Which active stage monitors are worth considering?

• Members

I'm looking for a couple of active monitors with a good sound for a reasonable price (preferably under $300), as most of my money is into the PRX series for mains. The stage doesn't need to be particularly loud, and a decent sound is more important to me than a lot of sound. They will be used for a variety of music styles and instruments (vocals, brass, guitar etc).

I was looking at maybe the Behringer Eurolive F3120D, but I also like the form factor and inputs versatility of the Nady FWA-12. Has anyone worked with or heard either of these and can give some feedback on the sound quality and reliability? What other monitors would you recommend?

• Members

I doubt you'll get very much love on that level product here. I would rather have a used pair of something that was originally a $500-700 monitor myself. even a pair of yamaha club wedges and a small amp or powered mixer would be better IMO. if you want disposable monitors then perhaps the nady or behr would work.

• Members

Mayb be these http://www.ebay.com/itm/dB-Technologies-RCF-Cromo-10-180-watt-10-Monitor-Speaker-PROAUDIOSTAR-/300599003606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd18c9d6 they got 2 left

You could start with one is better then what you have in mind and their efficient drivers so don't take much power to drive a super efficient speaker to make your ears bleed.

• Members

For a little more you can get these.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV115PM?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=PV115PM&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=10&zmap=PV115PM&SID=0

I've been using 2 for some time now and they come in handy. Even for small mains.

They are biamped with 150 watts to the woofer and 50 for the horn.

The woofer is 200 watt rms, 400 watt program rated woofer. (Very robust for a 150 watt rms amp section)

http://www.peavey.com/products/speakers/proaudiospeakers/index.cfm/item/112943/PRO15.cfm

If you don't need monitors that put out 134dbs but are still looking for a good full sound these do a good job all around.

Dookietwo

• Members

I got a chance to listen to a few of the lower priced monitors at gc yesterday and man was I disappointed. This shouldn't come as a surprise, but I was hoping with the lower power requirement that there might be something in a lower price range. There are a couple other models I'd like to see if any one has an opinion on, the Samson Live L612M and also for unpowered, Samson Resound HD RS12mHD or Yorkville YX12M. I've liked Yorkville in the past, but has anyone heard the YX line?

• Members

I doubt your gonna get much for $300 be realistic bro your gonna be dicking around with entry level crap you'll never be happy with and basically wasting time and money.

Here's some RFC refurb. that comes with the manufacturer warranty and the guy is authorized dealer for $100 more then your $300 budget you can get a speaker that would rival your PRX speaker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART-312A-Active-Powered-Speaker-ART312A-Authorized-Dealer-/290627964898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aac6cfe2

I rather have 1 kick ass speaker then a dozen POS crappy speakers.

• Members

I doubt your gonna get much for $300 be realistic bro your gonna be dicking around with entry level crap you'll never be happy with and basically wasting time and money.

Here's some RFC refurb. that comes with the manufacturer warranty and the guy is authorized dealer for $100 more then your $300 budget you can get a speaker that would rival your PRX speaker.

Defenitely some RCF art 312As if you can get them for 400$. I keep forgetting them because they still sell at 700$ here in Canada... 310As would also make some excellent, lightweight and loud and compact monitors.

Al

• Members

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART-312A-Active-Powered-Speaker-ART312A-Authorized-Dealer-/290627964898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aac6cfe2#ht_2894wt_1159

Here are new ones for $399 / ea. I think you can get a pair of refurbs for ~$750. I just bought four new ones about a month ago from the same vendor, (TMS), with no problems.

• Members

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART-312A-Active-Powered-Speaker-ART312A-Authorized-Dealer-/290627964898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aac6cfe2#ht_2894wt_1159

Here are new ones for $399 / ea. I think you can get a pair of refurbs for ~$750. I just bought four new ones about a month ago from the same vendor, (TMS), with no problems.

Looks like the same dealer and glad you took the advice as mentioned in your thread and all is working out good for ya. :cool: I'm wondering ? since this dealer is out of NY and RFC is out of Italy if he's got Mafia ties and had his mafia buddies rob a couple of huge cargo freighter boats down on the NY harbor. :lol:

I know he sure does have awesome prices on them that's fer sure. :thu:

• Members

I went the Behringer 212D route and am pleased. Then again, I only use monitors so I can here where I am vocally. Kinda silly to get a top of the line house speaker for that. But thats me......

Well I'm not into gambling with gear in mission critical situation and with Behringer it's gonna be like a game of craps so roll of the dice, you might get lucky or you might not and crap out that's the chance you gotta take.

Plus $400 is dirt cheap for excellent MI grade speaker.

• Members

I tend to think that the quality of the monitor is equally important as the front of house. The more enjoyable my stage experience the better I perform. The better I perform the more gigs I book. The more gigs that I book the more I have to spend on things that I like.

• Members

I have both the Samson Live and Samson Aura that I use for monitors. The Live sounds a little better to my ears than the Aura, the Aura has somewhat of a plastic box feel. But I will say its very minimal so the difference in size and weight more than make up for it. The Aura is hands down the winner of these two IMHO of course.

Archived