Can I get some help with hooking up IEMs to my sound board?

• Members

Hey jwlussow ever use the wireless galaxy IEM ? Know singer looking for wireless IEM that won't break the bank. He can't afford the Shure, Senns or AT guy has 3 kids to feed and is working part time and gigging part time to make ends meet. Said the cymbal wash is starting to hurt his ears. Tried the musician ear buds but blocked out to much. As of now he been looking at the Nady units and I forgot about the Galaxy units.

• Members

I've personally never used one but I have heard very good things about them from people I totally trust. Please make sure he stays far away from Nady and Carvin. I've owned them both and they both worse then suck. The Galaxy stuff is really very good for the money and will be much better then Nady or Carvin. I currently use he PSM200 and I am very happy with it. The Galaxy 900 and 1000 both offer stereo or dual mono and people compare the sound to the lower end Shure stuff which is actually very usable. Make sure he saves for better buds as most IEMs ship with pretty bad buds. My PSM200 shipped with E2s which are actually probably the best buds to ship with any system close to the price range.

• Members

jwlussow: thanks for that great reply. your comments definitely do not fall on deaf ears (no pun intended). I already have the earbuds in my possession (and I love them), so I'm already out that $. The headphone amp is also ordered and shipped, so I could technically return it without even opening it. The only reason I have hesitation is because it' so cheap, and it allows me to stay connected to my instrument cable (I also play guitar while I sing). This cohesion of my instrument cable to my monitor mix cable makes this unit really appealing to me; combine the low cost with the limiting, and it really feels like a great buy (to me at least).

The only downfall as it looks right now is that I won't be able take full advantage of the stereo headphones. But that's okay; as you mentioned, mono should work fine for my current needs.

Everyone, thanks for the grand degree of help in this thread! I learned a lot about my mixer. This is knowledge that will help me, and help my band.:idea:

• Members

Sorry, one last question...

Am I only going to hear sound in 1 of my earbuds?

EDIT: I think I may have figured it out on my own. I need to take the mono signal, and be able to send it to both sides of the stereo receiver (headphones). So, I assume that I need a small 1/4"mono->1/8" stereo plug, which I can probably find at Radioshack?

• Members
I'm using a couple $175 Galaxy AS-900 IEM's that seem to work great. Being single frequency they might not be the best choice for downtown NYC
;)
but how many weekend bands ever change their frequencies anyways?

Well me and the singer I know is in tiny town compared to NYC so I doubt the single frequency thing would ever be a issues since he'll be the only guy with IME's only concern is most places that hire bands all have wifi so not sure if that would cause a problem.

• Members

Sorry, one last question...

Am I only going to hear sound in 1 of my earbuds?

EDIT: I think I may have figured it out on my own. I need to take the mono signal, and be able to send it to both sides of the stereo receiver (headphones). So, I assume that I need a small 1/4"mono->1/8" stereo plug, which I can probably find at Radioshack?

Should work if the mono 1/4" sums the 1/8" stereo

Might try Hosa web site they got like thousands of different type of cables and adaptors not sure what the rat shack might carry most of the sales people are clueless about their audio products and just know mainly about cell phones and calculator is my experience with the rat shack folks.

• Members

Hey jwlussow ever use the wireless galaxy IEM ? Know singer looking for wireless IEM that won't break the bank. He can't afford the Shure, Senns or AT guy has 3 kids to feed and is working part time and gigging part time to make ends meet. Said the cymbal wash is starting to hurt his ears. Tried the musician ear buds but blocked out to much. As of now he been looking at the Nady units and I forgot about the Galaxy units.

The other guitar player in our band just got one. Got to set it up earlier today and fiddle with it. Very nice for the price.

He was using an old Rolls unit that was discontinued about 6yrs ago that worked well for the 100.00 price tag but was in the illegal band and falling apart. I got to say the Rolls unit was a rugged little system for as cheap as it was,had it about 10yrs. Probably not the best unit out there though! LOL.

• Members

The other guitar player in our band just got one. Got to set it up earlier today and fiddle with it. Very nice for the price.

He was using an old Rolls unit that was discontinued about 6yrs ago that worked well for the 100.00 price tag but was in the illegal band and falling apart. I got to say the Rolls unit was a rugged little system for as cheap as it was,had it about 10yrs. Probably not the best unit out there though! LOL.

Thanks and you to RR I sent the singer a email with a link to the galaxy I know that's right in his price range.

Sure he'll buy better ear buds later on and sorry Syyle not trying to hijack your thread,

• Members

I think most mono IEM bodypacks will drive stereo earphones just fine. A notable exception is the Nady E03 - I had to get a male mono to female stereo 1/8" adapter for one.

You were the other guy that bought those... Weren't they incredible? I moved up to Carvin from them and I missed the Nady. How long did you use them?

• Members
You were the other guy that bought those... Weren't they incredible? I moved up to Carvin from them and I missed the Nady. How long did you use them?

I never owned a E03, a singer I work with has one and had only one bud working :freak: . He thought the bodypack was bad but had replaced the buds at one point with a "standard" stereo pair. The Galaxy AS-900 is less expensive and can run stereo if needed someday.

• Members

Well, just being able to HEAR myself as a singer when on a loud stage is reason enough to use this set up. That it lacks stereo is unfortunate, but I'll deal with that.

Not sure what you mean by "use mono headphones"...? I've got the ultimate ears triple fi earbuds; I'm pretty sure i don't want to replace those :/

No, it sends the same signal to both ears. The PA system is run in Mono, Monitors/Wedges are in Mono. Stereo is really for recording.

Archived