Fender 1976 Silverface Twin Reverb opinions?

KjStrat62

• Members

The 76 twin uses the same circuit as the Dual Showman head. Twins are incredibly loud and clean sounding amps. I believe that year has a pull boost switch and a master volume. At least the master volume will help you run the amp at lower volumes.

100W twins are no toys. These a medium to big venue amps that can easily keep up with a Marshall half stack. They can have allot of top end cleans too. I saw Roy Buchannan use one in a medium sized theatre at New York's Radio City Music Hall all and the Philadelphia Spectrum which holds 60,000 people. He melted peoples faces with his Tele and that amp. I've heard them being used in a living room at a band rehearsal cranked up and it pealed the paint off the walls.

The amp does sound great though. Well balanced tone and the amp takes pedals very well. I've played through several and they do take pedals well. The problem is you have to throttle the thing down so much for normal gigs and rehearsals, you don't get to hear its full tune neutering it down like that. Its like buying a muscle car and tooling around in the 35mph zone. You know you're going to get pulled over the second you punch it. That amp is designed for the open highway and will burn up a race track.

That's why you find so many being sold. They're impractical for most clubs and running them at low volume they never the saturated tones you want from a good tube amp. If you have a sound proofed bomb shelter for rehearsal you can crank them up and damage your hearing. Just be sure you're wearing asbestos when you stand in front of the thing. That amp will flame your rear end. Personally I love the sound of those amps but I already suffer from mild hearing loss. I'll stick with my 50W fender. Its more then able to do the job.

• Members

WRGKMC,, Great review.. I am able to dial down the volume courtesy of the master volume. Believe it or not i live in a apt. temp. Am able to practice it with it here. I did test the power tubes. Needs a fresh set. One downsize, It weighs a ton. But I got a dolly and it does have casters.Overall the amp is in great shape for a 76. I assume it sat for a while. New cover original ftsw. Im ready to take it on the gig road KJ

Is your Twin the 100 Watt version or is it 130 Watts?

If it's really a '76, then it should be the 100 watt version. The Ultralinear 135W Twin models didn't come out until early 1977 IIRC...

FWIW, a silverface Twin can be a great amp. I prefer the earlier, non-master volume models myself, and I am not really a fan of the Ultralinear models, but the earlier ones are great amps for those (relatively) few who can use that kind of power. For everyone else, I think the Pro Reverb is a more reasonable choice, with more realistic "real world" power.

• Members

If it's really a '76, then it should be the 100 watt version. The Ultralinear 135W Twin models didn't come out until early 1977 IIRC...

FWIW, a silverface Twin can be a great amp. I prefer the earlier, non-master volume models myself, and I am not really a fan of the Ultralinear models, but the earlier ones are great amps for those (relatively) few who can use that kind of power. For everyone else, I think the Pro Reverb is a more reasonable choice, with more realistic "real world" power.

The Ultralinear ones sound really good if you use the normal channel and remove all of the tubes that are exclusive to the Vibrato channel.

Another neat trick is to bring the Reverb return from the tank into the normal channel (plugging the guitar onto the Vibrato channel with all the tubes in the amp.

I found the overdrive on the Pull Out Master Volume Twins had a bit more drive if the reverb springs were disconnected so I modified the Bright switch to disconnect the Reverb send when turned on - which caused a bit of confusion for an ususpecting player who used my amp at a show.

Archived