Quality equipment is cheap in the long run...

• Members

That just goes to prove the point. I had a cheap one for a while that proved to be very expensive in the long run.

Well... I had an expensive one for awhile... a high maintenance blond... it was fun while it lasted (or so I was informed), but that proved to be very expensive too.

I have some warhorse Orban gear, that's somewhat "plain Jane"... but must be built for the ages and built for performance because it's always worked well... some of it's going on 30+ years of putting out without the slightest bit of discussion on the matter.

I

• Members

I had a brunette piece of local origin. It was well known to everyone I knew and everyone spoke highly of it. Sadly, the specifications were overblown and in the end, it went out on me ;)

Then I thought I would go for the really fancy blonde model. That truly impressed everyone that saw it, but unfortunately, when sound came out, it was less impressive.

I have had really good luck with my red model. This one you can really listen to as well as look at! This is fortunate since I was running out of colors to pick from :)

Oh, and all of them were crazy expensive!

• Members

Crown MacroTech Amps (not the new-school ones)

Eventually, these will probably cost me a lot more in chiropractor bills, but I'm still young enough that I can live with it. I'm sure some of the ones I have are almost as old as I am.

• Members
Crown MacroTech Amps (not the new-school ones)

Eventually, these will probably cost me a lot more in chiropractor bills, but I'm still young enough that I can live with it. I'm sure some of the ones I have are almost as old as I am.

I have a NOS MA-2402 still looking for a home. ;)

• Members

Finishing up some shop maintenance on our stock of smaller mixers and come to see that they are all 30 years old now. Out of 10 units that I still have, the only repairs have been to replace meter lights every 10 years (last time I modified w/ amber LEDs), and to clean the input pad stepped attenuator switch. I did modify one for the aus but to be pre-fader but other than that, nothing.

These mixers were ~1300 each new (for 6 channels!!!) but looking back, that was probably the cheapest ~$10k that I ever spent. I have made more money off of these boards than I have off of just about anything else when you factor in the number of years and total cost of ownership.

Other pieces that were of extreme value?

Yamaha 2031B eq's

Yamaha SPX-90/990 processors

Roland SDE series delays

Marantz pro CD players

Yamaha PM series consoles

QSC PLX(orig) amps

JBL 2241, 2206, 2226 and 2426 drivers

Shure UHF series wireless

Audio Technica 5000 series wireless

Older Rapco Venue 40 rack mount channel splitter snake

Older 120/240V, 50 amp power distro package

Belden 8412 mic cables (100 that are at least 20 years old and have thousands of shows on them, still work perfectly)

Anything you guys can think of from your own experiences?

I saw a 40 channel PM4000 at a client's on sale for $2500. My boss's band runs through a PM1200 that his soundguy found IN THE GARBAGE at work (CTV).

• Members

Finishing up some shop maintenance on our stock of smaller mixers and come to see that they are all 30 years old now. Out of 10 units that I still have, the only repairs have been to replace meter lights every 10 years (last time I modified w/ amber LEDs), and to clean the input pad stepped attenuator switch. I did modify one for the aus but to be pre-fader but other than that, nothing.

These mixers were ~1300 each new (for 6 channels!!!) but looking back, that was probably the cheapest ~$10k that I ever spent. I have made more money off of these boards than I have off of just about anything else when you factor in the number of years and total cost of ownership.

Other pieces that were of extreme value?

Yamaha 2031B eq's

Yamaha SPX-90/990 processors

Roland SDE series delays

Marantz pro CD players

Yamaha PM series consoles

QSC PLX(orig) amps

JBL 2241, 2206, 2226 and 2426 drivers

Shure UHF series wireless

Audio Technica 5000 series wireless

Older Rapco Venue 40 rack mount channel splitter snake

Older 120/240V, 50 amp power distro package

Belden 8412 mic cables (100 that are at least 20 years old and have thousands of shows on them, still work perfectly)

Anything you guys can think of from your own experiences?

The only problem with old electronics is electrolytics have a shelf life and a 20 year or so life in a component then values start changing. The worse thing is to let the stuff just sit and age without running it. Caps love to be charged and plugging the stuff in and running definitely is a big PLUS for Caps. BUT> unless you plan on recapping a unit that is 30 years old it is best to dump it and let someone else do it.

Personally, I am such a pack rat that I have a real hard time considering letting

anything go and my storage is proof of that.

Although I LOVE old gear when I see amps and stuff for sale that are 15years old

all I can think of is OLD capacitors and old caps in power supplies.

Last year I did some studio work with a band and the guy who owned the studio

had an old NEVE and he just had it completely re-capped. What a beautiful piece

of gear that console is and sounds fantastic.

• Members
Oh God do I, lost $500 on the DAT craze!!!

How about MiniDisc> At least they were generally reliable
;)

It seems ironic... first there were cassettes, although admittedly prior to cassettes there was cart tapes... I had a Spotmaster for awhile... but cart tapes didn't seem to make their way into mainstream SR work. It seems like 4 track tapes and then 8 tracks were a morph of cart tapes... and for a brief period, it seems there was some fairly limited use of 8 tracks in SR work... I still have a rack mount 8 track recorder/playback deck... I think it's an Akai unit... I'm a little fuzzy on that since it's been packed in a box for over 3 decades. Cassettes seemed to be the game changer that instituted use of pre-recorded material in SR work. Then along came ADAT... touted as an improvement over cassettes... but cassettes seemed to remain the medium of wide spread use. Then DAT... but cassettes still hung in there strong. Then CD

• Members

I have a DA30 sitting 5ft from me. Hasn't been used in... 2yrs.

next to a cassette deck. I might be able to find 2 or 3 cassettes in my house.

next to that is a behringer 4ch headphone amp. killer unit actually. last used: 2 yrs ago

Alesis monitor 1s. stewart PA200 amp. Both have been continously run since 01.

Behringer ADA8000, 8 yrs on 1, 4 on the other.

• Members

Hey guys...

I just sold my Crown K2 on ebay. The guy wants to come and do local pickup because he had one delivered and it self-destructed when plugged in. He said that the K2 has some caps attached to the case for cooling purposes and that they can get shaken loose in shipping.

Anyone else ever heard of this? I have never had an issue with mine, but then again, I have never dropped it either.

• Members

Hey guys...

I just sold my Crown K2 on ebay. The guy wants to come and do local pickup because he had one delivered and it self-destructed when plugged in. He said that the K2 has some caps attached to the case for cooling purposes and that they can get shaken loose in shipping.

Anyone else ever heard of this? I have never had an issue with mine, but then again, I have never dropped it either.

Nope, IME they ship pretty well... both in a rack and in a box.

• Members

Nope, IME they ship pretty well... both in a rack and in a box.

Thanks Andy. I have had pretty good luck with mine, and we were never trying to be gentle with the amp rack (actually, I remember it did get 1/2 dropped once on my bass players foot).

Archived