What product do you give the most credit to for making your 'musical' life easier...

• Members

Mechanical lift? Is it similar to an air handler lift?

Something like this,, for lifting heavy speakers off the floor, and placing them onto crank-stands,,,,,.and then again, for lifting the speakers off the crank-stands, and lowering them to the floor You can buy "manually operated" or "battery-powered".

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/material-handling/lift-trucks/manual-lift/lightweight-portable-hand-operated-lift-trucks?ref=cat/b/liftWeightTruck

• Members

A son that paid attention and learned set up , tear down, and how to operate the equiptment I own.

+1 !!! I own a couple of sons that have turned into pretty decent roadies. They're not at the point that they're operating anything - but they are a formidable force when it comes to schlepping! They can schlepp and setup my band's rig (i.e., placing everything in more or less the correct spot on stage, running all the power and speaker cabling, placing the snake drop boxes and cabling up all the mics, etc.) The only thing that they don't do is make the connections at the FOH and AMP rack. They're also capable of setting up my keyboard rig - putting everything into place and leaving the task of cable connections to me.

I will say - getting them to willingly put their energies into what they see as MY hobby took a little work. They needed a little help in understanding the big picture. However, once I started withholding most of the "extras" in their life - explaining that it's gig money that makes those "extras" possible ... they finally saw the light. Now that they do - I barely lift a finger when loading/unloading the truck at home - and usually have ample assistance during setups at all my local gigs.

• Members

+1 !!! I own a couple of sons that have turned into pretty decent roadies. They're not at the point that they're
operating
anything - but they are a formidable force when it comes to schlepping! They can schlepp and setup my band's rig (i.e., placing everything in more or less the correct spot on stage, running all the power and speaker cabling, placing the snake drop boxes and cabling up all the mics, etc.) The only thing that they don't do is make the connections at the FOH and AMP rack. They're also capable of setting up my keyboard rig - putting everything into place and leaving the task of cable connections to me.

I will say - getting them to willingly put their energies into what they see as MY hobby took a little work. They needed a little help in understanding the
big
picture. However, once I started withholding most of the "extras" in their life - explaining that it's gig money that makes those "extras" possible ... they
finally
saw the light. Now that they do - I barely lift a finger when loading/unloading the truck at home - and usually have ample assistance during setups at all my local gigs.

HAHa, that's great! A few minutes ago we were giving the dogs a bath with my 2 year old daughter. She wasn't a ton of help, but you can see she has potential ;)

• Members
+1 !!! I own a couple of sons that have turned into pretty decent roadies. They're not at the point that they're
operating
anything - but they are a formidable force when it comes to schlepping! They can schlepp and setup my band's rig (i.e., placing everything in more or less the correct spot on stage, running all the power and speaker cabling, placing the snake drop boxes and cabling up all the mics, etc.) The only thing that they don't do is make the connections at the FOH and AMP rack. They're also capable of setting up my keyboard rig - putting everything into place and leaving the task of cable connections to me.

doing most of the work for him.

I will say - getting them to willingly put their energies into what they see as MY hobby took a little work. They needed a little help in understanding the
big
picture. However, once I started withholding most of the "extras" in their life - explaining that it's gig money that makes those "extras" possible ... they
finally
saw the light. Now that they do - I barely lift a finger when loading/unloading the truck at home - and usually have ample assistance during setups at all my local gigs.

LOL I went thru the same thing, till I started paying him for setup and teardown. He does most of the DJ'ing that I book and I split whatever we get. He's a manager in a National sneaker store and loves that he can make money having fun. Hell he's got his buddies conned into doing most of the work for him.

• Members

operating

big
finally

Nice!!!

Do they know how to over/under?

What's their hourly rate??!

;)

• Members

Going from 63 and 65 lbs main speakers to 32 and 33 lb speakers for the majority of my shows.

I am thankful at every event I do with my own lightweight gear, and I no longer use the heavier speakers for the most part.

I just cannot mount and dismount the heavier speakers on stands anymore.

Scaffolding is still relatively easy to use and stages that are 4-5 ft high are also OK.

• CMS Author

An internet-connected PC. And an aluminum handtruck.

We all take the internet's free info for granted. Only the older among us remember what it was like trying to figure out anything before the advent of forums and e-commerce and Wikipedia.

Nothing moves without strong backs, or wheels.

• Members

My iPhone and iPad. The phone gives me internet where ever I need it and I can tether to the iPad. I can mix from the iPad and also use it for some lighting duties.

Other than that, switching to active speakers was the greatest single change in the load in and load out. Probably sound quality, too. Now that my divorce is final I am looking forward to buying some new gear and it is exciting.

• Members

Powered speakers
;)

I have decreased the weight of my speakers by a factor of 3, the size by a factor of 3, and have eliminated my power amps completely..... Oh, and the sound is better than it has ever been!

Same here! I really don't miss having to carry 2 power amps to every gig (and them taking lots of space on my DJ table) not to mention the cables to connect them to the speakers.

Now, my powered speakers connect to my mixer using the same XLR connections my microphones do, so I always have back up cables AND I can connect them together to achieve required length. Very convenient. :thu:

Al

• Members

So, which half did you get to keep, the subs or the tops? ;-)

I got to keep it all as long as I got it all out of what used to be my house...

It's not that bad. Her sister is married to my guitarist. It should make for some interesting gigs. I'm thinking of dating the drummer's wife's sister - just to make things a little more interesting.

• Members

Product wise, my StudioLive

- allows easy recordings, which makes for nice live demos, which makes for more bookings

- allows me to mix an old show whenever I want, which allows me to practice mixing, something that can't be done easily with an analog setup

- Since run from stage, the full meter bridge is indispensable. I'd pay the price of the board for that feature alone.

- way less gear to hook up

- all controls and visual indicators on the horizontal plane.... VERY important when running from stage as you can't be kneeling down to monitor or adjust things

- iPad control allowing me to do sound checks and periodic checks during the night with the board on the stage and still "do it right" by being at an FOH position

• Members

The SL 16.4.2, just due to the amount of stuff I don't have to carry in my space and weight confined 5th Wheel / Kludged Remote Truck. Next to that, lightweight powered cabs for the exact same reason. After that? The cable plant. I built all my own mic cables and interconnects. I used good stuff (EWI/Neutrik) and since I did all the work, I know it was done correctly and I won't have to worry about cable issues.

2nd runner up: Dave Ratt's bad ass cable tester. Sure there's others out there, but the thing is so uber portable you can just keep it in your back pocket all the time. Being able to use phantom on the desk to ring out the entire cable path from the desk to the mic is pretty spiffy. It's not quite so important now that I bring all my own cable plant, but in an unknown environment, it could just save your ass (and it has mine on several occasions).

• Members

Yes, tell him I said hi, he'll know me....yea thats it, he'll know me....sure he will. That man has made some seriously fine music in his time. Like to be there for that one, Andy. One of my favorite guitarist, and he doesn't need to play 9,000 notes a minute. He can play 12 notes a minute, but they will be the right ones....

Archived