Merry Christmas from Saruman

wankdeplank

• Members

Christopher Lee is 6'5", 92 years old, reprised his role as Saruman in the 2014 Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, and the oldest man to perform heavy metal live and on record:

[video=youtube;-TnFIDKyX50]

PS the latest Hobbit is pretty entertaining (my son said EPIC!).

• Members
92, very impressive.

I tried to watch The Hobbit movie that came out in 2012, after 45 minutes, all they had done was dance with their dinner plates, I found it beyond boring. Get to the story FFS and stop relying on special effects.

Yeah the first one was a little slow. My wife and I both agreed that we preferred the Lord of the Rings trilogy to the Hobbit trilogy but still, for the truly initiated, (having read a book or two), they are all compulsory viewing. Regarding action and drama though, I doubt you would find "The Battle of the Five Armies boring.

• Members

Perhaps not, if there is a plot. I must admit, I'm pretty jaded with overdeveloped computer animations, explosions, extensive scenery shots with no purpose and anything that falls under these parameters. A good story carries a movie, but, I guess mindless sensationalism sells to youth... They can have it.

• Members

Mindless sensationalism? Dude, this is the timeless battle of Good vs Evil.

(Just yankin your chain Billy Boy, I know exactly where you're coming from and one of the reasons I refuse to shell out for the latest remake of some superhero yarn from DC and Marvel comics.)

• Members

Yeah the first one was a little slow. My wife and I both agreed that we preferred the Lord of the Rings trilogy to the Hobbit trilogy but still, for the truly initiated, (having read a book or two), they are all compulsory viewing. Regarding action and drama though, I doubt you would find "The Battle of the Five Armies boring.

I have to say, I'm no snob and like good action. For example, I'm a real fan of the series "Vikings" but really like the story-line, which makes it, IMO.

• Members

When I was growing up (I'm 53), Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing were in a lot of vampire movies together made by Hammer studios in England.....

I used to watch all those as a kid.....I think vampire movies have gotten better as technology has moved forward (Blade movies and Underworld movies come to mind) but those old Hammer movies were what we watched back in the day......Peter Cushing died in 1994 and here's what Christopher Lee had to say about him:

In an interview included on the DVD release of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959), Lee said of his friend's death: "I don't want to sound gloomy, but, at some point of your lives, every one of you will notice that you have in your life one person, one friend whom you love and care for very much. That person is so close to you that you are able to share some things only with him. For example, you can call that friend, and from the very first maniacal laugh or some other joke you will know who is at the other end of that line. We used to do that with him so often. And then when that person is gone, there will be nothing like that in your life ever again."

Peter Cushing

Peter_Cushing.jpg

"Life is short....enjoy every minute and treat all people with kindness, for people that do this are truly the exceptional people and they set the correct example for us all"

• Members

^Cool, I enjoyed reading that - incredible insight about friendship and savoring those times. And what a resume huh?

I thought this was interesting concerning Lee a lifelong villain in movies, and his supposed interest in the occult:

Contrary to popular belief, Lee does not have a vast library of occult books. When giving a speech at the University College Dublin on 8 November 2011, he said: "Somebody wrote I have 20,000 books. I'd have to live in a bath! I have maybe four or five [occult books]." He further admonished the students against baneful occult practices, warning them that he had met "people who claimed to be Satanists. Who claimed to be involved with black magic. Who claimed that they not only knew a lot about it," however he himself had certainly never been involved: "I warn all of you never, never, never. You will not only lose your mind, you'll lose your soul".[153]

Archived