Different kind of off-topic rant -

Idunno

• Members

I had a conversation with a guitar player not long ago who insisted that there was no good reason to learn to read music. I attempted to explain why this was a fallacy, perpetuated by people who felt that reading music and studying theory was not only unnecessary, but that the study of it could even remove their inspiration, and subsequently, bore them to tears. I also tried to explain why being able to read music could connect us with symphonies, operas, opuses; great musics in history, that even to this day can connect us in ways that nothing else can approach. He insisted that jam sessions were "it"; playing by ear was all anyone could need, and anything else was a worthless endeavor if you wanted to be enthusiastic and discover how to play well with others.

The video above is an example of exactly why I beg to differ, and am proud to be a part of a musical community that keeps the past alive, and teaches us the true meaning of the spirit of people. The long ago can be completely relevant for the present. This is a glimpse into the valid reasons why learning to read music and study theory persist to this day, otherwise, it would be lost, and we all would be less as a result.

... JT

• Members
I had a conversation with a guitar player not long ago who insisted that there was no good reason to learn to read music. I attempted to explain why this was a fallacy, perpetuated by people who felt that reading music and studying theory was not only unnecessary, but that the study of it could even remove their inspiration, and subsequently, bore them to tears. I also tried to explain why being able to read music could connect us with symphonies, operas, opuses; great musics in history, that even to this day can connect us in ways that nothing else can approach. He insisted that jam sessions were "it"; playing by ear was all anyone could need, and anything else was a worthless endeavor if you wanted to be enthusiastic and discover how to play well with others.

The video above is an example of exactly why I beg to differ, and am proud to be a part of a musical community that keeps the past alive, and teaches us the true meaning of the spirit of people. The long ago can be completely relevant for the present. This is a glimpse into the valid reasons why learning to read music and study theory persist to this day, otherwise, it would be lost, and we all would be less as a result.

... JT

No doubt. You know, I think people can say things from time to time that even they don't really believe. We dismiss those times because we know we've all said such things before and remain hopeful not to repeat such clumsy stumbles.

The technical side of anything artful tends to make a chore of itself in the presence of the romance and ethereal joy of our musical experience and self expression. An argument put up to remove that chore is the knee-jerk that shouldn't be taken to heart. People say stuff.

• Members

Hmmm. How so? I have an idea: have you ever been to twitch.tv?

It's a website much like youtube, but instead of recording, rendering and uploaded videos you use your video camera and microphone to broadcast in realtime. People subscribe to your page and there's a window where they can comment in realtime. Probably the biggest application it's used for is videogaming - and it's mostly done by people younger than me - but as long as copyrights are honored it can actually be profitable. The term - and forgive me if younger members here are already aware of this - is called "streaming." The downside is that the site's servers can get hacked from time to time and you risk your computer being left open to hackers.

I have seen people co-op on their video game sessions, and there is window in window capability but I've never seen it done for events IRL. I'm sure somebody has though.

Archived