These will make your system sound better than ever!

• Members

Audiophiles are the biggest idiots going.

:facepalm:

Some of them are, and some of them are as knowledgeable in home stereo and home theater as the people in this forum are with pro sound gear. Obviously anyone who buys stuff like this in the hopes that it will make their gear sound better is one that falls quite neatly into the category you delineated, I'll definitely give ya that! :lol:

• Members

Some of them are, and some of them are as knowledgeable in home stereo and home theater as the people in this forum are with pro sound gear. Obviously anyone who buys stuff like this in the hopes that it will make their gear sound better is one that falls quite neatly into the category you delineated, I'll definitely give ya that!
:lol:

True. I mean in terms of falling for snake oil. Sell a power cord for $10,000 and I'm sure some audiophile will buy it.

I'm guessing it's more for bragging rights than anything...

• Members

True. I mean in terms of falling for snake oil. Sell a power cord for $10,000 and I'm sure some audiophile will buy it.

I'm guessing it's more for bragging rights than anything...

Most of the people I know or know of who would buy something like that have so much money that, to them, ten grand is like you or I spending an extra five dollars on a slightly better cable that, in reality, will probably yield very little actual difference in sound quality. I think that when you have so much disposable income that you buy cars that approach or exceed seven figures in sticker price that you re conditioned to look at sums of money in the tens of thousands as irrelevant and, yes, bragging rights are more than worth "chump change" when you regard money that you and I would consider to be a lot as chump change.

I have been known, while I used to make a lot of money, to spend five grand on a gaming laptop that had all the bells and whistles and was state of the art, and I mean the BEST OF THE BEST video card, motherboard, CPU, screen, and RAM. And seriously, I think it was a GREAT deal. I mean I got to have bragging rights for having the best machine money could buy for at least thirty full seconds after I opened the box. :lol:

Seriously, it's stupid in one way, but if you can afford it (and I could back then) then you simply look at money in an entirely different way.

• Members

Some of them are, and some of them are as knowledgeable in home stereo and home theater as the people in this forum are with pro sound gear. Obviously anyone who buys stuff like this in the hopes that it will make their gear sound better is one that falls quite neatly into the category you delineated, I'll definitely give ya that!

The vast majority are not. I designed some products for that industry segment right out of university and I attended a double-blind listening test where the data clearly showed no correolation but they drew all kinds of fanciful and illegimate conclusions and nobody said the emperor had no clothes because they didn't want to be kicked out of the club. Made me sick to see folks screwing each other with their own ignorance.

• Members

The power cable will make ZERO difference towards "improving" sound quality regardless of claims. It's freekin' impossible and if you understand how power distribution works, it's just plainly obvious.

iwanttobelievea.jpg

• Members

Man, this reminds me of car audio back in the early 90's. There was a company offering tube amps for car audio installs. Slick looking heavy & expensive amps but I just couldn't get over the thought of a good pothole jolting a tube enuff to knock it out.

• Members

The power cable will make ZERO difference towards "improving" sound quality regardless of claims. It's freekin' impossible and if you understand how power distribution works, it's just plainly obvious.

I wasn't saying it did. What I was saying that to pay an extra $5.00 is not a big deal to most people. It is barely a Happy Meal.

• Members

You must read the amazing reviews of some of these audiophile pieces.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/product-reviews/B000I1X6PM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

THis one has to be one of the cleverest and funniest Amazon reviwes ever written:

This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)

OMG OMG OMG - those are the only three letters on my keyboard I will ever need to use in my life from now on: I have seen the future, and that future is DENON AKDL1!

I received three of these cables in the mail without warning - I came home and they were just sitting on my front step. I never ordered these cables, so I wasn't sure what was going on. I brought them in the house and set them aside while I checked my Amazon account. Surely enough, it had seemed that someone purchased these cables four days prior, using my account. At first I thought it might be fraud, but if so, why were the cables shipped to my house and not somewhere else? So the only other explanation that made sense to me was that maybe Amazon got my account mixed up with some other purchase.

I was in the middle of sending an email to Amazon about this mix-up, when my laptop network cable went dead! I pulled an AKDL1 out of the package and hooked it up between my laptop and router. ALL I CAN SAY IS OMG. I didn't follow the directional markings on the cable. After all, ethernet cable is bidirectional, no? I didn't think it mattered which end I plugged into the laptop. I WAS SO VERY WRONG.

To make a long story short, it appears that IF YOU HOOK UP THESE CABLES BACKWARDS, THEY WILL SEND AND RECEIVE ETHERNET PACKETS INTO THE PAST. That's right! When the cable were hooked up backwards, every website I visited served content from four days in the past. Few examples: Windows Update tried to install old patches my system already had; visiting the WWW clock website showed the date from four days prior; my Amazon.com account didn't show the cable purchase I just mentioned above; all articles from digg and reddit were four days old; no email that I sent or received within the past four days was being displayed by my email host.

When I switched the cable to be connected properly, I started seeing current website content again. What the heck was going on? The only thing I can figure is that maybe the Denon cables pass electrons at faster than the speed of light, effectively causing them to travel backwards in time.

To see if this was really the case, I switched the cables back again so that they would serve content from the past, and I logged into Amazon and purchased three of these cables. When I received a tracking number from Amazon, I compared it to the tracking number on the package I received, and they were identical! So it turns out that I had been the one who originally sent myself the cables, only I hadn't known it because some weird sort of causality loop caused a time irregularity to spontaneously form. I wonder if this causality loop was somehow caused by someone else who had also hooked up the AKDL1 improperly.

Anyways, I love these cables and plan to see what weird effects I can accomplish with three of them hooked up in random configurations. I'm going to try to download some diagrams of a flux capacitor to see if I can make something like that with these cables. I also am going to do a Google search to see if I can submit winning lottery numbers to online lottery sites four days in the past. If so, I should quickly be able to win up enough money to buy a few more of these cables. I'll report back on my progress by sending an email back to myself, telling me to edit this comment with the results.

[uPDATE: These cables do all that I hoped they would, and more. In fact, you better buy them while you can - I have enough money now to buy Denon and discontinue their production facilities. This cable is too powerful to be allowed to fall into the wrong hands.]

My overal opinion - if you have the choice between life-saving surgery or buying one of these cables, buy the cable! You'll be able to send yourself an email into the past to warn yourself about anything that's coming up. Also, you could probably send emails into the past whenever you get into arguments or whatnot with your significant other. That alone is well worth the exorbitant price!

[uPDATE: My apologies to Denon for calling their prices exorbitant. It seems that they too experienced time causality problems with these cables; they updated their website pricing from far in the future, when $500 is worth more like $25 of your present day currency, due to inflation. And as you can guess, my attempts to buy Denon were unsuccessful. They have more of these cables than I do, and were effectively able to out-strategize me.]

Made my day!

Louis

Archived