Weigh In- Vox AC15 versus AC30

Chris Loeffler

• Members

Anyone have a good amount of experience with both? I own a Vox AC15 (CC Chinese Version) with a Bluedog speaker (I installed it... it's the UK made version) and can safely say I have "that" Vox tone nailed. What I wish was that it was a bit bigger sounding (not necessarily "louder") and had a bit more depth and clarity to its breakup. It definitely has the "jangle and chime" that people (myself included) love, but... yeah.

So, is the Vox AC30 a good place to look? Are their other amps that would be a better fit? Is it time to change the iron?

Maybe I need to make a trip north and demo a few new amps? :rawk:

Yeah, I think the AC30 would give you a "bigger" sound - louder too, and a lot heavier in weight as well. Having that second 12" speaker will definitely make a difference. The Blue speakers make a big difference as well - at least in terms of jangle and chime.

Normally I'd recommend you try running the amp with some different speakers to see if that helps with the depth and clarity of the breakup sound, but I know you've already done that - at least with 10" speakers. :) Have you tried it with different 12" models besides the Greenback and the Blue? You might find one you like better for dirt... but that may come at the expense of the jangle and chime. :idk:

Have you tried any of the Vox-inspired amps like the Matchless DC30 or the Valvetech Hayseed 30?

• Members

I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the boutique takes on the Vox, as they just aren't around in my area, I never bother checking music stores for them in particular when I go to Portland or SF, and I'm not going to drop that kind of coin over the interwebz without knowing I love it.

I've monkeyed with speakers, but it's the amp that's the limitation, for sure. I'm thinking it's a headroom issue... it just needs to open up a bit more. So the 30 is pretty much a dead-on take of the 15 with more power in the PA section? I'vre wondered if their preamps where identical or not. One thing that has surprised me about the AC15 CC is how great the tremolo is... actually sounded better than my Princeton Reverb.

• Members

I have owned the Vox AC15CC and have played through a few Vox AC30CC's. My honest opinion is they are pretty damn good amps, but IMHO the Vox company only exists as a memory of days gone by. They are not the only only ones. Ampeg ain't what it once was either.

I also own many other amps, and the Vox AC 15 was about as loud Fender Deluxe 65. I say about but it's been a while now cause I sold the Vox AC15.

Part of the charm of the old Vox AC 15 and AC 30 was the Celestion Blue speaker, which when the amp was turned up loud the speaker was on the verge of blowing out. The AC 30 is a very awkward 70 plus pounds of haul, but not as awkward as some Mesa combo amps I have owned.

Every once in a while I feel I own to may amps and do a clean out, only to buy more amps.

After selling some stuff I bought a Dr Z Maz 18 1x12 combo. Mine has the reverb on it and the optional eq bypass, which is a raw dark tone, but cool. I can eq the Dr Z to sound like a Fender Blackface Deluxe.

The reverb is good, but the Maz 18 without reverb has more gain. It doesn't have a tremolo circuit on it, but my trem comes from a Fulltone Supra Trem on my effects board. The Supa Trem is awesome.

They are some many great amps on the market these day, the Vox AC30 is only option. Personally if you can afford it check into some of the Dr Z stuff, The Valvetech Hayseed, a Matchless a Bad Cat and see what ya dig.

I kind of live in the middle of nowhere and make a 40 mile trip to a shop I love over in NY state that carries gear I dig. Over the past decade I have set up a great relationship with the guys at this shop too. I have also done my homework and mail ordered plenty of gear.

I have never owned a head and cab, but as you get older dragging a 70 plus pound amp around gets less fun. Tone weight and the right tool for the job is something to thing about. I play everything from Gibson to Fender, Rickenbacker to Gretsch and love a good old jangley chime as much as anyone.

One way to get the good old Jangle is through an effect called a JungleBox.

There's a lot of great Reverb pedals out there too. It doesn't have to come out the amp. I use a TC electronics Hall of Fame, for amps without reverb and some time I opt to use the pedal on amps with reverb.

Modern reliability.

I tried the Dr Z maz 38 and liked it too, but thought it was too load for my needs.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the boutique takes on the Vox, as they just aren't around in my area, I never bother checking music stores for them in particular when I go to Portland or SF, and I'm not going to drop that kind of coin over the interwebz without knowing I love it.

I've monkeyed with speakers, but it's the amp that's the limitation, for sure. I'm thinking it's a headroom issue... it just needs to open up a bit more. So the 30 is pretty much a dead-on take of the 15 with more power in the PA section? I'vre wondered if their preamps where identical or not. One thing that has surprised me about the AC15 CC is how great the tremolo is... actually sounded better than my Princeton Reverb.

"More open" is a good way to describe it. Definitely more headroom. It's a "bigger" sounding amp all the way around. The basic preamp should be the same - just make sure you get an AC30 with top boost - not all models over the years have included it, and your AC15 has it.

I do agree with you about the trem in the AC15cc - it's actually very good. The reverb OTOH... :freak::(

Archived