New line of Mackie powered "Ego Platforms"

• Members

well its made by mackie, thats why; the AMC pacer of audio (note i did not say pro audio)

I meant this comment.

Originally Posted by RoadRanger

Yah, I sure want to buy products controlled by the Russian Mob .

I have no idea what this is about. Is Mackie, EAW, Ampeg, and others owned by the russian mob now somehow? When did it become so underground? Are they using it for money laundering or drug smuggling?

I myself, have used many Mackie product over the years, 1202, 1402, CFX 16, 1400i amps, 2600i amps and at least 4 450s. I never had a Mackie product fail,given most of my purchases were before Mackie moved over to China.

I wouldn't consider Mackie the AMC Pacer of audio, the SRM 450, I bet is one of the best selling powered speakers all time. The SR 1530 and SA 1232 were decent speakers for there price. When the 1400i arrived, every DJ in my town had one. The 1602 was the standard mixer for bar bands before the Mixwiz.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With 2000 watts and output about the same as my 350W 310A's I'm guessing efficiency wasn't on the top of the priority list for these LOL .

2000 watts and the driver compliment they tour are mutually exclusive unless the power rating is based on the marketing department's math rather than the engineering department's. IMO, this sets the tone of the discussion.

• Members
I meant this comment.

Originally Posted by RoadRanger

Yah, I sure want to buy products controlled by the Russian Mob .

I have no idea what this is about.

Did you not watch the video? Do you not follow the politics of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Block countries?

• Members

Dude, where do you come up with this stuff? I have no idea where you are coming from? Any how, I do not understand how you are bashing a product that is not even out yet. It might be bad advertising or what not, but still I have no idea where some of your comments come from sometimes.

It's kind of funny really. People who use Peavey bashing Mackie, Behringer users bashing Peavey, everyone bashing Carvin, Personus sucks - it goes on and on. How do you think people average over 2000 post a year?

• Members
It's kind of funny really. People who use Peavey bashing Mackie, Behringer users bashing Peavey, everyone bashing Carvin, Personus sucks - it goes on and on. How do you think people average over 2000 post a year?

Actually I quite like my old 1604 for outdoor gigs and have a DL1608 on order. I still think Mackie's marketing sucks at best and is actually over-the-line insulting. Poor Greg must be pretty bummed about what became of his company :( but I'm sure all that money he got for it helps ease the pain quite a bit :D .

• Members

For folks who repair this gear and have real world experience, the comments generally (inversely) track the reliability ratio

• Members

At the price point these are at, they are in direct competition with JBL, QSC, Yamaha, EV, Yorkville and RCF (among others).

The reason I (and quite a few others here) are skeptical is because of the 2000W marketing BS being pushed here. I noticed a lack of SPL numbers (although those are pretty much BS these days as well).

When they are available, I will be giving them a listen; however, considering their price, they will be competing with some pretty good contenders already in the market.

They are also going to have an issue with aesthetics. They don't look like speakers are expected to look.

I also have difficulty believing that a 12" single driver, small box 48lb sub is going to deliver the goods within the ~ $1000.00 powered sub market.

I could be completely wrong on this one, but generally, if it looks to good to be true ..... ;)

• Members
I noticed a lack of SPL numbers (although those are pretty much BS these days as well).

I did see those somewhere - maybe in their user manual? They were in line with the competition. The subs might keep up with the QSC KSub - dunno? We shall see eventually :) .

• Members

Wow that ad is something else. They're trying to sell a product by making light of organized crime. Maybe they'll use drug addiction for their next ad - oh wait they already did that with their mixer ad.

And why did they think (as RR was saying) that folks would go "cool, if it's good enough for the Russian Mafia it must be good enough for me". Not to mention the fact they've insulted every Russian person (or similar) out there - which group or country is next?

I mean sure, in art you can say pretty much what you want - it's art. If it sells it sells, if not oh well. But they're trying to sell product. Or maybe they're not, maybe it's like that show The Producers...

This all makes me miss my Tapco mixer circa 1980.

• Members

No way, I'll never miss one!!!

Ha ha!

Yea, I think there was discussion on here before about those mixers. I had the version with the expansion mixer so I had 14 channels in all. Fourteen channels where the pots would seize up because of some weird sealed oil feature - especially in the middle of winter in the prairies. Still... it was a handy board compared to what I was running previously. And it was the pre-dawn of the first Mackie era, before things went sideways. But maybe I just have rose coloured glasses on.

• Members

I was told long ago (c. 1998) that you could make a very flat responding speaker, very inexpensive, but it will have poor sensitivity (85-88 db). This would not be a problem in the future because you would be able to get 2000-watt amp for cheap. As watts become cheaper speakers will become more inefficient but more accurate.

It looks like Mackie has brought the future to us. With low sensitivity rated drivers they could easily pump 2000-watts without getting stupid loud.

• Members

I would like to know the specifics of the power rating claim as well as the sensitivity/max SPL claim.

Note that you can claim 2000 watts and base a maximum calculated SPL off of such a number even if the driver wouldn't survive for more than a few seconds. If it's really a 250 watt RMS speaker (ie. one that's rated to some "realistic" industry standard, that brings the real world SPL down by maybe 10-12dB once power compression and correction for power are considered. (9dB due to power and another few dB due to power compression).

• Members
I was told long ago (c. 1998) that you could make a very flat responding speaker, very inexpensive, but it will have poor sensitivity (85-88 db). This would not be a problem in the future because you would be able to get 2000-watt amp for cheap. As watts become cheaper speakers will become more inefficient but more accurate.

It looks like Mackie has brought the future to us. With low sensitivity rated drivers they could easily pump 2000-watts without getting stupid loud.

While it is true that we have had great strides over the last few decades in amplifier technology and solid state switching components, there still remains that basic engineering truth to deal with.

You don't get something for nothing.

If an amplification circuit puts out 2000W into a speaker, then all that power must necessarily be turned into either sound, heat, or radiation (light or other EM waves)...... mostly heat. That's ~17 amps of current being put through the box. If it were an electric heater, it would trip most house breakers, so it would be hotter than any commercial electric heater on the market in the US (I personally have 20 amp sockets throughout my basement for exactly this reason ;) ..... but it was a pain running all that 12awg wire and using screw clamp 20amp rated sockets to do it).

It is also just simple physics with the subwoofer size.

You can make a small sub, but you don't get something for nothing!

We know they didn't give up weight. The box is a little pricey at ~1K. The box is tiny for a sub.

What do you think they gave up ;)

Me, I am guessing a combination of sound quality, and output.

• Members

So since Mackie is now posting the coaxial waveguide depictions of clean and intelligible waveforms as opposed to traditional designs, does this render all of their other common horn/woofer designs obsolete? These 2000W units have more supposed power than their HD1521 units. I like the concept and look but I'd rather have it with an EV or any other quality company's name on it. I just can't do Mackie any more. I've experienced plenty of HD1801 failures at my residency. The parts take a lonnnnng time to come in.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with Mackie's designs, nothing wrong with the 1801 either. The problem is the claims, which IMO are getting more and more rediculous, and also the market that tends to use Mackie products it typically less educated in the care and feeding of their products resulting in a much higher failure rate than otherwise justified. Same applies to companies like Behringer.

Of course, there have been their fair share of ribbon cable problems, etc. too, independent of user brain death.

• Members

I was on the edge of getting a pair of HD1531 3-way tops. I had done some direct A/B comparisons to my 2-way EV ZXa5's as I wanted a louder and more articulate solution. The HD1531 was all of that, beating the ZXa5 in loudness, low-end bass, clarity and plain-ole overall sound. The only knock was the weight but it was still pole mountable. I backed out though hearing/reading about reliability issues and a few failures on the Internet. A couple of guys even posted Youtube videos about their issues with that particular speaker. They could have been user error but I witness, first-hand, the long parts lead times dealing with the HD subs.

Someone on here mentions the coax-style speakers, being more rare, are a parts issue in itself especially when that particular speaker is older or discontinued. That doesn't bode well for these DLM's. You never know though. I won't knock 'em until I see/hear them and can make an informed decision. The look is very solid and straight forward. I like Mackie's new non-gawdy logos.

Archived