Beware of Mr. Baker documentary

Anderton

• Members

There are moments when I can feel what people are feeling. This is something I tried to develop after learning how biofeedback worked. I would think I felt what others were feeling, but of course, always assumed I was probably imagining or projecting. So I started asking people if what I felt was correct. At first I was right some of the time. But the more I asked, the more I found out when I was feeling correctly. After doing this for a few years I could identify the sensation that went along with being correct.

This doesn't make me special at all, in fact I believe everyone has this ability and probably a lot of people have it to a potentially far greater extent than I do - I really had to work at it. But no one ever told us it's something you have to practice, like playing guitar. Do it enough years, collect enough feedback to let you know when you're "in tune" or not, and you'll get good at it whether you want to or not.

I feel this has increased my ability to be tolerant of people because I can feel why they are the way they are. But, it's not all wonderful because a lot of times you feel things you really don't want to feel. It's not something you can turn off once it's been turned on, at least not that I know of.

It sounds like you are a "closet Buddhist" :)

Your post illustrates my claim that there is no evil, only ignorance. If we all learned to cultivate our own innate "Buddha Nature" (it has other names in other cultures) then we would not want to inflict pain on others.

That's what the song "Little Pieces" on my YouTube channel is about.

I enjoyed that :thu:

• Members

Glad I finally got the time I finally got the time to watch this video. Glad Craig got it out there for us. Glad I judge Art as Art.

The day I start weighing personal behavior, personal politics, against a person's artistic expressions....I might as well be dead.

Ginger Baker is an Artist.

• Members

Thanks for digging that up, Dendy. I think it shows a looser, funnier side of him as well. And he outlasted Jack Bruce...

So as a drummer, what do you think of him as a drummer? I always thought he was highly innovative, and I can really relate to his not "thinking" about what he was going to play, just playing. He was definitely connected to...something, and I don't think it was always drugs.

• Members

I saw it several months ago. I thought it was very interesting. I always tried to style my own playing after Ginger Baker. I felt that he came across as bitter and frustrated. I am sure that his bad financial planning and troubles are the cause of that. I really don't get the Africa thing...... Kind of strange.

• Members

I've watched the documentary twice now, and it's equal parts amusing, inspiring, and depressing. Assuming of course, the film is reasonably accurate.

But I always take films like this with a grain of salt in terms of the implicit conclusions of the film, which is that Baker is incurably irascible and although capable of managing some family relationships for a season, his ultimate loyalty is simply to himself and his own interests. Ok, maybe he's like that, but surely there could be other ways to present him, other ways to draw the portrait, angles to emphasize or leave in shadow, etc. People are complex and all portraits reduce the complexity for the sake of making a clear statement - the best they can do is "true as far as it goes but incomplete".

What I find a lot more interesting than the personality portrayal, is what I pick up about his music from the film. I came away thinking a lot about how the film presented comments that link Baker to jazz and African drummers, and distance him from comparisons with rock drummers - Bonham and Keith Moon are mentioned specifically. Clapton's scoffing reaction to the comparison with Bonham and Moon is classic and very telling. As much as I love Bonham and Moon as rock players, I totally agree with Clapton - Ginger Baker is a different and more accomplished and subtle player, no question. And as far as timing goes...Bonham could groove wonderfully, but his timing was often pretty off. Moon didn't groove like Bonham, but he had much better timing - compared to Baker. he didn't have all that many tricks in his bag - he had taste and control and speed, but far fewer expressive tools than Baker.

Ginger Baker's style, in addition to his precision timing, has a floating, propulsive quality to it that is different at the root from heavy rock drumming. Heavy rock drumming is usually about power and/or speed and beat emphasis. Baker's style is about powerful motion and fluidity and accents - no wonder he loves horses...his style gallops gracefully - there's pounding to be sure, but there's a momentum that has a lift to it, not just pounding the ground downward, but each hit bounces to race forward to the next hit. He's in that zone all the time, which is really remarkable. Not to mention the counter rhythms, the three-on-two stuff and so on, which he does so effortlessly.

So the personality portrait I'll just give it an "ok, maybe/probably, but I'm not sure I care" - but the insight into his music is something that will stick with me, something I can do something with. Good film.

nat whilk ii

Archived