How do you deal with requested songs?

stratmansblues

• Members

Many years ago we played cruise ships - one week cruises in the Caribbean.

If we didn't know and couldn't pull the song off, we'd say, "We'll have it for you next week!" - always got a few laughs.

Then one week the requester booked two weeks in a row - the joke was on us. Fortunately it was OK, she was the girlfriend of the ship's doctor and came on once a year for two weeks.She had a sense of humor and we all got a kick out of it.

Right now we have on deck, "Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash, "Oh What A Night" - Four Seasons and we just finished "Ruby Baby" - Dion, "Jambalaya" - Fat's Domino, "Walking To New Orleans" - Fats Domino and "Iko Iko" - close to the Dr. John version but our take.

All by the "Walking To New Orleans" were requested by either clients of managers, and we did "Walkin" for our annual Fat Tuesday party.

It's work learning new songs, but I love having new material.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
Right now we have on deck, "Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash
I think you're the first guy I've ever encountered that didn't already know that one :D - or at least think they did :( . Most won't/can't play it as the 11 bar blues that it is - then complain that all blues songs sound the same :facepalm:.

• Members
I think you're the first guy I've ever encountered that didn't already know that one :D - or at least think they did :( . Most won't/can't play it as the 11 bar blues that it is - then complain that all blues songs sound the same :facepalm:.

Like most people, I'm familiar with it "I hear the train a-coming..." and could probably sing most of the words from memory, but I've never been in a band that played it. And I've been playing music professionally since the 1960s.

Why? No particular reason. It's not a favorite - in other words - there are other popular songs I'd rather learn, and we never had a request for it.

When I learn an new song, since I do my own backing tracks, I like to hear the original hit recording and the sheet music for most songs without standard chord progressions. If I want to depart from the original, I want to know where the original is, what I'm changing and why I'm changing it.

As far as all blues songs sounding the same - I don't buy that. Agreed 3 or 4 chords and few variations in the song structure gives you a limited palette to work with. But in many art forms you use a limited paette, like pen and ink paintings. Black and white, no grayscale. Saying all blues songs sound the same is like saying all pen and ink drawings look the same.

Sure many are similar, but that's because there are a lot of copycats ;)

Anyway, Folsum should be fun. As soon as I tame this new synth module, it's up next.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Holy crap. I never realized that it was just 11 bars but I just sang it in my head and counted the bars. I've always played it 11 bars just didn't realize I was doing it.

• Members

Then there's "Ring of Fire" with its occasional 3 and 5 beat measures :eek2:. Without the horn line to cue you it's pretty hard not to "generic" it - unless you're readin' the dots ;) .

EDIT> Hmm - looking back at my transcription I probably should have used 2/4 instead of 4/4 - then it just has an occasional extra beat (AKA "hitch" to the folkies ;) ).

Archived