on what type of case you mount the board in you might want another xlr snake for the inputs because in some racks the way the board mounts it can be difficult to get to the inputs(if you know the mixwizard you understand what i mean if not you will when you see it). Stereo mixes in in-ears is so much better than a mono mix you can pan things out for each mix making much easier to hear everything clearly. the board sells for $1999.99 at musicians friend and it is a great sounding board. I would also go with either sennheiser or shure in ear units the galaxy and audio technica don't sound as good.

I work for a touring band that uses in-ears and have the sennheiser units with a crest xr-20m board which is the same as the allen & heath but a little more expensive. even though we use the in-ears we still have stage wedges because without them people who are right up in front of the stage don't hear what they are used to hearing. in many rooms we play if you are right up on the stage you are behind the front of the pa or between the stacks so the wedges fill in what they lose from the pa.

• Members
we still have stage wedges because without them people who are right up in front of the stage don't hear what they are used to hearing. in many rooms we play if you are right up on the stage you are behind the front of the pa or between the stacks so the wedges fill in what they lose from the pa.

Maybe try front fills :idea: ? A couple of them old monitors turned around would do and make the sound clearer than bouncing it off the back wall first :) .

• Members

I know I jujst have the earbuds lol. thats what my original post said.

Just to clarify, when one says 'in ear monitors' I believe many assume a full system, which includes the wired bodypack or wireless receiver and transmitter, as well as the earbuds.

• Members

How may of the band need (not want, need) to be wireless? Those who don't need to be (drums, keys, any guitarist/bassist who uses a cable) can use one of these: :
or this:

If I were to use the rockonaudio version what would I tell my sound guy? Just to run a monitor mix into the box? I've never used in ears before and I hate getting in that situation where I can't hear enough of my vocals, so I just want something cheap like this to make sure I always hear enough vocal.

• Members

5 people using IEMs pretty much puts you in the situation of needing a separate monitor mixer. Unless you have two non-singing members who could share a mix, everyone will certainly want/need their own mix. And monitor mixers tend to be pretty pricey. The forementioned A&H board is the least-expensive one I know of at $2K. Of course, there are always used options out there. (I use an A&H I bought used.)

It's not a cheap system to get into, by any means. Transmitters/receivers and decent ear buds are going to run at LEAST $500 per member. You'll need a jumper-snake for the monitor mixer (couple hundred more). To do it right, look to be spending $5-8K to get 5 people all going on IEMs.

Archived