A lesson from Mark Knopfler

gardo

• Members

Yeah, I think that part of his "signature tone" led to his mutual fan club and collaboration with folks like Chet Atkins. Folks like Chet or Les Paul had long been chasing great clean tones, so I think they sprung a mutual kinship with Mark came along with his rock version of wonderful clean tones. But as Bucksstudent mentions below, Mark is a disciple of Hank Marvin. Hank is a great guy to listen to not only for his guitar tone, but also for his beautiful use of a strat tremolo.

• Moderators
I have always thought of Mark as an English Bob Dylan that could play and sing a heck of a lot better.

Interesting perspective.

I'm going to see him in a few months, and I've been going over the catalogue.

In his singing, he uses quite a bit of Estuarine influences, yet he's from the North East, and nowhere near London, yet seems quite comfortable wid da Sarf Lahndan fing.

Also songs like Les Boys, where the vocal almost turns into a drawling speaking voice on some occasions, venue dependant.

[video=youtube;P7fzeBO6Zoo]

I like the way he goes with a mood and sings how he feels it should sound on the night, heard him on occasion start singing and not recognise a song that I know so well, he really is quite a unique talent........as is Mr D.

Tommy Tiernan and Irish comedian sums Bob up quite well:

Watch the whole video giggles and context, but if you have a short attention span go to 4:50

[video=youtube;EUo93Hw7LSw]

• Members
I never realized that Mark is left handed.' date='meaning he chords with his dominant hand..[/quote']

If you use the neck on the left you're a right handed player. If you use it on the right, you're a left handed player. That's kind of bass ackwards you'd think, but its actually the hand that holds the pick and produces the rhythm we call right or left handed.

I actually wish they made keyboards backwards with the low notes on the right. It would be more like finger picking playing the bass parts and the left hand doing the highest notes with the lat finger would be like reaching for a high note on a guitar. Face down of course.

• Members
Richard Thompson sounds like some sort of cornball. I couldn't listen to much of the song.. just sort of skipped through it

Why am I not surprised?

I have always thought of Mark as an English Bob Dylan that could play and sing a heck of a lot better.

"I won't call Richard Thompson the English Bob Dylan because then I might as well call Bob Dylan the American Richard Thompson" - Martin Carthy

Again, RT is a pretty big influence on Mark. People were accusing Richard Thompson of ripping off Mark in the eighties...

• Members

Speaking of his music, this bit has long been my favorite. He used to perform it at the end of his Alchemy Tour shows. Written for the movie (which is quite good as well) "Local Hero".

This particular clip is a bit weird in that it is silent for about 25 seconds - so don't adjust your sound - and then the theme itself doesn't really kick in until ~ 2:00. But it's a sweet sounding guitar piece and I always like hearing/seeing this particular performance, circa 1984

[video=youtube;6uSGvy6nKDw]

Hope you like it too, as do I.

Archived