Worst handcramp ever!!!!

wankdeplank

• Members

Wankin the plank not choking the chicken.

Yesterday we had a pretty epic first jam (new guitarist) at my buddy, the drummer's house. We'd played through the list of songs I'd gone over with the new guitarist and he starts rattling classic rock songs off the top of his head (James Gang, Rush, The Who, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, you name it) and I'm just learning on the fly (the guy's a frickin tour de force with a great memory for songs). So in the course of three hours we must've played and jammed on forty plus tunes (never playing the same one twice). So I'm driving home after the jam, everything's fine cept for a slightly bruised ego (second fiddle complex), and all of a sudden my fretting hand (on the steering wheel) just goes into the most excruciating convulsive cramp I think I've ever had (had some pretty bad ones in my calf muscles before though). Honestly, at one point it caused me to veer outside of my lane. I ended up driving the rest of the way with only my right hand on the wheel.

Which made me think what if this were to occur in the middle of a show or something - no way you could continue. Anybody experience this? Any thoughts, or solutions?

• Members

When I was playing bass to put food on the table, I suffered a tendon in my fretting hand that popped in the middle of the show, causing 2 fingers to become flipper like appendages. (Pinky and ring fingers btw) I played the next 30 odd minutes with just two fingers, and whimpering like a 6 year old little girl. It required surgery, and 3 months of rehab before getting back to where I was.

• Members

Having experienced a couple of debilitating bouts of tendonitis myself, I would advise you to take breaks and do some arm stretches during your long sessions. I also suggest you stop and rest at the first sign of discomfort. Even when playing shows, the song is not as important as your hand - In other words, don't plow through it and cause real/permanent damage. Listen to your body and when it tells you to stop, stop.

My problems started with a Les Paul. The guitar sounded so good in so many settings that I wanted to play it all the time. Sitting hunched over the small body practicing for hours at a time led to poor posture while gigging with the heavy guitar pressing down on my shoulder caused nerve and muscle problems.

The ultimate solution for me has been a regular Yoga practice which puts all the parts of my body back where they are supposed to be so I can still play my Les Paul without damaging myself or my future.

Archived