NPD with review

wankdeplank

• Members

(Wanted to say dirt cheap new pedal day, but cheap has negative connotations beyond price that do not fit this pedal. Maybe cheap dirt pedal sounds better.)

OK so some time ago there was a thread about good OD pedals (originally about Buck's TS-9). This prompted me to consult youtube trying to find a good comparison video, which I did:

Impressed with the lead tone of #9 (Joyo Sweet Baby) an inexpensive pedal among much pricier ones. This led to another comparison video between the Joyo and the Mad Professor Sweet Honey that inspired it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mEP_R_GQc

Which led to this video comparing it to a much pricier Klon OD:

Having never owned a Joyo, I had some reservations but the overwhelming positive responses from owners won me over (as well as the price). Got it for $28.64 on Amazon and was able to throw in a couple packs of my favorite strings (DR Pure Blues - $5.95) and get the free shipping.

Have had it for a couple of days now. Threw it on the board with my Delta Lab Tube OD (TS-9 inspired) and my Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (TS-808 inspired) and I think it's a perfect fit and will continue to keep all three on the board. Of the three, the Joyo is the only one that plays nice (stacked) with my BBE Free Fuzz pedal - the other two are too noisy stacked with it on any setting. Together the Sweet Baby and Free Fuzz sound totally epic classic chug rock heaven, even grungy. Alone (not stacked) this would be my first choice for touch sensitive bluesy solos. I'll use the Delta Lab TO for dirtier OD on the verge of distortion sounds and the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for the touch sensitive chord/melody things.

Running into lots of testimonials of this pedal replacing pricier ones for players (replaced one guy's wampler). Not only does it play good but it seems very well built and durable. So how in the world do they do it at this price point? Well for one thing, they didn't waste a lot of money on an owner's manual. It's a one page piece of light paper. Nor did they waste money on a copy writer as the "brochure" is written in laughably broken English. But the pedal rocks and I know how to twist a couple of knobs. Check it out, Joyo's a winner IMO.

• Members

Thanks a lot man. You had to post this and of course I had to look. Naturally there was one pedal that really grabbed me so now I find myself wanting a Wampler Euphoria (it was called ectasy on the demo ,same pedal)

• Members
Thanks a lot man. You had to post this and of course I had to look. Naturally there was one pedal that really grabbed me so now I find myself wanting a Wampler Euphoria (it was called ectasy on the demo ,same pedal)

I know it's a slippery slope right? So many pedals out there and so little time. I thought it was funny that he kept comparing everything to the Fulltone Plimsoul, a pedal that wasn't even on his list.:D

Archived