Yamaha Motif XF8 vs MOXF8

Vito Corleone

• Members

I usually assign filter sweep to the mod wheel when I want to perform with it live anyway. I don't like using those little knobs live if I don't have to.

But one of the reasons I need to replace the old Motif is the knob for cutoff filter is about worn out and the mod wheel is loose and wobbly. Even though I've opened up the board and tightened it several times, it keeps getting loose. And there are something like 30-40 little screws that need to be removed to open up the case on that thing.

Definitely got my money's worth out of it for sure! I dunno if I'll get 14 years out of the MOXF8 like I did out of the Motif6. But I'll be 67 in 14 years and probably be retired from live performing anyway!

• Members
I opted for the Roland FA08 instead' date=' I liked the supernatural pianos and synth tones.[/quote']

I like those, too.

I enjoy having both the Roland Jupiter-50 and the MOX6. While I might wish that I had a Jupiter-80 and XF7 in my home studio, moving the Jupiter-50 and the MOX6 around is a breeze. I feel as though I have an incredible collection of sounds at my disposal, although I don't play in a band right now - I just get together with friends and have long improv sessions.

It is all a matter of personal preference, but for me I prefer the Roland Supernatural pianos over the Motif/MOX pianos. That said, the differences are not huge.

I also like having a "real" VA synth combined with my rompler sounds (the Supernatural Synth in the Jupiter-50), as opposed to only sampled synth sounds (in the MOX).

These are all great keyboards for the money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Hey Michael' date=' What do you think of the Roland Integra-7?.....I thought it was pretty cool as it has over 6000 sounds and all the Roland SRX boards built in...[/quote']

I would love to have an Integra. I like the idea of an instrument that is designed to run in 16-part mode exclusively, and with all of the effects available for each of the 16 parts. I also would like to hear the additional Supernatural acoustic instruments - I think it has even more than the Jupiters do.

On the other hand, the Integra may have just TOO many sounds in it. Too many choices can tie up too much of my time, pouring through patches on and on and on. I used to have an XV5050, but sold it, because it had lots of legacy Roland sounds that were redundant.

I would love it if you could have an Integra that basically could dump all of its sounds into my computer. And then I'd be happy to simply load my most favorite 250 sounds into the Integra and leave it at that. I don't need 220 string patches - just ten or so that I like the best. I don't need 165 organ patches - just my favorite 5-6 would be fine with me.

• Members

I hear you on too many sounds. I'm primarily a gigging musician, and time and again over the years I'll start out thinking it's great to have all these slight variances on piano, organ, string, etc patches because they sound great at home, only to find that once I get on stage with the band, all those slight variances get lost. The audience certainly doesn't notice them, but more importantly, some patches stand out and cut through the mix better than others. So I find I end up using the same 2-3 patches of each type of sound.

• Members
I hear you on too many sounds. I'm primarily a gigging musician' date=' and time and again over the years I'll start out thinking it's great to have all these slight variances on piano, organ, string, etc patches because they sound great at home, only to find that once I get on stage with the band, all those slight variances get lost. The audience certainly doesn't notice them, but more importantly, some patches stand out and cut through the mix better than others. So I find I end up using the same 2-3 patches of each type of sound.[/quote']

For me the "lots of nuanced sounds" vs "a handful of bread and butter patches" thing tends to be cyclical. For me, the pendulum tends to swing toward less is more when I'm pressed for time (too many new tunes in a short period of time) ... and then stays there because it's the path of least resistance. At the moment, I'm at the other end of the spectrum - in a large part, due to my Kronos - and the groove I've fallen into when it comes to learning tunes. These days - I'm learning new material at a reasonable clip (a tune or two a week) - so finding time to play with sounds isn't too much of a burden. Now, when I learn a tune - I spend a little time crafting my patch setup as part of the learning process. The Kronos' vast # of storage locations for user defined patches combined with the "Set List Mode" which allows you to easily call up whatever patches needed for a show without any sort of "menu diving" allows me to save the patch(es) I plan to use for each song by song name and then incorporate them into a Set List for getting at them live - makes using lots of different patches practical.

When I started going this route shortly after adding the Kronos to my rig - my bandmates noticed it immediately - and commented on how much my broader sound palate was adding to my sound. I've been doing it this way ever since.

• Members

It's definitely easy to use a zillion different patches with something like the Kronos. I just find that sometimes those nuanced patches I think are wonderful don't work as well as I thought they would when I get to the gig and sometimes I end up going back to some bread and butter sounds.

But patch creation is probably the bulk of my learning process. Especially with a lot of the kind of stuff we're doing these days. Doing modern pop stuff, it might take me a couple of hours to get all the patches to sound and react the way I need them to, but the actual learning-of-the-song will take a couple of minutes.

• Members
.... I just find that sometimes those nuanced patches I think are wonderful don't work as well as I thought they would when I get to the gig and sometimes I end up going back to some bread and butter sounds.

Yeah ... I've done the same thing many times as well. Although, I think that I have gotten a lot better at recognizing what will not work live - which has helped my "win" percentage in this regard. I've learned to avoid using anything with a "slow" attack, sounds that strike me as "wisp-y" or "ethereal", sounds that don't contain something that has a percussive edge in them, etc.

I've also learned to accept that it's rare that my "first pass" at a patch stands the test of time without at least some tweaking. Most of 'em go through a couple cycles of "work on it at home - try it with the band - work on it at home - try it with the band". Sometimes my "tweaks" are related to the sound itself - other times, they're focused on "ergonomics" (placing the sound on the keyboard of choice and in a position (i.e., octave, register) that sounds right for the tune and is comfortable to play (i.e., avoiding trying to play with hands "stacked" one directly of the other - or having to cross). I feel like I'm getting better (faster?) at getting my patches dialed in.

As far as "bread and butter" sounds go - I've created a template Set List on my Kronos that includes 8-10 of my favorite "bread and butter" patches. I use this template as a starting point when building my setlist for a gig. When I build a Setlist for an evening - I always put a "start of set marker" (my favorite piano patch - labeled with "Set #x" in first position on the screen (upper left corner)) and ensure that each set starts on a new page (on the screen display). My 8-10 "bread and butter" patches are essentially tacked onto the end of night's "song specific" patches. If a "song specific" patch isn't working - I can bail out and call up a piano patch with a single button at any time or hit "next page" a couple of times and grab something from my "bread and butter" collection.

• Members

I've also learned to accept that it's rare that my "first pass" at a patch stands the test of time without at least some tweaking. Most of 'em go through a couple cycles of "work on it at home - try it with the band - work on it at home - try it with the band".

Yep. This is my M.O. as well.

As far as "bread and butter" sounds go - I've created a template Set List on my Kronos that includes 8-10 of my favorite "bread and butter" patches. I use this template as a starting point when building my setlist for a gig. When I build a Setlist for an evening - I always put a "start of set marker" (my favorite piano patch - labeled with "Set #x" in first position on the screen (upper left corner)) and ensure that each set starts on a new page (on the screen display). My 8-10 "bread and butter" patches are essentially tacked onto the end of night's "song specific" patches. If a "song specific" patch isn't working - I can bail out and call up a piano patch with a single button at any time or hit "next page" a couple of times and grab something from my "bread and butter" collection.

I don't build a new Setlist for every gig---things end up changing too much at the last minute too often for that really work well---but our general outline of the sets is the same. So unless a song has shifted from being a 3rd setter to a 1st setter, then I usually just work with the layout as is.

There are always a couple of times during the set that I wish I was scrolling through patch changes with a foot pedal, but I'm reluctant to go that route as the LAST thing I want is another damned footpedal on the floor around me! But on the songs/medleys where I'm scrolling through 8-10 patch changes, reaching up and doing it by hand is sometimes inconvenient as well.

I probably use about 50-60 Setlist spots on the Kronos per gig and 15-20 Master mode settings on the Motif. Since I can see so many at one time on the Kronos screen, I don't find it imperative to have them all in exact playing order. More so on the Motif.

Speaking of which....I've GOT to sit down and start digging into that MOXF8. Get it gig ready is going to mean a major overhaul of how I have my patches laid out. It's going to take a few days and the next gig is in 2 weeks, so I gotta get busy with this. Busy with work and some remodeling in the house, but no more excuses. I must play!

• Members

I don't build a new Setlist for every gig---things end up changing too much at the last minute too often for that really work well---but our general outline of the sets is the same. So unless a song has shifted from being a 3rd setter to a 1st setter, then I usually just work with the layout as is.

We write a new setlist for pretty much every gig. Obviously, they're a "variation on a theme" - but still, there's 20% - 25% of the songs that change from gig to gig (we do that for our benefit - primarily so that we keep everything in the repertoire reasonably "fresh"). Even if we don't swap songs in and out of the setlist - we do try to shuffle the order. If we played a tune late in the evening at one gig ... we move it to an "early in the evening" spot for the next gig. We are also careful about not constantly using the same tunes as set openers and/or set closers.

As far as creating a "Setlist" on the Kronos goes. I virtually always build "fresh" one for each gig. There's enough changes from night to night - that it makes sense - especially since I've gotten pretty quick about it. I timed myself at the last gig ... and it took me less than 8 minutes from start to finish. I view it as a tiny investment of time - that pays big in terms of helping make my night go more smoothly.

• Members

Hello! I am new to the forum and joined up so I can pick brains! I am a veteran musician of 50 years as mainly a guitarist and secondly a keyboardist. Which brings me here....looking for help. I have a Korg DSS-1 in which my main floppy recently bit the dust. It is KSDU-013. Yes I failed to back it up twice as this was my backup. I am wondering where I can get that disk w/o downloading COPYQM due to all my PCs are XP and 8. I do see disks on e-Bay etc however not that disk. It's the only one I use due to Pianos ,organs, strings DWGPAD ,Choirs that I use are on system B on that disk. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I also have a Juno Di however I midi the 2 together and one w/o the other is like loosing a leg to stand on. Thanks

• Members
I have a Korg DSS-1 in which my main floppy recently bit the dust. It is KSDU-013. Yes I failed to back it up twice as this was my backup. I am wondering where I can get that disk w/o downloading COPYQM due to all my PCs are XP and 8. I

You might have better luck posting on http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

Archived