Can any Peavey guys help me out? 16FX content

• Members

Frustrating experience this weekend.

I recently had my 16FX repaired by a local shop (Authorized Peavey facility). It was having main L&R output issues)

I run the board in subwoofer mode with a few effects in the chain (FBF-Reverb-Xover)

The shop with info from Peavey fixed a known issue and the repair cost me a couple hundred $$.

First gig with the repaired board on Fri and since I was a bit gun-shy so I hooked it up in the garage and tested all the outputs. All good.

Get to the gig, set up and No sub signal going to amp. Led's showing signal but nothing coming out of the XLR or 1/4 main outs.

After checking cables and amp, I ended up using a sub out for kick and bass to get through the show.

Yesterday I pull the board out to troubleshoot and now I get signal from both main outs!

Killing me that this only seems to happen at gigs!

My guess is that it could be something with the digital processor. It runs at about 75% of capacity.

Obviously I need to take it back to the shop, but I wanted to see if any of you guys had any ideas. I love this mixer, but am about to dump it and get a Mixwiz! Money I don't really want to spend!

Thanks

• Members

If you havn't already tried you might post over on the peavey forums. http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=fc50292a5431afedaeae32d3d89a8352 I also have a 16fx that had the output issues. I actually bought the board used from my local store. I took it back to see about repair and they returned it to Peavey where it was fixed for free since this was a known issue. I have mine set-up in my livingroom right now in subwoofer mode with the feedback ferret and a reverb and my CPU usage is about 65% just idleing. Does your board have the latest updates? Mine is version 1.31 beta 2. I have only used the board once at a gig {not in subwoofer mode} since I got it. I plan to use it weekly in subwoofer mode this summer so I'm definately interested in what you find out. EDIT- BTW the manual is wrong as far as hook-up the left output is actually for the lows the manual said it was the right.

• Members

" Led's showing signal but nothing coming out of the XLR or 1/4 main outs."

The LED's are post dsp board, so your problem is probably elsewhere. When you had the problems before, did the LED arrays go out? If not, maybe they applied the known fix, but didn't actually address your specific problem.

Without seeing it, I'm not sure I can offer any words of wisdom.

• Members

It runs at about 75% of capacity.

Running this high is a bit worrisome; there is a long-running thread over on the Peavey forums on unloading the CPU a bit. This process made my FX into a champ.

As the previous post said, however, your issue did not sound like it was DSP related.

• Members

I think if it actually just solidly didnt work, and then it did later, i don't think thats a CPU issue. My experience was that the CPU would just cut in and out (regularly).

If the sub out (which i don't actually use) fully stopped, i would assume there was a more substantial issue. If it came back later, i'd be really testing it again and again and if it kept working, i would tend to think that i may have done something wrong.

• Members

the known fix

Is there a known serial number range that "the known fix" should be administered to? If so, could I contact the dealer we bought our FX board from to find out if our's should be fixed?

BTW: Our 16FX seems to be functioning fine, but then I'd suspect it's CPU runs at a small percentage of it's capacity... that is if the feedback ferret, or recording with it, or FX, or graphic EQ's employ the CPU... since I don't think our mixer lady uses any of that stuff... I dunno... I just hide in a corner and play bass and try to stay out of the band politics concerning "the mix"... except when I'm called upon to fix or figure out something that's glaringly askew.

• Members

Thanks for the replies gang.

It's baffling because the led's have worked all along. It just the main right and left output that are affected.

I'm going to clear all the effects and set it up in the office to bench test for a while and see if I can duplicate the problem.

• Members

Is there a known serial number range that "the known fix" should be administered to? If so, could I contact the dealer we bought our FX board from to find out if our's should be fixed?

BTW: Our 16FX seems to be functioning fine, but then I'd suspect it's CPU runs at a small percentage of it's capacity... that is if the feedback ferret, or recording with it, or FX, or graphic EQ's employ the CPU... since I don't think our mixer lady uses any of that stuff... I dunno... I just hide in a corner and play bass and try to stay out of the band politics concerning "the mix"... except when I'm called upon to fix or figure out something that's glaringly askew.

If it hasn't had the main outputs cut out it is probably fine. My guitar player and i both own one his has always worked fine mine had issues within the first half hour I used it.

• Members

Factory reset.

Updated kernel and firmware.

Turned off all extra processing in stereo and dual mono mode.

Processor at about 40%

Add a standard room reverb and it jumps to 70%.

I'm going to go with an external effects unit and bypass the built-in reverb. Seems to be working now, but it usually only fails at gigs anyway! I'm sure if I take it to the shop it'll be like a car going to a mechanic. "I swear it wasn't working last weekend!".

• Members

Factory reset.

Updated kernel and firmware.

Turned off all extra processing in stereo and dual mono mode.

Processor at about 40%

Add a standard room reverb and it jumps to 70%.

I'm going to go with an external effects unit and bypass the built-in reverb. Seems to be working now, but it usually only fails at gigs anyway! I'm sure if I take it to the shop it'll be like a car going to a mechanic. "I swear it wasn't working last weekend!".

Are you using one of the first 12 pre-sets for reverb? Those use alot of cpu power. I'm using #20 for effects1 and #28 for effects2 and my cpu is at about. 40%

• Members

As much as I like Peavey those hybrid Frankenboards freak me out
:freak:

I think soundman posted awhile back that there will be a newer version coming soon with all the bugs worked out. I like the board for the most part just not sure if I trust it. I always have a back-up board on every gig just in case.

• Members

Are you using one of the first 12 pre-sets for reverb? Those use alot of cpu power. I'm using #20 for effects1 and #28 for effects2 and my cpu is at about. 40%

No, I'm using preset 50 with only a room reverb added. Still seems to gobble up a lot of precessor. Haven't even tried using the second effects send!

• Members

I think soundman posted awhile back that
there will be a newer version coming soon with all the bugs worked out.
I like the board for the most part just not sure if I trust it. I always have a back-up board on every gig just in case.

You'd think they'd fix the bugs before releasing it. Stuff like that does wonders for consumer-confidence, doesn't it.

• Members

CK, have you cleared the others out??? Even though you are not using say preset 7....it still is running. You have to manually go in and shut them all off.

No, I'm using preset 50 with only a room reverb added. Still seems to gobble up a lot of precessor. Haven't even tried using the second effects send!

• Members

Would you ever gig without a backup even if you had the most reliable board made? I wouldn't...

No that is why I have 4 mixers. I plan on using the The Peavey fx16 at a guest ranch this summer where it will stay. I have a PV10 that will be its back-up. My main mixer for other gigs is a Studiolive 16.4.2 and itds back-up is a Soundcraft lx7ii-24 channel.

• Members

You'd think they'd fix the bugs
before
releasing it. Stuff like that does wonders for consumer-confidence, doesn't it.

I can't think of anything that ever was (analog included). I get a new update for my Macs every few weeks.

• Members
Maybe my products are the exception to the rule, but everything that we ship is fully finished and production ready. No updates (software, firmware, hardware or anywhere
;)
) necessary... ever

Heck that's no fun. The product I'm working on now has been shipping for two months and the spec's aren't even finalized yet :facepalm: .

Archived