Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

lol....actually yesterday it was resistance to adding new songs....and the day before was "why do we need to rehearse." What can I say.... we never rehearse (literally, never except when it's time to add new songs..the last time we rehearsed was probably 6 months ago), and adding new songs is always a discussion and hassle because no one ever agrees with the song choices and everyone is always in disagreement over whether a given song will go over well with the audience. The usual cover band drama...

I'm like a freakin' psychic! But that is exactly how I got into sound. Band drama.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would just find someone else to gig with, music is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and make money also , but if you dont have but one thing out of the 3 that you are getting , with the threat of losing even that then i would take the female singer and look for someone else. IMHO that would be the cheaper way to go. They are there you just got to look for them.

• Members

So what I've gathered here is: besides yourself...

1 nobody cares about or wants to rehearse
2 nobody wants to learn any new material
3 nobody cares what you sound like to the audience
4 nobody sees anything wrong with all of the above.

So exactly WHY do you even stay in this band? I'm serious, if you really think about all that you've told us about them, why are you even trying?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crownman View Post

So exactly WHY do you even stay in this band? I'm serious, if you really think about all that you've told us about them, why are you even trying?
So it does sound pretty uninspiring doesn't it?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
That's when I decided to suck it up and do the PA myself. Basically I charge $50 a show for corner bar gigs and 10% on stuff in excess of $750 so for wedding and corporate shows I'm getting around $200. That also covers all the work I do to book the shows, work with brides, planners, corporate folks, etc. We also have a "band fund" which is $5 a person per show so $25 a gig goes to things such as web hosting, gaff tape, posters and clothes.
IF - and only if - you decide to stay in the band (and the reasons not to do so keep coming thick and fast) then how about getting everyone to contribute to the PA from the money you get for playing. Abzurd has given a great example of how this works for him, and it could for you.....If you can't afford to buy the stuff up front, then play enough gigs and you will be able to afford to get something decent.....and that will transform your sound......and maybe you get to do more gigs that pay well/better = virtuous circle.

I guess the alternative is the vicious circle of poor sound ---> poor gigs.

Good luck - it's not an easy situation.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crownman View Post

Believe it or not, it's actually fun. They are a good group of guys, we don't have a lot of the drama that a lot of other bands have, and we all have a good time when we play. I think ultimately, they approach it as more of a hobby where I think of it as more of a second job while also being a fun hobby. There's where we disagree about things like rehearsal, new songs, gear choices, etc... It's just frustrating that lately we've started developing a good reputation, have started moving from dive bar gigs to some of the better gigs (still dive bars...just more upscale dives...), so we've kind of started moving beyond just "hobby" status and are outgrowing things like our entry level PA, our relatively stagnant song list, etc..., and I'm trying to grow with it, but the rest of the band seem to be content with us staying at the hobby level. But if I overlook that, the bottom line is that it's fun, we all get along, and playing gigs keeps me sane. What's interesting is that even with our entry level PA, our complete lack of rehearsals, etc... we've started to get a reputation as a good band and have a lot of venues that love us. I can only imagine what would happen if we took it more seriously, upgraded the PA, rehearsed, constantly expanded our songlist, etc...

• Members

Holy Mother Of God....

I don't want to stereotype based on accent, but that is one hilarious review.

thumb.gif Hahahahaha OMFG!!

"I'm gonna show y'all how to do it, how to slow your frequencies down. So your speakers can pick 'em up instead of fight to grab 'em. What happens is if you get extortion and you get mufflyness....it can't grab it. And what happens is it goes to the main and the tweet..."

Hahahahaha!! facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axisplayer View Post
Hey ChiroVette, what are you talking about? I thought I did pretty good in my video review. What should I have done differently?
Right off the top of my head, a picture of your short bus in the background would have been one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
The guy in the video says they do - made point of it even freak.gif.
And that definitely seals the deal. I mean, come on, dude. They have voice coils! You didn't hear this from me, but I think they may also have magnets!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
So it does sound pretty uninspiring doesn't it?
I generally get initially depressed reviewing videos, sound recordings, or photos of "our" performances. I see & hear everything that's "weak"... but then I realize:

1) The stuff that can be fixed is fairly easy to fix... sort-of.

2) The stuff that can't be fixed, can generally be improved upon with practice or tweak the game plan. Identifying the root of the weakness is the first step

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axisplayer View Post
Hey ChiroVette, what are you talking about? I thought I did pretty good in my video review. What should I have done differently?

Roadranger, I think they do have voice coils in them don't they? I thought they did. I'll go look now and come back.
Is that really you?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Holy Mother Of God....

I don't want to stereotype based on accent, but that is one hilarious review.

thumb.gif Hahahahaha OMFG!!

"I'm gonna show y'all how to do it, how to slow your frequencies down. So your speakers can pick 'em up instead of fight to grab 'em. What happens is if you get extortion and you get mufflyness....it can't grab it. And what happens is it goes to the main and the tweet..."

Hahahahaha!! facepalm.gif
More comedy gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo4cmuVW9M

• Members

Ok, I have to ask, why do the SA speakers get such good reviews on Amazon? The ones I mentioned have an almost 5 star rating with close to 40 reviews. Are most of those reviews made by shills or do you think they're just from people who don't know any better and as long as a speaker makes noise they think it's a good speaker?

Archived