Gigs sooner than thought; need help with final purchase of cabs

• Members

Hi all,

I've looked through the threads but am feeling overwhelmed and would appreciate some assistance.

After paying for the pressing of our CD, we are tight on money. So we are cutting back in certain areas but still need to get our cabs & amps.

We are an acoustic Americana/Folk some country group with 3 part female harmonies, and will be playing mostly house concerts, and small-med. venues. Quality over loudness factor is important, but we still should have enough power to do the job.

We have an ~$800 budget for the cabs. For amps, I was looking at either a Behringer EP4000 (output ~700w) which I know is not the best, but we had to cut corners somewhere and can upgrade later), or the PeavyIPR3000, both within our amp price range ($370-$450).

I have to get this done by tonight, so any speedy help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, we are three gals so 80# cabs will make us cranky. Thanks!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you considered self-powered speakers? what mixer are you using?

Mixer: A&H Zed 22FX

I have one EV ZXA1 that we thought we might get a 2nd on. However, through my experience, I feel safer using amps as I can always swap out a monitor amp if the main fails (ask me how I know this). The idea of having multiple active components makes me twitch.

• Members

Mixer: A&H Zed 22FX

I have one EV ZXA1 that we thought we might get a 2nd on. However, through my experience, I feel safer using amps as I can always swap out a monitor amp if the main fails (ask me how I know this). The idea of having multiple active components makes me twitch.

I use all active cabs (and have quite a collection) but have never experienced a failure yet, why I ask.

An IPR3000 with a set of these would procvide very good sound quality with plenty of punch and volume :

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVELX115

If you don't need the extended low frequency of a 15, the ELX 112s would be great. Only issue with the Live-X line is the finish on them is a little fragile. Other than that, I've only read good things for the $$$.

Al

• Members

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get powered cabs instead. PRX612M's maybe?

Sweet, but not in the price range I quoted. They are $799 ea. Also, I'm way too spooked to relay on powered mains. If they go during a gig, we're screwed.

• Members

I use all active cabs (and have quite a collection) but have never experienced a failure yet, why I ask.

An IPR3000 with a set of these would procvide very good sound quality with plenty of punch and volume :

I was looking at the EVs. We all switch instruments, and 2 of the gals play acoustic-electric bass - we were going to have a bass amp and also run it through the foh cabs for balance. Am I understanding then, if we want to do that we should definitely go with the 15s? I also play keys on a couple of songs that would go direct to the cabs. (Guitars & mandos will go direct).

If you don't need the extended low frequency of a 15, the ELX 112s would be great. Only issue with the Live-X line is the finish on them is a little fragile. Other than that, I've only read good things for the $$$.

• Members

Sweet, but not in the price range I quoted. They are $799 ea. Also, I'm way too spooked to relay on powered mains. If they go during a gig, we're screwed.

You can get them for less but not if you need them TODAY :( . For a passive cab the minimum decent cabs are Yamaha Club series. Get the 12's and not the 15's if you want female vocals to shine:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-C112V-12--2-Way-Club-Concert-Series-Speaker-103539748-i1152951.gc

• Members

As far as active goes - I have the EV ZXA1 and we thought about buying a 2nd, and then using the amp for our monitors. My thinking was that I hate buying into planned obsolescence. I am also leary of running the bass & keys through 8' speakers.

• Members

Sweet, but not in the price range I quoted. They are $799 ea.

I'll offer to consider any and everything having to do with the product you present to the public to carry at the least equal weight concerning price vs. performance. There are exceptions to the rule, but it's rare... very rare. I suggest taking a unified approach to your business model.

• Members

You can get them for less but not if you need them TODAY
:(
. For a passive cab the minimum decent cabs are Yamaha Club series. Get the 12's and not the 15's if you want female vocals to shine:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-C112V-12--2-Way-Club-Concert-Series-Speaker-103539748-i1152951.gc

Intersting - about 12's not 15's - what about though running the bass & keys direct into 12's?

• Members

I'll offer to consider any and everything having to do with the product you present to the public to carry at the least equal weight concerning price vs. performance. There are exceptions to the rule, but it's rare... very rare. I suggest taking a unified approach to your business model.

Understood. However our first gig is in 3 weeks and we have a a finite amount of funds to work with~

• Members
Intersting - about 12's not 15's - what about though running the bass & keys direct into 12's?

Get a bigger bass amp if needed. Bass players generally don't like the keys to be bassy and walking all over what they are playing. In this price range you're not going to get a cab that both goes below 80Hz and doesn't sound like arse on female vocals.

• Members

Get a bigger bass amp if needed. Bass players generally don't like the keys to be bassy and walking all over what they are playing. In this price range you're not going to get a cab that both goes below 80Hz and doesn't sound like arse on female vocals.

Good point - thanks for mentioning that.

• Members

Understood. However our first gig is in 3 weeks and we have a a finite amount of funds to work with~

I understand.

I suggest to use (some portion) of your finite available funds to purchase the services necessary to deliver the intended product... being: solicite the services of a pro for the production work.

Buy (do it in-house) after it's "in the budget", both monitarily and expertise wise.

• Members

So I'm reading that you have a $1250 max budget for tops & an amp. Right now you can buy a new pair of EV SXA250s for that, and I don't think you will find anything more suitable for your purpose at the price. They ARE powered. So if one dies, you still have another speaker playing.

Don't even think about using the ZXA1 for mains, it won't handle it. I wouldn't use it full range for a monitor either, best to highpass it. They sound great, but will bottom out easily with any bass content.

• Members

I have a pair of Peavey Impulse 1012's that I like but they are $470 new each - they can take twice the power of the Yamaha Club or EV112's which I personally wouldn't power with more than an IPR1600...

I agree the Impulse cabs sound very good. A little on the pricey side, but they do have good quality components = Black Widow woofers with 4'' voice coil - hence the higher power handling. Very efficient too. Pleasant and hi-fi sounding although my experience is with the 15'' version but I imagine they sound fairly similar.

Al

Archived