Looking advice for hardware and color for splayed maple tele

MesaMonster

• Members

To be perfectly candid, I think black, gold or chrome would look great. But if I had to choose one, it'd be black. It'd make for a nice contrast between the wood and the hardware, especially if you went for black tuners as well. Chrome would also look very nice, and while gold would work, I think it would blend in with the colour of the wood a bit too much. It would look very "vintage" with gold, while black would be fairly modern looking. Chrome would fall somewhere in between

• Members

Here's a spalted pair I am working on right now.

​I tried every pickguard possible on the strat and settled on the contrasting spalted one. For the tele, I am going with the spalted pickup ring and control plate and no pickguard on the tele, though black would be my second choice. Bridge and turners will be chrome. I don't really like the all black hardware. To me it just looks too edgy and heavy metal.

xUThBa.jpg

YOqXHP.jpg

egllYs.jpg

• Members

Thanks! Both bodies were unfinished when I got them. I used Minwax wood conditioner, Minwax natural stain and Watco gloss lacquer to finish. The back and sides are Ash but were very close grained so I didn't have need for any grain filler. I had a couple small voids that I filled with color match putty between lacquer coats. In some areas I used a black, in others I matched the wood tone as closely as possible. The necks got the same natural stain and Watco satin lacquer. The Strat pickguard was left natural and sprayed with semi-gloss lacquer.

Archived