Favorite recorded examples of phase shifters

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to post vids because we're all sick of hearing these songs, but:

"Who's That Lady?" by the Isley Brothers (fuzz and phaser); "Money" by the Ohio Players, phaser and reverb on the bass guitar; and another worn-out classic with phaser on bass, Nugent's 'Stranglehold'.

• Members

No clue how I forgot about this one... one of the most revolutionary recordings of at least my generation. Pre-dates just about everything electronic ever since... New Wave, Cocteau Twins, Techno, Trance....

[video=youtube;B2qI6UDD2uQ]

I always loved the phaser on the synth pads in this song. They also foreshadowed the stuff that the New Romantics would capitalize on another 5 years later.

[video=youtube;xZKuzwPOefs]

No clue how I forgot about this one... one of the most revolutionary recordings of at least my generation. Pre-dates just about everything electronic ever since... New Wave, Cocteau Twins, Techno, Trance....

[video=youtube;B2qI6UDD2uQ]

I pretty much hated disco at the time, but in retrospect, that was actually a pretty groundbreaking / influential record.

• Members

[video=youtube;Za3G8aLSF0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za3G8aLSF0c

see post #50

Ween: "What Deaner Was Talkin` About"

[video=youtube;iDkt-K3vjMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDkt-K3vjMM

(not sure if it`s - postproduction - flanging?)

David Stewart: "Heart Of Stone" (with BOOTSY !)

[video=youtube;sBaKMpxw5_c]

(an hommage to Ernie Isley, see posts #11, #50, & #51...)

• Members
I'm not going to post vids because we're all sick of hearing these songs, but:

"Who's That Lady?" by the Isley Brothers (fuzz and phaser); "Money" by the Ohio Players, phaser and reverb on the bass guitar; and another worn-out classic with phaser on bass, Nugent's 'Stranglehold'.

I got some serious luv for that AP-7 on those Isley tunes.

Bitd, I think that was the only Jet-Phase noise that could be had in one box.

• Members

How I love this song!

[video=youtube;GfUoSZnajkY]

One of RIDE's masterpieces. Though I'm not certain that the intro guitar is phaser. More likely to be a leslie cabinet.

[video=youtube;UgSa7BPpjFg]

Not exactly one of my fav Spacemen 3 'songs', but I've always loved the combo of the Vox Starstream's fuzz and repeater effect, and a Morley Tel-Ray Phase Shifter.

[video=youtube;e_WuHri_DFk]

• Members

A band that got mad praise, then maligned just as much... but there is some nice subtle phase on both the vocal and guitar.

[video=youtube;sWMc7b3dvVU]

btw, there is some great interplay between the distortion, low-fi filtering and the phaser going on their.

There's some traveling/comb-filter-like effects that add a gentle ripping to the phase as the filter peaks sum/subtract. I've read he used a rotovibe, which (like a univibe, is a phaser w/a very specific, asymmetric LFO shape) and a leslie cab... I guess it's the summation of those two (and the leslie's glorious distortion...what a gnarly amp-section and horn) that give some of the rash and burn.

• Members

Fender's tastes mirror my own remarkably, to which I simply add this good natured scold: you saying the Spacemen didn't write songs?!??! Come now. (FYI, hung out with Will Carruthers last weekend at Levitation .... he's written a phenomenal new book and has a great new band ... I digress).

Here's a lost gem some here may not be sick of, because they likely never heard it. From the Spacemen fambly:

[video=youtube;E2UOplqVNDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2UOplqVNDg

The phase is part of the hook (neato!) - paydirt begins around 0:40.

Archived