Best budget PA system (under $500) for use at art galleries or coffee shops

• Members

The audience is mostly made up of people in the twenties and thirties, a lot of whom are part of the local music scene (and a lot of the local artists make gig posters for rock bands, so there's sort of a built-in audience for this).

I've booked jazz bands for more "middle of the road" types of art shows, but I tend to favor stuff that's a little more "edgy." (For lack of a better word.) And even some of the major art museums in town have started booking noise rock and hip hop group in hopes of bringing in a younger audience... though they obviously have much better sound systems! :)

So I'm not too worried about scaring away the audience. But I do need to find a cheap PA for use at some of the smaller galleries that don't already have their own equipment.

Are Behringer speakers total crap? or are they a bargain? I keep hearing that the Mackie Thump series is unreliable, is that true?

Right now, I'm thinking of getting a either a Behringer Eurolive B212D or a Peavey PR powered speaker (for now), and running it through either a Yamaha MG102c mixer or one of the budget Mackie mixers (e.g., Mackie 802). Then gradually adding more equipment over time.

Does that sound like a good set up to build from?

• Members

I've also owned a pair of PR12D's and they get plenty loud enough to damage hearing. The only reason I don't have them now is that I sold them to a band I mix for as an upgrade to what they had. Most folks here prefer Peavey over Behringer but I don't know which of these sounds better or are more reliable. For a mixer try to get one that has reverb built-in. If you are not going to have monitors and plan on running the mains behind the band I can tell you from experience that even the little B208D's are limited in volume by feedback and not by their power with common microphones like the Shure SM58.

• Members

QUOTE=RoadRanger;45677948]I've also owned a pair of PR12D's and they get plenty loud enough to damage hearing. The only reason I don't have them now is that I sold them to a band I mix for as an upgrade to what they had. Most folks here prefer Peavey over Behringer but I don't know which of these sounds better or are more reliable. For a mixer try to get one that has reverb built-in. If you are not going to have monitors and plan on running the mains behind the band I can tell you from experience that even the little B208D's are limited in volume by feedback and not by their power with common microphones like the Shure SM58.

Boy that band must have had some {censored}ty speakers.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a pair of these that I use for stage monitors, and as a portable system. Seriously great bang for the buck, and made the Behringers and Mackie Thumps sound rather hollow, IMO. Can be had right now with Musician's Friend's sale for around $250 each...

DV016_Jpg_Large_H80275_V.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts112a-12-active-2-way-speaker/h80275000000000

Archived