More pa or better pa?

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by gdawg55

View Post

I would say you need a better amp for driving the low end. You will notice a big improvement if you get a proper amp (Itech 4k, PL380, Crest 9200, etc). PLX amps perform much better on the top end vs the low end. They will obviously work for your application, but you will notice a huge improvement if you get a better amp IMHO. Properly set up, you should be able to detect better performance from the SRX718 vs the MRX subs.

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

I call BS on the PLX/PL being poor on subs. That's a perpetuation of urban myth IMO.

I have a whole bunch of 718's powered 2 per side on PLX-3402's and they are used with mid level national acts all the time with no complaints at all. None. Zero.

I also have enough rig for the gig, it's properly set up, processed and operated. That just might have something to do with the results.

I'll second this. My old PLX does just fine on my sr4719x's. I've used other amps, and nobody has ever commented on a preference. I find it ironic that almost anyone who's used power amps realizes there's little to no *sonic* difference among brands and models, yet somehow a respected amp series supposedly "doesn't work" on subs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

It's the power of marketing, with a fresh steaming pile served up warm.

Yep, and further proof that whatever Nazi stated, (paraphrased) "Lies told often enough, and with enough conviction will eventually be accepted by the people as truths" was very perceptive and exactly correct.

Archived