Loud drummer...small room....suggestions

• Members

I have had a drummer that had a small snare that sounded like a rifle shot every time they hit it. The cymbals were so loud that the microphones were into the yellow on the uv meters when no one was singing. At the end of every practice and gig, there was a mound of wood chips from the sticks!

I tried recording our practice with a good PMD620 recorder to show him how loud the cymbals and snare was. He didn't believe it really sounded like that.

I had to replace the drummer..... with a drummer that has vDrums ;)

I have never been happier with the live sound as I am now.

... and incidentally, I have heard cymbals and snare overwhelm a room 70x110 ft with over 200 people in it without being miced.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The cymbals were so loud that the microphones were into the yellow on the uv meters when no one was singing.

Didn't ya know? :poke: The general consensus around here is that cymbal mics were a waste of time, money, mics and channels and that you should let your open vocal mics capture your cymbals. :facepalm:

• Members

Good drummers know how to play to the room, song and audience. They have an arsenal of cymbals they can choose from and the ability to use different diameter sticks when called for. Find yourself a seasoned drummer and you will not have to deal with these issues. I am not a flashy or super-star technical drummer by any means, but I get calls all the time because I play for the music and understand things like stage volume, dynamics and most importantly the needs of the person running FOH.

+2 - He's a piece of work if he doesn't realise the gig is about entertaining people and not driving them away.

• Members

I feel your pain.

If I ever audition drummers again and one of them shows up without any drums, that's the one I'll hire.

I have played with several great drummers, one of whom at least is fully capable of playing quietly. And yet, I just heard him in a pretty big room -- playing too loud. I did a recording - a Zoom H2 placed as far from the drums as I could get it, and the drums were still way too loud. He later said that he was using his lightest sticks -- sticks that won't even bounce right -- and he was still too loud.

I play more often will lesser players, who seem to believe that the audience is there to hear drumming and that the other players can't live without loud bashing most of the time.

I have no answer. Trying to reason with them just pisses them off.

• Members

Exactly - I could make that kit sound just as loud as a regular sized kit with very little effort - a smaller snare doesn't mean it has less volume - the same for the kick and toms.

My brother's drummer plays a 4-piece kit (12" & 14" toms, an 18" kick and a 3"x13" brass snare), uses 5A sticks, and he is every bit as loud as anybody else with standard sized drums.

Yeah, you COULD, but you would have to try. I'm no drummer, I play guitar, but I'm in the unusual position of having gotten setup and tuning tips from the likes of Manu Katche, Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, and David Garabaldi one on one. A small round box tends to be quieter than a large round box.

• Members

I feel your pain.

If I ever audition drummers again and one of them shows up without any drums, that's the one I'll hire.

I have played with several great drummers, one of whom at least is fully capable of playing quietly. And yet, I just heard him in a pretty big room -- playing too loud. I did a recording - a Zoom H2 placed as far from the drums as I could get it, and the drums were still way too loud. He later said that he was using his lightest sticks -- sticks that won't even bounce right -- and he was still too loud.

I play more often will lesser players, who seem to believe that the audience is there to hear drumming and that the other players can't live without loud bashing most of the time.

I have no answer. Trying to reason with them just pisses them off.

Yeah and your guitar amp is blaring at our ears at the same height as our head yet all the sound hits you in the knees....oh yeah then of course midnight hits, up goes the ole guitar amp another 2 notches. I'm sick of the drummer bashing as I've only known a couple guitar players over a 20 year history that kept their amps under control through a full night. 2 cents, may the discussion continue! :);)

• Members

I'm sick of the drummer bashing...

Wasn't that the whole point of the discussion? Drummers that bash? Oh, I get it now. ;-)

In short, any good musician, on any instrument, ought to be able to come in with the correct tool for the job, and know how to use it in any situation required. Seems to me that is what they expect of the sound man/sound woman/sound dog. If you want the mix right out front, loudest instrument on stage will set the volume for the entire show. If the band knows that, they will make sure the loudest thing on stage is at, or under, the appropriate level. I can always add instrument volume, but taking it away is not an option. Why is that so tough for some folks to get?

• CMS Author

Yeah and your guitar amp is blaring at our ears at the same height as our head yet all the sound hits you in the knees....oh yeah then of course midnight hits, up goes the ole guitar amp another 2 notches. I'm sick of the drummer bashing as I've only known a couple guitar players over a 20 year history that kept their amps under control through a full night. 2 cents, may the discussion continue!
:);)

And I'm a bassist, but I can point to dozens of other bassists who think the only rig is an Ampeg fridge on '11'. There is no shortage of guys who don't get it. It has nothing to do with the particular instrument being played.

• Members

And I'm a bassist, but I can point to dozens of other bassists who think the only rig is an Ampeg fridge on '11'. There is no shortage of guys who don't get it. It has nothing to do with the particular instrument being played.

True dat! I sang in choirs when I was in HS and college and nothing was worse than some dummy who thought they were Pavarotti or Beverly Sills pouring it on and not blending with the rest of the choir. I thought they were jerk-offs then and haven't changed that opinion since. Your drummer is a jerk-off.

It's supposed to be about the music and if the music suffers because of some jerk-off's ego, get rid of him.

Nothing sounds better than a group of musicians in ANY genre that "get it" and all work together to produce a single sound. I don't care if it's a symphony, opera, chamber orchestra, choirs, C&W, Folk, soft rock, jazz, hard rock, whatever. The balancing off of each other is what makes it.

• Members

Oh I get it, been there done that, but keep in mind we are acoustic, we like to hear our instruments as much as guitar player. Often found my self playing harder to even hear over the guitar, just trying to examine both sides of the pancake!

• Members

Yeah, you COULD, but you would have to try. I'm no drummer, I play guitar, but I'm in the unusual position of having gotten setup and tuning tips from the likes of Manu Katche, Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, and David Garabaldi one on one. A small round box tends to be quieter than a large round box.

Well, I AM a drummer, and have been playing gigs for nearing 30 years at this point, have tech'ed clinics for the likes of Weckl, Erskine and Garibaldi (INCREDIBLY nice to me to the point of writing a thank you note to my boss for my service), and many others etc., and I can say categorically that a small round box tends to be the EXACT SAME VOLUME as a large round box, which is to say no volume at all.

However, when hitting said round boxes with sticks and applying increasing pressure (i.e., hitting harder) a smaller drum WILL get louder sooner/faster than a bigger drum, because there's far less air to move for the smaller drum.

• Members

Well, I AM a drummer, and have been playing gigs for nearing 30 years at this point, have tech'ed clinics for the likes of Weckl, Erskine and Garibaldi (INCREDIBLY nice to me to the point of writing a thank you note to my boss for my service), and many others etc., and I can say categorically that a small round box tends to be the EXACT SAME VOLUME as a large round box, which is to say no volume at all.

However, when
hitting
said round boxes with sticks and applying increasing pressure (i.e., hitting harder) a smaller drum WILL get louder sooner/faster than a bigger drum, because there's far less air to move for the smaller drum.

Amen brother.

IMG_0308.jpg

• Members

... and incidentally, I have heard cymbals and snare overwhelm a room 70x110 ft with over 200 people in it without being miced.

Normally, this happens when a drummer has their cymbals up above their heads. If the cymbals are mounted around ear height, and the tendency is to not lay into them as hard because they are louder to the drummer.

• Members

Normally, this happens when a drummer has their cymbals up above their heads. If the cymbals are mounted around ear height, and the tendency is to not lay into them as hard because they are louder to the drummer.

They were also HUGE cymbals .... and yes, they were high come to think of it. The snare however, was low ;)

I think the gorilla hits were the culprit on the snare. Plus, some drummers don't get it that not EVERY snare hit needs to be a rim shot.

Archived