Who makes mic holder/clips that don't pull apart!!

• Members

Back to the original issue: the brass insert in the base of the mic clip is being pulled out of the base of the clip. The top part (that holds the microphone) is not breaking. Thus, having a stronger base (the part that threads onto the stand) would address the problem. Right?

If so, then might an all-metal base fix the issue? I wonder whether the metal base of an old Shure 55 (or similar) mic could be adapted to mic clip use. The head of the mic would be removed, and the top part of an ordinary clip would be placed in the hinge joint. You might need washers or bushings to make an appropriate fit; you would just have to measure the parts to see what you need. I've never measured, and different brands of mic clips might have different widths of joint area.

Just thinking out loud for an alternative.... Mark C.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm... I wonder if someone could make a neo magnet based "holder"? You'd have to fasten a couple on the mic but that wouldn't be a showstopper if you always use the same mic for these "special" singers...

That's the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. A strong magnetic top of the mic stand, coupled with a slightly-less-strong one wrapped around the body of the mic. I'm not sure what that'd do if people started singing into the mic while it was on the stand, though -- and it might be awkward for singers who repeatedly take and replace the mic from the stand, since people are used to having that clip there. Might result in a lot of mics hitting the floor.

Interesting idea, though. We've got stacks of hard drive magnets here that we could use to test something out, but I'd be worried about the magnet interfering with the mic element itself.

• Members

I am thinking these may work (Modulusman posted earlier)

00050240_2.jpg

They are a good clip. It is hard rubber so it will bend better than a plastic clip and not break. You never see anybody talk about Peavey mic cables either. I own probably 30 of them and never had a failure.

• Members

Back to the original issue: the brass insert in the base of the mic clip is being pulled out of the base of the clip. The top part (that holds the microphone) is not breaking. Thus, having a stronger base (the part that threads onto the stand) would address the problem. Right?

If so, then might an all-metal base fix the issue?

I did some more testing today... the results are a bit puzzling.

I determined the yield strenght of the threaded brass inserts in the base of the V-1 mic clips seems to average approx. 71lbs. on a dead pull... average over 10 tested clips, lowest was 68lbs., highest was 74lbs. The 10ea. clips were randomly selected by coneing & dividing & repeating from approx. 400ea. clips of current inventory.

The yield strenght of the V-1 mic clip housing a Shure SM-58 seems to average approx 26lbs. on a dead straight up pull.

A 70's vintage Atlas round base mic stand equipped with a K&M boom arm weighs approx. 11.5 lbs. (which was the heaviest stand I had on-hand).

Since the force required to pull a Shure SM-58 staight up out of the clip (90 degrees against the intended path for R&R)... that force seems to be approx. double the weight of the stand; therefore, I suspect the mic is being pried out of the clip by grabbing just below the ball then lifting the front of the mic up and prying the mic out of the clip against the connector & stand tube. I tested this possibility and initially was not successful in replicating what's been reported in the thread; however, I was successful in removing the threaded brass insert by fairly seriously twisting the mic to the side while prying the mic up and against the stand tube (and fairly well ruined the FXLR cord end that was hooked to the mic in the process).

At this point, it seems one solution would be to make the mic holding clip portion of the V1 clip weaker, but I think I'll work on improving the durability of the insert... because I'm personally well satisfied with everything having to do with the mic holding clip portion of the V1 clip.

• Members

I suspect the mic is being pried out of the clip by grabbing just below the ball then lifting the front of the mic up and prying the mic out of the clip against the connector & stand tube.

This is what is happening, it won't come apart on the first try but after multiple times a night it pretty much just pry's the brass insert out of the holder.

There is nothing wrong with the mic holding portion, just the brass insert...

• Members

This is what is happening, it won't come apart on the first try but after multiple times a night it pretty much just pry's the brass insert out of the holder.

There is nothing wrong with the mic holding portion, just the brass insert...

Today I demonstrated to the crew what the mic clip problem was (as they were all very curious when they came into work this morning what the heck I was doing suspending a mic stand by it's clip and pileing weights on the stand base till I ripped the clip apart). Part and parcel to what I suspected was the application (which you've confirmed)... my faithful assistant Cliff (who's a 25+ year veteren of retail music stores) observed: "So... instead of our mic clip shedding one side or the other of the mic clamp portion when the mic is pried out of the clip, like many/most other clips commonly would in that type of usage, the problem is that the mic holding part of the clip doesn't break away or otherwise is deformed, the problem is that the brass insert might be ripped out if the process is repeated enough times?"

I replied: "It appears so."

Cliff shook his head and walked away.

Since I write the paychecks here (and make the wheels go around that results in having the ability to write the paychecks)... I'm on it to fix the problem... which I've since made some mock-ups that appear to solve the reported problem. It's all good as "better" comes from discovering what's not quite "good enough"... and getting your head around the problem.

If you hadn't brought this up, I wouldn't of thunk it, as I've whitnessed quite a few performers try to pry mics out of the V1 clips, and when they couldn't... then they apparently figured out that the mic pulls out of the clip a lot easier than it pries out of the clip. I've never seen anyone actually try to twist and pry a mic out of a V1 clip till something gave.

• Members
If you hadn't brought this up, I wouldn't of thunk it, as I've whitnessed quite a few performers try to pry mics out of the V1 clips, and when they couldn't... then they apparently figured out that the mic pulls out of the clip a lot easier than it pries out of the clip. I've never seen anyone actually try to twist and pry a mic out of a V1 clip till something gave.

There's a certain "hardcore" element to the music scene out here where this kind of violent dramatic gesture has a place. Guess yous country folks don't do much "moshing" LOL . As long as someone doesn't trash my mics and other equipment I can appreciate the "theatre" of it even if it costs an occasional clip.

• Members

There's a certain "hardcore" element to the music scene out here where this kind of violent dramatic gesture has a place. Guess yous country folks don't do much "moshing" LOL . As long as someone doesn't trash my mics and other equipment I can appreciate the "theatre" of it even if it costs an occasional clip.

I was agruably a preferred production vendor for Sub Pop sometime in the late '80's and through the '90's... out here in "the country"... first in Idaho until the drinking age was raised from 19 to 21, and then I moved my operation across the boarder to Washington when that local university was somewhat unofficially recognized as the party college of the lower 48.

I have some inkling of what's needed.

I figure when I've accomplished indiscrimently smashing a mic into pieces and ripping the attached cable to shreds at the end of a mic stand, and in the process, trashing the mic stand into a pretzel... when "my" mic clip is the one and only thing left in-tact and usable among the assemblage (whatever it takes to get to that point)... then the design and manufacturing of the clip is perfected. Till "then", I figure there's room for improvement.

• Members

My day job is a mechanical designer so if you would like a mic clip with the threaded part made from Stainless steel and the clip from aluminum, and the two held together with a socket head cap screw let me know. It would cost more then many mics but it will not fail.

• Members

My day job is a career-tech teacher, my forte of which is working with identified students. I might be able to design a step-by-step lesson plan, comprehensive, yet simple enough to teach a musician how to remove a microphone from a clip.

I would consider it a challenge.

• Members
I figure when I've accomplished indiscrimently smashing a mic into pieces and ripping the attached cable to shreds at the end of a mic stand, and in the process, trashing the mic stand into a pretzel... when "my" mic clip is the one and only thing left in-tact and usable among the assemblage (whatever it takes to get to that point)... then the design and manufacturing of the clip is perfected. Till "then", I figure there's room for improvement.

So, after the coming apocalypse the only things left will be cockroaches and AudioPile mic clips? :D

• Members
My day job is a career-tech teacher, my forte of which is working with identified students. I might be able to design a step-by-step lesson plan, comprehensive, yet simple enough to teach a musician how to remove a microphone from a clip.

I would consider it a challenge.

While you're at it do you think you can teach subhumans how to adjust a mic stand without destroying the clutches or bending the boom? :facepalm:

• Members
My day job is a mechanical designer so if you would like a mic clip with the threaded part made from Stainless steel and the clip from aluminum, and the two held together with a socket head cap screw let me know. It would cost more then many mics but it will not fail.

The clip itself has to yield enough to conform to different mics and survive the "rip the mic out without sliding it for dramatic effect' described.

• Members

There's a certain "hardcore" element to the music scene out here where this kind of violent dramatic gesture has a place.

I can appreciate the "theatre" of it even if it costs an occasional clip.

I've been thinking about this "theatre" aspect of ripping a mic out of the clip.

Considering theatre aspects, I'll suggest rather than a quest for clips that hold up in this application, go the other direction... source dirt cheap clips that impressively shatter into pieces when the mic is ripped out... like the "candy glass" used in movie props. I'd suspect the same talent that rips the mic out of the clip for effect, also likely doesn't replace the mic in the clip, but rather just lets go when they're done, dropping the mic on the stage... so they probably don't need a functional clip to put the mic back into.

• Members
While you're at it do you think you can teach subhumans how to adjust a mic stand without destroying the clutches or bending the boom?
:facepalm:

Don't even get me started on mic stand issues!!!!
You would think for some of them it was there first time ever trying to adjust a mic stand...
And why do they all feel the need to crank down every adjustment point to where I need to use pliers to undo them!

• Members
I'd suspect the same talent that rips the mic out of the clip for effect, also likely doesn't replace the mic in the clip, but rather just lets go when they're done, dropping the mic on the stage... so they probably don't need a functional clip to put the mic back into.

Surprisingly enough you only have to kick them in the balls a dozen times or so to break them of that habit :D .

Archived