The continuing barncaster saga

Freeman Keller

• Members

Some of you might remember the guitar that I built a couple of years ago out of hundred year old barn wood from an old homestead near where I live

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...924-barncaster

I donated that guitar to the conservation group that owns the land and they auctioned it at their annual dinner for a nice tidy little sum. After the auction a guy came up to me and said that he had been bidding on the guitar to give to his son for a Christmas gift. I said, "you know, I have some more of that wood and could build another one if you would donate that amount to the Land Trust". He said he would. Then I thought to myself, my son was interested in that guitar, maybe I'll make one for him for Christmas and likewise make a donation to the Land Trust. Then I thought even more (that's a bad sign) and decide that maybe I should make a third one (actually forth when you count the original) - either I can keep it (and make a donation) or someone else might buy it (ditto).

So, three more little pine wood tele clones out in the shop

IMG_3563_zpsiysumvcb.jpg

IMG_3565_zpstxibnqle.jpg

So then I get a call from the Land Trust telling me that the owl's nest in the barn is in danger of collapsing and wondering if I thought we could do something to stabilize it. It turns out that owls do not build their own nests but "appropriate" the nests of other birds - hawks or ravens - and momma owl was unlikely to fix the nest on her own.

Well, since one of my other hobbies besides making sawdust is climbing in the Cascade mountains I called another climbing buddy and we went up to the barn yesterday. When we opened the door to the barn the owl flew out - she roosts there all winter (don't know where last year's babies went). Sure enough the nest is falling apart

IMG_3595_zps7cbu5ls0.jpg

We had an extension ladder and some climbing gear with us - the ladder wouldn't reach the top of the barn so we climbed up as high as possible, threw a rope over a beam and pulled the ladder to the peak of the roof

IMG_3597_zps3v6s8bhi.jpg

That way we could climb up to the nest and stabilize it with a network of ropes under it

IMG_3596_zpsrncxt8wf.jpg

Once we got the nest stable we hauled up a couple of buckets of twigs and made the nest better - if momma owl wouldn't do it I guess we had to. The Land Trust told my friend and me that if there are two babies next year they will name them Mark and Freeman.

ps - it was ten degrees F when I left my house to go do this little project - reminded me of my old ice climbing days....

Archived