More pa or better pa?

• Members

Hello. First post at this forum. Hoping somone here can give real world advice. I am currently running Jbl mrx 515 over 518 one per side. I find myself running out of gas at at some of our larger shows (rock band). It is not bad, just need slightly more. I am wondering if stepping up to 712 or 715 over 718 will make a large enough difference in spl or if I should just double my system. Size, weight, and number of trips to load in and out are very important to me! I feel i am already over powering the mrx system at 700 to 800 watts per cabinet so just adding more power is not really a solution. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Around 200 is usually the largest crowd. With either route taken i would have to purchase more power. i run the sound, no I dont know what I am doing. The music is rock from 80s throught current. Top speakers are on a bridged plx1602 bottoms are on unbridged plx 2402. I do not use a dsp. I think that answers all questions

• Members

I run the same and adding two more 18's seem to be the way to go and you have two cool stacks, but my concern is getting two 515's side by side on top of the 18's, think it would be next to impossible even if you made a bracket to mount them together. Maybe better to take the hit and move on up to the next series, as I hear the SRX's kick some a**!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robsco

View Post

Around 200 is usually the largest crowd. With either route taken i would have to purchase more power. i run the sound, no I dont know what I am doing. The music is rock from 80s throught current. Top speakers are on a bridged plx1602 bottoms are on unbridged plx 2402. I do not use a dsp. I think that answers all questions

What are you using for a crossover? Are the subs running out of power before the tops?

• Members

View Post

I am running a peavey kosmos (please don't laugh) for crossover. The bottoms do run out first but the tops aren't far behind

What crossover frequency do you use? MRX518's are being discontinued and are cheap right now. Your present amp can power two per side.

• Members

are you usign the peavey kosmos to do any kind of enhancement, or just as a crossover. that unit can seriously damage speakers if improperly used, and really needs to be handled with care..ask my roomate after meyersound reconed hismonitors..

does the kosmos have a highpass crossover in it? i thought it was only able to output lowpass to the sub channel. that would explain your tops running out of power, they are being asked to do more than they should be. if using enhancement in the kosmos to get more out of the subs, that would explain why they run out of power first.

my suggestion is to ditch the kosmos and get a simpler more effective crossover unit, and some kind of eq to maximize clarity and room interactions which can also play a part in a system reaching max capability.

• Members

I use the kosmos effects VERY sparingly. it does not have a high pass filter as far as I know. I do have eq for mains and monitors. Do you think moving to a dsp would add any sizeable gain ? My main qustion is will the srx be a huge upgrade or do I need to start hauling twice the system

• Members

View Post

Have you considered a powered system? After reading your post this is what I would recommend.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin

View Post

I run the same and adding two more 18's seem to be the way to go and you have two cool stacks, but my concern is getting two 515's side by side on top of the 18's, think it would be next to impossible even if you made a bracket to mount them together. Maybe better to take the hit and move on up to the next series, as I hear the SRX's kick some a**!

I made a "T" bracket out of pipe fittings to mount 2 MRX515's side by side over my subs. It works just fine.

• Members

View Post

I use the kosmos effects VERY sparingly. it does not have a high pass filter as far as I know. I do have eq for mains and monitors. Do you think moving to a dsp would add any sizeable gain ? My main qustion is will the srx be a huge upgrade or do I need to start hauling twice the system

Get a DBX 223XL crossover and you'll get more out of the tops for sure - subs too. Give the Kosmos to some band you want to screw over. It isn't worth any further speculation until you get that sorted out and see if your system is now OK for you smile.gif .

• Members

2 of the 518's side by side will handle 2 of the 515's on top.

That's not a great choice of amp for the tops, kind of too small stereo and too big bridged.

A pair of 3002's run stereo would be a great way to go, 2 subs on 1 channel, 2 tops on the other channel each amp.

Get a real crossover and I think your results will be better as well. DSP is fine IF you are willing to accept and deal with the learning curve.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
2 of the 518's side by side will handle 2 of the 515's on top.

That's not a great choice of amp for the tops, kind of too small stereo and too big bridged.

A pair of 3002's run stereo would be a great way to go, 2 subs on 1 channel, 2 tops on the other channel each amp.

Get a real crossover and I think your results will be better as well. DSP is fine IF you are willing to accept and deal with the learning curve.
700 series would be better, but 1 x 718 sub is equal to about 1.5 of the 518 subs (when LF coupling and extension are factored in). The smaller package comes at a price however and a single 718 sub is not going to have the output (with extension) of dual 518's.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Robsco View Post
Is everyone in agreement that the kosmos goes to trash bin. It does seem to wake up subs when used carefully. I have been talking about ditching it for over 2 years though
I wouldn't say to throw it in trash, lol, but take it out of the system and get the dbx crossover posted above.

To use the kosmos you really need the power and subs to handle it. For instance, we sometimes use a kosmos, very sparingly, to beef up the kick drum. But we're also running 2 or more Yorkville LS1208's powered with QSC PLX3602's. Those subs can handle it. Yours could get popped at the bump of a knob with it.

• Members

thanks guys I really do appreciate the help. If I were to buy the srx tops and bottoms for weekly use, could I add the mrx system to it for small outdoor stuff or are the cabinets too disimilar. Also could I power two 718s and two 712s off of one itech 4000 or 6000. I really am after a smaller yet more capable system

• Members

My small system consists of either an ITech 4000 or 6000 and a pair of 715's or 712's/718's. I can fit the whole rig, monitors, effects, snake, mixer, tons of other {censored}, plus a 5 piece drum set into my Toyota 4- Runner. It is a great sounding system. I have countless Y-Tube videos of the system in action. I just posted a couple in a recent thread. I can comfortably cover up to 300 people indoors with this system.

Archived