More pa or better pa?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robsco

View Post

Do you prefer the 12s or 15s over subs?

Both sound great over subs. You can't go wrong with Age's preset for the 712/718 combo either. Still waiting to see if he ever comes up with anything for the 715.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A pair EV ZXA5 along with a pair Yorkville LS801P would do you justice to keep up with rock bands with racks and stacks back lines.

So you won't run out of gas so fast if they get excited with the stage wash volume. Plus the EV's have a HPF switch you could use for the LS subs and use the LPF knob to blend the 2 together. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Members

I would think you "should" be able to cover 200 indoors with your current system for most rock, but I can understand running out of gas for some gigs too. I don't know how your area compares, but around here outside of private gigs, most any venue that holds much over 200 has an installed system which makes buying, storing and hauling around twice the gear for the occasional gig a pretty big increase in cost and hassle factor.

Even if you always provide your own PA in your area, think hard about how often you will really need the extra gear and then price renting a bigger system for the few times you need it. If you need it regularly, then sure it might make sense buy more or better, but if it's only a couple of times a year it probably makes more sense to rent or hire out. Even if you are confident of continuing to need more decide to increase your capabilities, I would look hard at moving up to better over adding more. An SRX rig with a single stack per side will handle most anything inside for up to around 300 and has to be one of the most easily rented gear available around most larger cities in the country for the odd gig where you need more. Storing, insuring and hauling has a real cost too that you should factor in.

Personally, I'd much rather upgrade and haul around less gear while also enjoying the benefits of better quality sound at all the smaller gigs.

YMMV, good luck deciding.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robsco

View Post

Are you recomending I run the two 518s (2 ohm load) on one side of plx3002? I guess thats the same as my 1602 bridged 4 ohm, just seems scary

If it were me screw doubling up because of extra gear to roadie on load in/outs I would move up to the SXR line if you wanna stay passive.

but 1st get a real x-over like DBX 223 and might try that Kosmos on the kick channel insert which you may or may not like the results.

I dunno never used a Kosmos but used Aphex units that are similar.

• Members

I'd say buy a crossover first and try and get your system setup sounding right.

In a perfect world I'd say you'd wanna put max around 600-700w per sub and 400-500 per top. With a sub/top ratio of +6db you could be around 800w and 400w (+3db gain on subs at thos level) or some ratio that gets close.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twostone View Post
If it were me screw doubling up because of extra gear to roadie on load in/outs I would move up to the SXR line if you wanna stay passive.
The problem with upgrading to the SRX is that it's still not going to be the same as doubling up the 518's, and while the tops may not an issue either way... IF there are gigs where greater horizontal coverage is required, the 2 x MRX give options that the single SRX top does not. There is also the ability to scale the rig for the gig.

It's not a black or while situation. For some needs doubling up might be better, for others a better single cabinet might be better. Personally, I prefer the better cabinet but I also have the enventort to use as many SRX's as I need so it's still scalable but I doubt that that OP has the same budget or willingness to invest that I do.

• Members

The budget is there but the willingness is questionable. I am leaning toward the srx rig but would still like to know if my original mrx speakers could be added to the srx rig for the largest of shows I would attempt. Would these two speakers mix well or would I wind up with a bastard system that sounds worse than either standing alone?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

The problem with upgrading to the SRX is that it's still not going to be the same as doubling up the 518's, and while the tops may not an issue either way... IF there are gigs where greater horizontal coverage is required, the 2 x MRX give options that the single SRX top does not. There is also the ability to scale the rig for the gig.

This is what I was referring to up in #24. Personally, I would rather run the SRX rig instead of the MRX rig. It flat out sounds better. But the scalability of having 4 tops and 4 bottoms out weighs the quality improvement IMO.

I know that with my system (PRX612s/618XLFs), I have found the flexablity of having 4 of each box to be wonderful. I can steer much better allowing me to rock the whole room without being too loud in some areas just to get adiquate SPL in others. YRMV.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

It's not a black or while situation. For some needs doubling up might be better, for others a better single cabinet might be better. Personally, I prefer the better cabinet but I also have the enventort to use as many SRX's as I need so it's still scalable but I doubt that that OP has the same budget or willingness to invest that I do.

I understand that Age but from what I gathered the OP's question was basically if he should get more cabs or better cabs so I said if it were me I would go with better which even yourself would go with better.

• Members

I understand that Age but from what I gathered the OP's question was basically if he should get more cabs or better cabs so I said if it were me I would go with better which even yourself would go with better.

But you are missing the point of Goose's and my argument that for US it may be a better choice but I don't think this is necessarily true for the OP. I'm not sure that it's the best way for exactly the same reasons Goose used in his application. My concern is that one of the 718's is not going to keep up with 2 of the 518's so IF size and total weight is not an issue the 518 solution would be a better choice. IF size and weight was very important and he could live with less low end, then the 718 would be a better choice. If the OP doesn't need any more coverage than a single 712 will give, then that' would be the better choice BUT if like Goose and I have found for our clients that wider or more flexable coverage might be more important then the 712 solution is just not as good fpor the application than 2 of the 512's.

This is what I always say about thoroughly understanding the problems and the bigger picture before jumping to an unyielding solution. Sometimes there's both two righ and two wrong answers depending on how the question is asked.

• Members

What would you choose to run 712 over 718

What would I choose for amps, or speaker poles or ???

Amps? I would recommend either PLX 3002's or 3402's or something similar (ie. current models). I have a lot of these cabinets running with 3402's and just a little common sense and proper set-up of the amp's internal processing makes for a pretty darn reliable system. I have a couple dozen of the SRX's and 3402's, they are time tested in pretty serious applications.

• Members

That would be my pick which will cover a 2oo seater with no probs and sound great doing so.

Sure as hell won't cover a thrust stage 200 seater with seating 180 to 220 degrees around. It's a fairly common application for shallow spaces in the 100-200 capacity.

This is why I will not say one is better than another without qualifying the layout of the room. You are pertty quick to make unqualified recommendations that may or may not be a good solution.

• Members

Sure as hell won't cover a thrust stage 200 seater with seating 180 to 220 degrees around. It's a fairly common application for shallow spaces in the 100-200 capacity.

This is why I will not say one is better than another without qualifying the layout of the room. You are pertty quick to make unqualified recommendations that may or may not be a good solution.

I'm not the only person that suggested SRX and my original suggestion was EV over Yorkies because it would take pair of JBL subs to keep up with the Yorkies and the EVs throw further then JBL's and I rather load 4 cabs then 8 and lose the amp rack but that's me and I'm done here.

This threat is all yours.

• Members

My personal experience is that for the rooms I play (100-250 max), the dance floor is usually a relatively small area. This is the area that I most want the music to thump and punch. I can usually get this with a pair of tops over a pair of subs (DSR112/PRX618s-XLF).

It is true that in a wide and shallow room, I will have spots that don't sound as good as others, I have found that the people that tend to sit "out on the wings" want less SPL out their way .... so it sort of works out.

For ME and my situation, I would much prefer the SRX rig over a bigger MRX rig. The SRX rig has higher SPL, higher clarity (which to me means you can cover more area with the same SPL), and has way more punch.

My pick would be SRX715's over SRX718's with PLX3002 in stereo on the tops and the PLX3402 on the bottoms.

• Members

I'm not the only person that suggested SRX and my original suggestion was EV over Yorkies because it would take pair of JBL subs to keep up with the Yorkies and the EVs throw further then JBL's and I rather load 4 cabs then 8 and lose the amp rack but that's me and I'm done here.

This threat is all yours.

No, but you are the only person who did no grasp the whole concept of the applications being discussed and that there is not one and only one answer depening on the application. I don't know if you are being argumentative, just not understanding any of the details of the specific discussion, or just acting dense. Your application and your thought processes are clearly different than most of us appearently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

After considering all advice given here I decided to buy two lightly (hopefully) used srx718 cabinets. I'm going to try these with the mrx515 tops and see how that works for a show or two, then go from there. I also bought the dbx 223xl that was recommended. My new questions are as follows. 1 - will a plx 1602 bridged be adequate for these subs. 2 - where should I set crossover points for 515 over 518 speakers and 515 over 718 speakers. 3 - if I use both sets of subs how should I arrange them. Thanks for all the help

• Members

If you already have a PLX1602 go ahead and use it. But if you're buying an amp to run them, if it were me I'd buy a PLX3002. and run it bridged. Set the crossover at 100 to start with and tweak a little up and down until you find what works best for your application.

Archived