Goodbye Edgar Froese

Chordite

• Members

Argh, that's sad for me to hear. I've been a long time fan of their music since the early 80s. I got hooked on their music after watching the 1981 movie "Thief". Beach Theme is one of my favorite tunes of theirs. Logos Live and The Dream Mixes have been my 2 favorite albums. I endured being a fan of theirs despite both my wives, most relatives and friends not getting what I liked about their ethereal sounds and compositions. Lot of folks just shut down when they hear electronic instruments. Same holds true with Jean Michel Jarre's stuff as well, but for me he's like "Tangerine Dream Light"

This also reminds me that I had a chance to see them live back in the late 80s in Vancouver B.C. But once again, I was the only one interested in the music, so we never made the trip north. Missed opportunities. smiley-sad

Well, I certainly appreciated his work.

And for those who aren't as familiar, you actually are if you ever watched "Risky Business".

• Members
Very minimal new version of Love on a Real Train

Enjoy the ride

This is the version I used to watch when I needed my Love On A Real Train fix. And if I'm not mistaken, this video comes from a Tangerine Dream released video. I have an old VHS concert tape of theirs that's a mix of some live stage footage along with some "artsy fartsy" images, such as this one.

[video=youtube;rlTT2mPA5BA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlTT2mPA5BA

• Members

As a third grader around 1983, I asked my dad to make me a tape of the record he was listening to at the time. I still have that copy of Cyclone and every time I listen to it, it brings me back to my early youth. That album, King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King and Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake kind of defined my childhood, if you could believe that.

I like other Tangerine Dream works, but Cyclone is the nearest and dearest to my heart.

• Members

I was always into anything trippy and expansive and was never exclusionary of electronic music. Into Eno, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, you name it. As far as Tangerine Dream goes, I was less a fan of their more commercial efforts. I always liked this one and still have it in the collection:

[video=youtube;DuN12dVmsT0]

Thx for the natural mind expansion Edgar and RIP on the other side of the aether..

• Members

I became a fan of Tangerine Dream in 1973 after running across their double album "Zeit." Soon, I had "Alpha Centauri" and "Atem." Then, "Phaedra" was released a few months later.

I'm guessing that many first encountered Tangerine Dream many years later in the '80s or '90s via one of their many soundtrack albums. I really prefer their earlier spacey albums from the 1970s.

Edgar also had some superb solo albums. The album "Ypsilon In Malaysian Pale" is possibly the best Mellotron album ever made. Edgar also played guitar often along with synthesizer and Mellotron.

As far as Edgar's guitars go, throughout the 1970s, Edgar played his familiar white 3-pickup Les Paul Custom on all of the TD and his solo albums. I wasn't aware until now, but, apparently back in the '70s, he also had a Tele, a Hamer, and an electric 12-string Ovation Deacon! In the 80s, he began playing around with a Kramer and then a Steinberger for a while. Later, there was apparently a PRS added to the arsenal.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2nBfKYQOB2S8b-lxri3BoIZCGheukOMrQErp5-Z-Wh0G_DVlyl.jpg

076.jpg

froese-edgar-ger.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVaMS24MFVSanPUcaCTftDd0nEMrFOLUPWVaZbrURfyGBaujPOEdgar-Froese-Concert.jpg

1297656062717_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1422126729709

Live, with Brian May on guitar, about 10 years ago...

Tangerine-Dreams-Edgar-Froese-Brian-May.jpg

Archived