I don't like my DE-7 - what am I missing here?

Danhedonia

• Members

Got an old Ibby DE7 lying around, decided to play with it the other day and thought "well, that sure is a whole bunch of .... uh, nothing much at all."

For comparison, here are other time effects I've used recently and enjoyed:

Boss RE-20

Red Witch Titan

Boss GT-10, which is basically a Boss DD-3 with a LOT more tweakability (e.g., settable LPF and HPF for repeats)

Strymon Blue Sky (no longer have)

Digitech iStomp (laugh if you will, but some of their time-based stuff is terrific)

The Ibanez seems dreadfully vanilla to me. I "get" the desirability of vanilla, but the Boss does that well and offers deeper diving if I want. I haven't used the DE7 with a lot of tube saturation, but I don't really play a lot of high gain anyway.

What am I missing here?

• Members

hmm whats your point? i have a couple of pedals lying around which i currently "don't like" and therefore have off the board

pretty normal, their time will come again, and something else have to make space on the board.

are you missing something in your delay setup? do you want some recommendation from us what else to look?

or did you just want to let us know that you don't like the DE-7?

anyhow, tell us how we can help you? :D

• Members
hmm whats your point? i have a couple of pedals lying around which i currently "don't like" and therefore have off the board

pretty normal, their time will come again, and something else have to make space on the board.

are you missing something in your delay setup? do you want some recommendation from us what else to look?

or did you just want to let us know that you don't like the DE-7?

anyhow, tell us how we can help you? :D

i think the OP has heard people praising the DE7 and he doesn't believe it is warranted.

• Members

i think the OP has heard people praising the DE7 and he doesn't believe it is warranted.

the DE-7 is what it is, a good entry level very versatile delay with a lot of options and also with its limits...

if you want a warm lush analog delay you might be wrong here, if you want a good starting point to get to know how delays work and what they can do, you can't go wrong with it

you get very much delay with a DE-7 for not very much money.

but there are a lot of other pedals out there, which meet my personal taste and my requirements much better

The Ibanez DE7 delay made its bones back when there weren't as many low-cost delay pedal options available as there are today. In its day it represented a good quality delay that could be had for very low wampum. Today there are more low-cost choices available and it's less of a standout than it once was although it's still a very good pedal for what it is.

• Members

I would never post just to say I don't like something. But yeah, I see the hosannas, and wonder "why?" What I was looking for was:

* Some perspective (thanks Phil); and

* Would love to know what people use it for that they like (thanks honk, I'll twiddle with echo more).

As far as "what are you doing with it," I am writing and recording original psychedelic rock. So there are times I just tweak (when trying to write), but others when there is a very specific production need. Please note that I listed other time based FX - I was really wondering does the DE-7 cover something those don't, and I might be missing a potential use????

As an example, the RE-20 can do some seriously cool faux-tape things to vocals if you don't have complicated / expensive rack or vintage studio gear. I was wondering if there was some sort of acknowledged 'sweet spot' or preferred use for the DE-7, either as a generalized statement (e.g., "great on echo setting for postpunk bass") or specific citations of songs I could hear.

Just looking for ideas, because I never presume my own thoroughness.

That Red Witch Titan is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick (say in Deadhead voice).

I would never post just to say I don't like something. But yeah, I see the hosannas, and wonder "why?" What I was looking for was:

* Some perspective (thanks Phil); and

* Would love to know what people use it for that they like (thanks honk, I'll twiddle with echo more).

As far as "what are you doing with it," I am writing and recording original psychedelic rock. So there are times I just tweak (when trying to write), but others when there is a very specific production need. Please note that I listed other time based FX - I was really wondering does the DE-7 cover something those don't, and I might be missing a potential use????

(snip)

That Red Witch Titan is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick (say in Deadhead voice).

Frankly, I'd think a more full-featured delay would be better suited to that than the DE-7... something that provides more features, more sonic variety, and more avenues for effects freak-outs. Modulation. Tap tempo. Really good self-oscillation and "playtheeffectasaninstrumentandnoisemaker" tools. While more expensive than the DE7, the DigiTech Obscura meets most of those criteria, although it has limited modulation capabilities... The Red Witch and other more capable / fully-featured delays would be more what I'd be looking to if I was in your shoes. The DE7 is a good solid basic delay pedal, but IMHO what you want to do would benefit from a delay with more features and options.

• Members

Very grateful for the replies and thoughts. Yeah, "playtheeffectasaninstrument" is one reason I'm so fond of the Titan - with parallel or series, you can explore some extreme textures and insanity. Phil, you may find it amusing that one night after a few sophisticated refreshments, I "entertained" my guests at our out-on-the-dirt-road location with all the repeats dimed in series, through a Hot Rod Deville set around "6" on the volume. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! I woke up the next morning and flipped off of "standby" and nearly shattered every window in the house. "Friends don't let friends use time based effects while drunk."

Honk, that was really nice - you're too good to me. I'll give that a shot next time I'm in there. That piece reminded me of one of my fave players Vini Reilly (of Durutti Column).

Last but not least, I'd never get rid of a delay pedal, simply because (like PR), "all delay is good delay."

Very grateful for the replies and thoughts. Yeah' date=' "playtheeffectasaninstrument" is one reason I'm so fond of the Titan - with parallel or series, you can explore some extreme textures and insanity. Phil, you may find it amusing that one night after a few sophisticated refreshments, I "entertained" my guests at our out-on-the-dirt-road location with all the repeats dimed in series, [i']through a Hot Rod Deville set around "6" on the volume[/i]. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! I woke up the next morning and flipped off of "standby" and nearly shattered every window in the house. "Friends don't let friends use time based effects while drunk."

:lol: Great story! :philthumb:

I was thinking Sophisticated Refreshments or The Refreshments would be a good name for a band... but I did a Google search and there was already a band from Phoenix in the 90s with that name - sounds like they were pretty good too, based on the clip from Conan's show that I just watched.

• Members

lol.gif Great story! phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

I was thinking Sophisticated Refreshments or The Refreshments would be a good name for a band... but I did a Google search and there was already a band from Phoenix in the 90s with that name - sounds like they were pretty good too, based on the clip from Conan's show that I just watched.

they had a hit with "banditos". roger cline, the singer, went solo and has a nice following down south. roger cline and the peacemakers, is his solo project.

cj20I1vHQ4M

Archived