Looking for power consumption ratings.

• Members

Got a gig coming up and I need to see what my power consumption will be so I can plan how best to connect.

I'll be running 4 ELXp 118, 2 ELX 112p, 2 MSR 400's for monitors. Only other draw will be a Peavey 115 TNT bass amp, Studiolive board and a couple of LED's.

I have tripped a breaker with the above setup minus 2 subs which once reset held through the night but I've added two subs and I will have to split my incoming power. So I'd like to know how much the speakers are using.

Looked on EV's site but nothing was there I could find.

• Members

For a quick and dirty calculation of the max draw of a device, look at the size of the fuse. It is my general understanding that most amplifiers used for live sound typically have about a 25% duty cycle. Heavily compressed pre-recorded music may exceed that rule of thumb. Mark C.

• Members

That works. I'm sure that EV's watts in this case are Chinese watts, but it gives me a good base to work off of.

Thanx Man!

Stop.

That has nothing at all to do with what you are asking. It's useless.

Good rule of thumb for class D/SMPS amps is 30% net AC draw (for this kind of biamped product) run where the amps are just hitting limit. So add up all audio power, multiply by .30 and that's the approximate input power in VA, now take that and divide by 120 and that's how many amps you will need in your AC supply (at 120V).

If it's older school class AB/G/H with line freq. transformer power supply, the multiplier would be closer to .45

• Members

Stop.

That has nothing at all to do with what you are asking. It's useless.

Good rule of thumb for class D/SMPS amps is 30% net AC draw (for this kind of biamped product) run where the amps are just hitting limit. So add up all audio power, multiply by .30 and that's the approximate input power in VA, now take that and divide by 120 and that's how many amps you will need in your AC supply (at 120V).

If it's older school class AB/G/H with line freq. transformer power supply, the multiplier would be closer to .45

Got ya, it's too bad they just don't have it posted some where like others.

Thanx ,good info as usual from everybody.

• Members

Aged just so I understand correctly.

2400watts x .30 divided by 120 Will tell me how much I'm pulling on a circuit.

For an SMPS/class D amp, yes. In this case it will be about 6 amps which should be just about on the mark.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well did the gig I was concerned about power on. Everything went very well. Only hiccup was when drummer kicked a floor mounted plug and cord came out of it.

Used two circuits in the old place. Had a little hum because I believe the breaker box was ungrounded/not bonded,so I'm sure it was the cause of the noise we had.

Old old building in Arco Idaho. Still only two wire outlets. I always worry about getting my lips blown off when we play old buildings like that,has happened before.

• Members

I have tripped a breaker with the above setup minus 2 subs which once reset held through the night but I've added two subs and I will have to split my incoming power.

Was that a 15A or 20A breaker, and how wore-out was that breaker?

I had a somewhat wore-out 20A breaker in one of my warehouses that wouldn't consistantly hold on 1200 watts of lights (a little more than 10A draw)... that breaker would trip approx. every third time the light switch for that bank of lights was flipped on... but that breaker would hold for as long as a person cared to leave those lights burn once that breaker was reset.

Point is: Just because your system previously tripped a breaker... some breaker, somewhere, might mean almost nothing. Also, figuring your current draw of the system and then checking out the available breakers in the venue as far as how many and how many amps those breakers are... well... that might also prove to be pointless... to a point, being: figure out if there is another available circuit or two at the venue, and bring along enough good 12ga. extension cords to reach to outlets on those other circuits if need be.

• Members

when i had my shop in the old strip mall i had a 70A main breaker for my area that would randomly trip for absolutely no reason leaving me in the absolute pitch black (no windows) even at high noon.

i learned to carry a flashlight real quick. the scary part was i was using an old marantz amp for shop tunes and this thing will still pass audio for a good 20 seconds after cutting power (power supply buildup? no idea how that works) so i would be in the pitch black with loud shop tunes and thats actually kind of scary losing two senses at the same time (in the quiet you can find doors/obstacles with your ears).

• Members

Well did the gig I was concerned about power on. Everything went very well. Only hiccup was when drummer kicked a floor mounted plug and cord came out of it.

Used two circuits in the old place. Had a little hum because I believe the breaker box was ungrounded/not bonded,so I'm sure it was the cause of the noise we had.

Old old building in Arco Idaho. Still only two wire outlets. I always worry about getting my lips blown off when we play old buildings like that,has happened before.

Glad it went well with no power problems.:thu:

• Members

...the scary part was i was using an old marantz amp for shop tunes and this thing will still pass audio for a good 20 seconds after cutting power (power supply buildup? no idea how that works)...

Large amounts of vitamin C :)

There must be a lot of large caps inside that puppy.

Archived