Encouragement sought from "Gibson guys" - I think I hate my Les Paul?

Danhedonia

• Members

I Have an Epi LP Custom...it's even a bolt-on. :0:cool03:

Like you Dan...I sheepishly took it to a vintage shop as the rare guitar I couldn't quite tweak. I admitted ot them it was my cheapo bar guitar and they "unsolicitedly" said "no it's actually pretty good...nearly as good as some newer Gibbys we see." This was probably ~2004-5.

Anyway Dan, certainly any given guitar is not for everyone. I have a hard time with strats. The flat top and vintage bridge give me fits. If you just don't dig it...or no longer do...bail out. If you have a good setup, even new strings and new pickups can be a long shot. Certainly the dimensions can't be modded. (Although on second thought...my model's neck CAN be...lol)

I Have a set of D-Addario XL 10's on mine. A nice compromise of playability and stoutness. The original Epi pups in it were beyond silly, not even close to what Epi puts in now. I put an 80's Dimarzio Distortion in the bridge which gave it AWESOME tone- clean or dirty. It's sharp, clear, sustainy, yet easy on the ears. I put what I think is a Duncan JB in the neck...giving it a VERY warm rounded tone there. Also had to replace bridge becuase of wear, pretty sure it's an upgrade of sorts.

I can;t be sure how it compares to any specific Gibson model, but the neck is LP chunky. It SEEMS classic les paul in every regard. It's one of my GO TO guitars at home or at bars. She's been real good to me and I can play almost anything from jazz to metal to Rush to gov'ment mule. The carved top makes it comfortable to play.

I have other guitars, tele's super strats, hollows....one day I'll find a special real Gibby to put beside the Epi. Sorry you're having trouble bud. I just recently sold a guitar I struggled with for YEARS...I took a rapin on it...but!...it's weight off the shoulders!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have an angle on trading it for a Burns Brian May (made in UK). We'll see.

It's not a dud - it is just not at all configured to my liking, and what felt like 'new and interesting' at first morphed into " ..... yeah ... I don't think so." It's all about the neck girth.

• Members

Well, I think you just aren't a LP person. It's fine. I love a good Gibson, but I have played many I didn't like. The nicest LP I played recently was a '57 Goldtop reissue. That thing had a huge neck and was pretty heavy, but what a sound! I would have purchased, but at 4 grand, it just wasn't in the budget. I love and use my 2003 ES-345 for most of my electric gigs and really can get any sound I want out of it. You just have to play a bunch to find the magic. Strats are the same. Not all are created equally!

• Members

I don't think ANY two guitars are created equally - even the Squiers. That Paul really is nice - really. I just am never going to be a thick neck person.

This thread should die until/unless I unload the thing ... but now I'm curious as to what guitar traits others found dealbreakers.

• Members
I don't think ANY two guitars are created equally - even the Squiers. That Paul really is nice - really. I just am never going to be a thick neck person.

This thread should die until/unless I unload the thing ... but now I'm curious as to what guitar traits others found dealbreakers.

I think you hit on the biggest one. If the neck profile doesn't feel right then the guitar just won't work for me.

Archived