Got a big P/A, dammit, gonna use it!

• Members

That number on it's own doesn't give enough info...

Was it *A* or *C* weighted (big difference)

How far away was the measurement taken?

Not saying that the band wasn't to loud for the the venue and situation they were playing in....but I wish I could live in a world where the volume level was only 105dba....which for my ears, I don't consider too loud.

105 dba is pretty loud. 105 dbc a bit more palatable. My band is 107 dbc at the keyboards. It's probably 3-6 db higher at the guitar on the other side of the stage. And they wonder why they can't hear the keys. (Without running the keys into the monitor. I'd hate it if the guitar was in the monitor. At least in this band.)

• Members

It also matters if the band is any good!

Bands that have a great sound even though loud are still more enjoyable to listen to then ones that just suck *ss, a bad band that has a bad sound....is just bad all the way around!

I've walked out of concerts by Kool and the Gang and Brainchild because it was ridiculously loud. In both cases the music was clear and perfectly mixed. (except for that volume thing.) A good band might be more tolerable when too loud, but there is a limit. I would have loved to listen to Earth Wind and Fire without my earplugs in, but it was too loud and that hurts enjoyment of the concert. (At Red Rocks.) Hazel Miller opened for them and wasn't too loud. (Local R&B singer. Pretty good too.) Audiences should start asking for their money back and leaving. That would put an end to it. (Especially the asking for a refund part.) Concerts that I've never considered too loud. BS&T, the Temptations, Cuba Gooding Sr. It's really ironic but the last time I saw BS&T was at the concert where we walked out on Kool and the Gang. Same venue, same PA, same night. So different a volume. There's really no call for that.

• Members

I've always assumed that the Mother of the Bride was even more important to please than the Bride herself. Wonder if that's true?

Based on a couple DJ gigs I did a few months ago I would say yes.

On 1 the wedding party was requesting songs, no one dancing. The Mother (also my friend) of the Bride told me what to play. Lots-a-dancing.

In the other one, the Mother (also my friend) of the Groom and I conspired to change the Mother/Groom dance song. We told the Groom about it when it was his turn to dance.

Mothers hold all the power.

• CMS Author

Based on a couple DJ gigs I did a few months ago I would say yes.

On 1 the wedding party was requesting songs, no one dancing. The Mother (also my friend) of the Bride told me what to play. Lots-a-dancing.

In the other one, the Mother (also my friend) of the Groom and I conspired to change the Mother/Groom dance song. We told the Groom about it when it was his turn to dance.

Mothers hold all the power.

"If Momma's unhappy, ain't nobody happy"

• Members

We bring our full setup but we are always appropriate for the room. Weddings are a lot of fun and I love a full dance floor. We always start off a bit lower than our usual, and sometimes we bump it up a touch, a lot of times we don't!

The nice thing with hiring a band is that it's more interactive and everyone stays late, instead of heading out to a club around midnight. Havering a drink with the parents if the groom on the last one, they commented on how good of a time everyone had, and the next day when we tore down the groom said everyone was talking about how much fun they had with the band at the gift opening.

:thu:

• Members

From Nashville? I really thought these guys were entertaining as hell.

On any given weekend night there are multiple Spazmatics acts performing across the US. The name is owned and managed by a group out of California I believe that also owns and manages the Metal Gods and some other tribute style bands.

Both of the above acts have been playing the same club in Salt Lake for at least 10 years on about a 3 week rotation.

• Members
My Brothers,

Attended a wedding as a guest last night in a really cool jazz venue in New Orleans. The Band was set up in an adjoining room prior to the ceremony. I noticed some heavy duty JBL speakers, (4) 18" subs, and (2) 15" tops and wondered why so much for a dinner reception. Well, after the ceremony, buddy, they cranked up. All instruments running thru sound system. Guitar, bass, keys, drums.

Checked the sound level with my IPhone db app, and it was over 105db. Guests couldn't hear each other at all, folks walking out to adjoining rooms and patio.

My question is why didn't the venue management control this? Why do bands do this?

The event was very classy, except for this!

105db doesn't sound loud at all to me, but then you didn't say where you were measuring from. At the dance floor area, that wouldn't be very loud.

• Members
Who asked you to turn up? I always ignore the drunks. (They seem to be the ones most interested in drowning themselves in sound.) And you could always ignore the fact that the PA couldn't handle it and just crank the guitars. (That would probably sound like crap.) It's always better to go for the good mix and not worry. If someone really needs the band loud, they can park at the singer's feet.

we get asked to turn up occasionally at a few of the bars we play. (by the owners/managers)

• Members
Who asked you to turn up? I always ignore the drunks. (They seem to be the ones most interested in drowning themselves in sound.) And you could always ignore the fact that the PA couldn't handle it and just crank the guitars. (That would probably sound like crap.) It's always better to go for the good mix and not worry. If someone really needs the band loud, they can park at the singer's feet.

that's inside the main stacks though. If the stage volume is sane, it won't be very loud there.

• Members

Bingo....that is exactly why the FOH BE was at fault here. Stage volume is an issue but you can line a system from wall to wall and "turn it down"

As long as it doesn't interfere with sightlines. For the high dollar shows I do, less is more because of the expensive seats down front and production kills of $75 seats is something that we try to avoid. I fly when possible but sometimes it's not possible BUT a more compact rig that's enough for the gig without being overkill can alleviate this issue.

• Members

I think the question should be... was this band a "bar band" or a "wedding band"?

We run for both Bar and Wedding/Corporate bands. We typically bring out the same SRX722/SRX728 rig for anything under 300 people. While it looks big and sometimes out of place; we don

Archived