Got another sound gig

• Members

i will be running sound for my area's hottest band(and one I was in on as an original player). I played bass with these guys for over five years,and they are getting ready to celebrate their 12th year as the areas top money maker.I will have to rent a 24 channel Mackie board,and a 24/4 snake so my entire set-up will change for this gig,but it will be a helluva lot of fun mixing my old band!!! Just thought I would share that.I guess I've started to make a good reputation as a soundman for myself as these boys can get whomever they want!!!:thu::thu::):)

• Members

Odd coincidence, I just had a nightmare about a Mackie 24 channel board. I'm not knocking them, but for some reason I had this bad dream last night about a 24 Mackie board. Guess I've got to stop visiting HC late at night.

Anyway, congrats on your new gig. Here's hoping it's fun and profitable.

• Members

Odd coincidence, I just had a nightmare about a Mackie 24 channel board. I'm not knocking them, but for some reason I had this bad dream last night about a 24 Mackie board. Guess I've got to stop visiting HC late at night. And this was before I read this thread.

Anyway, congrats on your new gig. Here's hoping it's fun and profitable.

• Members

Went and picked up the board (Mackie 32 channel),snake,and a small set of racks(eqs,and effects).I am renting these so I thought I should get "aquainted" with them.I'm really excited about this sound gig,and,to be honest,a little nervous.The fellow I'm renting the board,snake,and effects from is the same one that owns the SR 4732/19 speaker system that I am still considering purchasing.Maybe I can talk the band into renting those speakers and running them at our next gig with all my {censored} to see just what a difference (if any)they will really make.Anyways I will post how it went when we are through!!!

• Members

OK! Gig went well,and I can expect more in the future.In fact they want to use me anytime I don't have another gig!!! I felt it went OK,but the board I rented had a lot of trouble spots.Cracklng faders,and just the type of {censored} that I am not used too.It was an outdoor festival type gig,and it was a bright,sunny day (which plays hell on seeing indicator lights).There was a huge,permanent distro right in front of the stage they built just for this.Distro had two seperate 220s,and six seperate 110s!!! I was in heaven when I saw it as power was my biggest concern going into this. My heaven turned instantly to hell when after plugging everything in,there was no power!!! Main breaker box was locked,and I just knew I was {censored}ed!!! One of the people putting on the event(County Humane Society),sent a man over with a key,and I was once again standing at the pearly gates of soundman bliss!!!! Other than the fear of using the faders on this rental board,that was the only thing I would consider "bad" about this gig. Got the system running by 2:30,and the band started at 6:00. Still warm,and sunny when they started,and I was having a little trouble gettin the vox where I wanted them(scratchy faders that popped,and {censored}).As the sun started setting the temps started dropping quick. Second set it all came together. I really liked the mix from that point on,but till had to be very careful with the faders. By 10:00 P.M. there was a light coating of dew starting,and I never realised how temp/humidity effect sound!!! Duh how could it not. Anyway was torn down,and back on the road by 11:15 with my check for $400.Not a bad Saturday at all IMO.If I had my own 24 channel board,and snake,I could get used to this.

• Members

How much more would you have paid to have a board free from those problems... this is why it's often worth more money to avoid such situations.

This is why I preach about reliabiloity and robustness so often.

He's just saying.

• Members

I am happy your gig went well. I too have experienced trying to read indicator lights in the bright sunshine - and it is a whole new ball game. I am not that much of a "hater" - but I HATE equipment that doesn't work flawlessly. (Zero tolerance.)

• Members

I along with everyone else don't like scratchy popping faders also. for one it would embarrass me and scare everyone to death when it would pop back own all of a sudden. I used a board at a running event last year and i had to set two boards up at two different locations , well, while i was setting one board up , the announcer was talking on the other board a block or so away and then this guy comes up and says that the other board just went out on him in mid speech and so i went to figure it out and found out it was a fader going bad or something. and you talk about embarrassed, I was. any ways congrats on the gig and the future gigs with them and glad it all went well with the exception of the faders.

• Members

Here is the breakdown.I have a system that I use for my band.It is all MY band needs,and functions flawlessly.My old band got wind that I have a system,and due to a double booking,found that they needed one for a one time show.After much consideration we (the band,and I) decided that all I needed was more channels,so I should rent a board,and take the gig.I contacted the old sound provider (and the one they are using again) to see what he would do for me.In the meantime I find out they are looking for a fulltime,dedicated soundman,and system as the one they have been using for the last 4 years is getting out of the business. Also in the meantime,one of the original members (and a good friend) comes to one of my band's shows,and loves the sound.It then becomes "After what I heard,you can do our sound ALL the time as far as I'm concerned",and I let them know I was skiddish about renting anything,but would do it for them.So,what it becomes is a situation where I can do sound for these guys,and make enough money to afford all the system upgrades I've been considering.At the same time,the guy I've been flirting with buying the JBL SR 4732/19 FOH speaker system just rented me a board that I would not BUY for what I rented it for.Where that comes in handy is that I can use that as leverage against pricing if I decide to buy one of his systems (speakers only).With 4-4732s,and 4-4719s (two of both per side),I will always have enough rig for the gig,and when I returned the stuff I rented,he had the exact set of speakers( I am considering purchasing) set up,and running.I've got to tell you,that is still one of the most kick-ass FOH speaker rigs I have heard.I told him about the poor condition of the board,and I could tell it did embarrass him.I wasn't a dick (like I could have,and probably should have been) to him.I just told him there was a lot of noise in the faders on that board,that could have damadged things at the spl levels I was running.Bottom line,I did a favor for my old band,pulled the venue's tit out of a ringer,and,IMO bought myself some leverage(maybe not much,but some) towards a major purchase in the future.Everone that I needed to be happy is happy,and I got to plant a few seeds.

• Members

I am happy your gig went well. I too have experienced trying to read indicator lights in the bright sunshine - and it is a whole new ball game. I am not that much of a "hater" - but I HATE equipment that doesn't work flawlessly. (Zero tolerance.)

Agreed + 1000!!! I would not run something like that,but I took the board straight from their gig the night before to my venue.It was only after I got it up and running that I found out about these problems.The guy running their sound on that board the night before didn't move,or change anything in my presance so it didn't present itself as a problem until it was too late to do anything but go with it.

Archived