New line of Mackie powered "Ego Platforms"

• Members

I was told long ago (c. 1998) that you could make a very flat responding speaker, very inexpensive, but it will have poor sensitivity (85-88 db). This would not be a problem in the future because you would be able to get 2000-watt amp for cheap. As watts become cheaper speakers will become more inefficient but more accurate.

This is generally a myth. There is some truth to the fact that more modern live sound speakers have better sound quality ( in some respects) by using lower compression HF drivers, but your thought the way you presented it is misleading.

This is one of those old stories that gets a lot of attention in the tweak hi-fi market.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the design tools available today vs say .... 20 years ago, are light years better. The DSP and amplifier components that are available are also light years better.

I would be amazed if most modern speakers and systems (including powered speakers) were not way better than older speaker systems of the past.

• Members

This is one of those old stories that gets a lot of attention in the tweak hi-fi market.

The hifi market is where think I remember the information coming from. Many HiFi speakers (especially woofers) have excellent low end extension by sacrificing efficiency. There was an old article on the Harmony Central Bass page about building a compact bass cabinet using an inefficient hifi speaker. I believe while researching this project I ran into this "myth".

• Members

The HI Fi market is full of myths, bad info and stinky snake oil salesmen. I left that industry only one year after starting an engineering job with one of them there boutique amplifier companies. It was one of the most unbelievable, Koolaid drinking, mutual masturating group of folks that I have ever been exposed to. If you couldn't hear something it was because your ears were defective. I definately made them hear things that absolutely were not there during a particular scientific listening session and when I presented the correlation data and all their cherished "golden ear" results were nothing but a shotgun blast of a scatter diagram with zero correlation, I was fired. I was told that science had nothing to do with the emotions and warn feelings that they were marketing. I recall saying something along the lines of being dishonest, shameful, deceitful, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Oops :)

Archived