Learning things the hard way............The story of how I met Andy

• Members

I, for one, want to thank everybody who posts on this forum. Your knowledge, expertise and experience has helped me tremendously. I don't post here often, but I read here almost daily. I'm not a pro sound guy, but I handle the PA duties for the 2 bands I play in. The questions you guys have taken the time to answer and the info you have provided has made it so I can set up our systems and have them running and sounding good in a short period of time. Also, when I've needed to make a purchase, the info I've received here has helped me make smart buying decisions.

Absolutely !

• Members

Did you trip on your way out of Political Party and fall in here? This isn't the venue for that type of comment.

You've got a choice to make; read your PM and decide.

i have received your pm and it enlightened me to a couple of things

1- my sense of humor is a bit strange

2- i have insulted someone

3- i crapped in a thread that was about good things, ABOUT RESPECTFUL DIALOG, not ABOUT being a jerk yelling from the back row

I would like to formally apologize to OP and everyone else here, thank you for pointing out my flaws and the fact that this IS NOT the cesspool i usually swim in and I must act more grown up in here to participate, and last, to let you know that this is sincere and not about avoiding the ban, i accept that punishment if it is felt necessary.

Good day to Live Sound and please understand I will respect the intent of this sub-forum at any time in the future that I should participate.

Best,

RSB

• Members

I would pay dearly to spend some time "interning" with someone who would have the patience to teach the details of how things work. When I read "the experts" explaining how something works I often find myself spending hours looking for info to better understand what they mean. Christ if I hit the lottery I would go back to school. Just like everything in life there is theory and application. Theory doesn't mean {censored} unless you have the real life experience. Application, as they say, "is where the tire meets the road."

Kinda funny when some guy comes on here saying he wishes he could get someone to show him some stuff but won't tell us where he lives more specifically than "northeast" and disappears when someone offers :freak: . If anyone wants to see me not blow my {censored} up doing a venue about 4x the size I have the rig for this Saturday for a charity gig I could use a watchdog :) .

• Members

Wish I could watch. Too long a drive from West Columbia SC. But if anyone of you knowledgeable type persons is in my area when I do my 2 (charity) Relay For Life gigs next spring (in Newberry and Chapin/Irmo), I would even pay a little just to be the intern and learn how to not blow up my stuff in the process.

• Members
What's the fun of watching you NOT blow your {censored} up?
:lol:

Unfortunately I'm only running 850 w into each of my two 18" Eminence Omega Pro's in Rog folded horns so it's not possible to smoke 'em up for yah ;) . Not near as exciting as the 500w I push into each 200w PV118 on one band's rig - I'm really impressed every time those last another gig :eek: .

• Members

I didn't disappear Roadranger. Unfortunately driving 4-6 hours each way is a little much. The reason I use Northeast is that people often assume NYC if you say NY. Perhaps"upstate NY" would be more precise. While I love visiting "the city" the area I live in is known as the "southern Tier"and is actually quite rural. My neighbor runs a diary operation of about 180 head. I pop in and out of here daily but have been busy setting up for an outdoor party this weekend. Quite large by my standards and going over every detail about the 6th time. Most gigs around here are bars. This weekend I will berunning most of what I own. A lowly MRX rig. but for a change it will be a pair of MRX 528's, a pair of 518's and 4 515 tops. Should be interesting as usually it's a pair of tops and subs. Been kicking around the idea of using 4 HPR122i's as the tops. Decisions, decisions.

• Members

Maybe " County, NY" as the "Southern Tier, NY" or "Upperstate NY" are HUGE areas? Yah, I've been out that way :) .

I pop in and out of here daily but have been busy setting up for an outdoor party this weekend. Quite large by my standards and going over every detail about the 6th time. Most gigs around here are bars. This weekend I will be running most of what I own. A lowly MRX rig. but for a change it will be a pair of MRX 528's, a pair of 518's and 4 515 tops. Should be interesting as usually it's a pair of tops and subs. Been kicking around the idea of using 4 HPR122i's as the tops. Decisions, decisions.

Wow, that should kick some arse! I'm gonna be "all out" myself this weekend at a medium sized outdoor venue. Fortunately (?) it's not going to be R&R - Doo-Wop with 5 vocalists, a keyboard player who sings also, drummer, and sax. Keyboard player plays bass lines with his left hand. That band's been done there in the past with 4 Mackie tops no subs so I'm not worried...

• Members

I also had a "learning" experience with Andy early on. It was about my blowing my sub drivers and that I thought I should be running more power to them for headroom. LOL. I look back to those days as a sort-of baby in the field. I still learn every time I go out with my gear. I know alot more now, however.

Thanks Tomm for starting this thread and thank you to Andy who kicked my ass straight so I could learn more. ;)

• Members
Maybe "
County, NY" as the "Southern Tier, NY" or "Upperstate NY" are HUGE areas? Yah, I've been out that way
:)
.Wow, that should kick some arse! I'm gonna be "all out" myself this weekend at a medium sized outdoor venue. Fortunately (?) it's not going to be R&R - Doo-Wop with 5 vocalists, a keyboard player who sings also, drummer, and sax. Keyboard player plays bass lines with his left hand. That band's been done there in the past with 4 Mackie tops no subs so I'm not worried...

That would have been an improvement to what I did. Mine was 4 DJ's. On the positive side it was probably the easiest thing I've done. All of them total idiots when it comes to electronics. All I had to do was set up and keep an eye on them. The guy who organized the event even had his wife waiting on me hand and foot. Went about 8 hours and I made a decent buck. Got shocked at the end of the night (not electrically) when the MC passed the hat for the guy who supplied the system (me YAY!) Almost doubled what I had quoted. Was told 2-300 outdoors, ended up much higher head count. No altercations the whole day. It was great. When I got there they had one of the DJ's rigs set up. Junk Gemeni dj board with unbalanced outputs into an ancient PV 8.5 amp that had to be 20+ years old. Of course using a RCA to 1/4 cable. The fans had about 1/16 of an inch of dirt crusted on them. Run into a equally as old set of 15" Communitys. They were like kids in a candy store when I got set up. Did I mention that I never lifted a piece of equiptmant as the organizer had help arranged.

• Members

I've learned a lot on this forum, and I've learned a lot on the road. I try to share what I've learned as best I can because to me; knowledge unshared is knowledge unworthy.

I see Andy and Don asking all kinds of questions... about what other people think about the products they're using, to explain the methods for packing, moving, business... because everyone has their own method that works and the more we share with each-other, the more we learn and sometimes we pick up something that saves enough time or effort to be of monetary value.

I'm only 24 and I've only been doing the sound thing professionally for 8. Along the way I've learned a lot of stuff... but I approach each job as a learning opportunity so every gig is rewarding. Sometimes, certain gigs are worth it simply for the lessons learned.

I know my avatar is a picture of a damn dog wearing a hoodie, but I hope that somebody somewhere has taken me seriously and learned something from something I posted. I hope that I have benefited somebody, because I want to give back to the community that has helped me so much.

Archived