Who makes mic holder/clips that don't pull apart!!

• Members

I've never heard of this happening before. Usually the weak-spot is around the mic. Either those were deffective clips, they were over-torqued, or they're getting cracked in storage/transport.

They are not over tightened, they are not cracked....its actually pretty easy to pop the brass insert out of these clips..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something's doesn't make sense here,,, Are you saying the singer wraps his hand around the mic (clip and all), and rips it off the stand? He's not sliding the mic out of the clip??????

basically, singers don't slide the mic out of the holder.

They just push the mic up to pop it out of the holder....this works until the brass fitting seperates from the plastic holder..

• Members

I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here folks...just looking for better mic clips.

If you have never seen this happen then I don't know what else to tell you.

Come to any of my shows with various different singers and I see it happen all the time.

• Members

Well like I said earlier, try using the rubber clips like you find with many of the wireless mics. Singers can pull the mic out of those any which way they want without destroying the clips.

Yah, all kidding aside I'd think those would be quite a bit more "knuckle dragger" proof than the plastic ones. I only have one of those that came with a line6 wireless and it seems like it will hold up - although I remember reading that they aren't as rugged as you'd think either?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/on-stage-stands-my100-unbreakable-rubber-mic-clip/452076000000000

• Members

The rubber clip might be the best suggestion as they are more flexible.

Sounds logical,,, but,,, if the singers' grasping/squeezing the mic AND the clip simultaneously, he's actually preventing the clip from releasing the mic. No damned wonder he's ripping it out.

He has to use less finger-grip,,, and hook his thumb under the capsule, lift and roll the mic out of the clip.

• Members

I use the regular Shure clips, and I can't think of an instance when one has broken. They're available in a 10-pack for something like $32 or $34. A box of those should last you a looong time.

And you should be able to pick the whole mic stand up by the mic without those Shure clips breaking. Seriously tough, finding a bad one even in the dry rentals is a once-a-year event (and we own something like 27 SM58 in the rental biz).

• Members

No....they actually pop off pretty easily, with not much effort at all....

Well... that's not good news.

The mic clip's brass thread insert is press fit into the PVC of the clip. I random sample and destruction test from every batch to confirm the brass inserts are what I consider to be a proper interferrence fit. Of-course, I can't destruction test all of them before shipping ;)

You've given me some food for thought. Taking it up a notch would be to have the threaded insert cast into the PVC of the clip, or produce a heavy duty version where the lower threaded portion is one piece, all metal.

• Members

Well... that's not good news.

The mic clip's brass thread insert is press fit into the PVC of the clip. I random sample and destruction test from every batch to confirm the brass inserts are what I consider to be a proper interferrence fit. Of-course, I can't destruction test all of them before shipping
;)

You've given me some food for thought. Taking it up a notch would be to have the threaded insert cast into the PVC of the clip, or produce a heavy duty version where the lower threaded portion is one piece, all metal.

I am sure if *I* was the one using the stand/mic in question it would probably never be an issue....however, when providing sound on the local bar circuit it becomes a PIA!

It would be easier for me to teach a monkey how to *slide* the mic out of the clip instead of just trying to pull it out....but these are *singers*...not monkeys!

I have someone local that is getting a sample of some metal type configuration, we'll see what that looks like when it comes in.

• Members

Out of curiousity, I cut open the one Shure clip I happened to have in my house. Here's the inner workings. As you can see, the brass insert is molded into the base of the clip, there's no way that sucker is pulling out. You'd have to seriously break the plastic to get that insert out, and that would be a tough job considering how durable these clips are.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342603[/ATTACH]

Also, the only tool I could quickly find to cut this with was a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and it smelled like ass. So I hope everyone appreciates my efforts. :)

• Members

Sounds like you just need to buy some higher quality mic clips, like Shure for example. It's funny, mic clips is something I have never had to worry about, but as more and more of the cheap Asian import stuff tempts you guys, the more these problems will arise. You really do get what you pay for.

• Members

Maybe, but obviously there is a difference.

Of course there is a difference between different clips -- Nobody is saying otherwise.

But in this case, it doesn't have anything to do with cheapness or country of origin. Shure accessories are relatively cheap and are imported.

• Members

Sounds like you just need to buy some higher quality mic clips, like Shure for example. It's funny, mic clips is something I have never had to worry about, but as more and more of the cheap Asian import stuff tempts you guys, the more these problems will arise. You really do get what you pay for.

Do you have any idea where 99.9% of all the mic clips come from?

I have some "Asian" mic clips that are some of the best I have ever used, and I have some that are probably the worst. The cost was the same as was the country of manufacture.

Archived