Suggest me a good guitar

Tacenda

• Members

I would focus on learning but the guitar I have right now is just some cheap skate guitars picked it from the website for around $50 what would you expect from a $50 guitar ? The paint even started to come off

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Since you've know quite a lot from ibanez I have a friend he have a satin sunburst ibanez with like yellowish inlay I think the guitar was pretty old since stuff started to turn yellow any ideas ? It's a cutaway btw

I couldn't possibly tell you without a picture or a model number and maybe not even then. Sometimes guitars have a tinted finish to simulate aging. I can't say whether your friend's guitar does or not. Old guitars can have structural issues that can be expensive to fix. Honestly, since you're a beginner I'd advise against buying a used guitar unless it's practically new. You mentioned that Takamine is available where you are and the GD20-NS is a nice moderately priced guitar with a solid top: http://www.takamine.com/GD20-NS. The Epiphone AJ-220S is another nice guitar for even less money but it doesn't have the satin finish you wanted: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/AJ-220S.aspx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you lıke Acoustic , I suggest Seagull . The Seagull S6 is a great guitar at a fabulous price. It features a solid cedar top and laminate cherry back and sides. The cedar lends warmth to its sound and the cherry adds something unique (cherry is not nearly as commonly found in acoustic guitars as woods suck as spruce, cedar, rosewood, or mahogany).

The neck of the S6 is maple, while its fretboard is rosewood.Acoustic guitars with maple necks tend to sound punchy and well defined, and the maple construction of this guitar’s neck balances the warmth of its cedar top. The rosewood fretboard adds to that warmth and rounds the sound of the guitar off in a way that something like ebony would not.

Owners of the S6 cite its extraordinary value, claiming that though its back and sides are laminate, its sound is full and rich. They also remark positively on its playability and overall solid construction.

• Members

Looks like you're fairly new to the Forum so welcome aboard. Those are some interesting choices, especially the Lag, but there are a couple of things to consider: First, Tacenda, the OP, prefers larger guitars like the Yamaha you recommended. Second, he's in Malaysia so we need to recommend guitars he can actually buy and play. Third, he's fairly new to guitar so the electronics would be a waste of money. Just IMHO but still.... The rest of us have been going around and around with Tacenda for a month so we already know this stuff. Thanks for contributing though and please keep posting.

• Members

just a thought, but you could always just forget about what name is on the headstock and start looking for a guitar that fits you... fits your hands, fits your ear... your style... ?

there are many on these forums that have the knowledge you are looking for,and so much more, but it helps you more to ask about specific things, things that are of particular interest to your needs to start with or it gets really confusing.. really quickly.

good luck on your search!

• Members
just a thought, but you could always just forget about what name is on the headstock and start looking for a guitar that fits you... fits your hands, fits your ear... your style... ?

there are many on these forums that have the knowledge you are looking for,and so much more, but it helps you more to ask about specific things, things that are of particular interest to your needs to start with or it gets really confusing.. really quickly.

good luck on your search!

I'll second that -and to add this :

Buy it used and youll get a better bang for your buck -

theirs alot of good advice here as far as brands -

but what you hear when your playing the guitar is whats the most important -

Ive played a few guitars that people said were great guitars -that did not do anything for me-

Also take a friend with you who plays guitar -you can hear it better plus get a second opinion.

I wish you the Best !

• Members
I'll second that -and to add this :

Buy it used and youll get a better bang for your buck - . . .

. . . Also take a friend with you who plays guitar -you can hear it better plus get a second opinion.

I wish you the Best !

The OP isn't very experienced so I'd be hesitant recommending a used guitar. Plus, it doesn't sound like there's a whole lot available where he lives. Beyond that, excellent advice. Unfortunately, he hasn't posted in this thread in a couple of weeks so we don't know if he's still looking or not.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

At that price range your can get yourself a really nice Crafter. A few years ago I was going to buy my dream guitar (Taylor 814CE) until I played a Crafter. At least to my ears, the Crafter sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, I purchased the crafter online and the setup was horrendous. I got it setup for a few more bucks and at least to my ears, I got a guitar that I think rivals guitars that cost a few thousand dollars.

• Members

Who-hoo! Old post, forgotten post( by the OP). Always fun when folks want THE BEST sound, and have a sub-grand price point. They're all pretty much the same. Should be after playability, neck profile, size...

Under 2k lately, and all of them are pretty much cookie cutter. Few exceptions of course.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The Seagull S6 is a great guitar at a fantastic price. Seagull is making great guitars and the S6 Original is no exception. It has a solid cedar top with Canadian wild cherry back and sides. Stripped down from electronics, standard dreadnought body, this is one of the best acoustic guitars that one could possibly buy with money.

The S6 offers entry-level players the chance to get as close as possible to a premium guitar feeling.

• Members

Again, this is a moderately old thread and the OP actually bought a guitar in September. Since he's fairly new to the instrument, I wouldn't recommend a used guitar. Otherwise, good advice. You're not the first person to recommend a Snark or other clip on tuner. I also recommended a soundhole tuner. d'Addario, Korg, and Shadow all make them and it looks like they'd be simple to install without modifying the guitar.

• Members

I'll fourth the Epiphone masterbuilt series -solid wood ( which gets better with age ) a great place to start at your price range -Im not Buy Chinese guitar kind of person -but they are a good bang for the buck .

I also would not remove Eastman ( used of course from your list ) Happy hunting !

P.S Im not a Crafter fan -

Archived