New pickup for single pickup guitar

OsirisProtocol

• Members

Neck position pickups are the same as bridge pickups, except the neck often has a lower wind count (DC ohms) to balance the average volume between the two pickups.

In the 6-string Fender world, the poles are centered farther apart on the bridge pickup than just about everybody else. The 6-string low-E - to - high-E pole distance on a Gibson is 50 mm, on a Fender it's 52 mm.

For a Van Halen setup with a single slanted humbucker on a Strat body, you actually want to go with the 50 mm "Gibson" width, because the poles on both coils of the uncovered humbucker line up nicely under the strings with the 15 degree Strat bridge pickup angle.

No kdding That's pretty much what I said in post #11

• Members

But isn't the whole point of how a neck pickup sounds that it's installed in the neck position? The OP's guitar has no neck pickup so he's kinda out of luck there, which is why I suggested he get a different guitar.

It may not be perfect, but, one can reasonably emulate a non-existent neck pickup on a single pickup guitar by simply adjusting the tone knob.

The ancient Fender Esquire only has a neck pickup, but, it still has the Telecaster's three-way pickup selector switch in place. What would be the neck pickup position on a Telecaster (all the way forward) adds an RC network to roll a lot of treble off the neck pickup.

Fender%2B%252759%2BEsquire.jpg

esquire_jotka_gto2.gif

13448d1216912802-standard-esquire-wiring-using-4-way-switch-esquire-jpg

• Members

A trick worth considering might be using a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot with a splitable (4-wire) humbucker.

The small switches on the side of the pickup ring allow for single coil selection from the split humbucker connections, a parallel coil circuit, or the normal series circuit that any single lead (2-wire) humbucker has.

triple_shot_ring_blk_crm.jpg

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/accessories/triple-shot-mou/triple_shot_swi/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=Triple+Shot

• Members

Can he even flip the pickup in that guitar? Im not sure wich one he has but when i google searched the Ibanez RS410 it has an old school type pickup that uses 3 screws to adjust its hight. 2 on the low E side and one on the high E

IMO he wants an 8-10K pickup 12K at the most

If he can remove the screws he should try that, it really tames down a hot pickup. Remove the screws on one of the coils and leave the posts in there or one set of screws. Easy and cheap to do. Sort of reminds me of a zebra pickup

I like the idea of the stacked control pot, i have an older model 1 charvel that only has 1 pickup in it and i dont want to deface the guitar by adding more knobs or switches.

Right now i have an EMG85 in it with an EMG presence board and the presence knob is inside the cavity.

• Members

Remove the screws on one of the coils and leave the posts in there or one set of screws. Easy and cheap to do. Sort of reminds me of a zebra pickup.

Removing the screw polepieces is an old trick for effectively turning your humbucker into a single coil pickup with a noise-cancelling dummy coil. Without the screw polepieces, the sensing side of the humbucker becomes the slug coil.

I can tell you from experience this works best with humbuckers that use a ceramic magnet, but it still works well enough with a humbucker using an AlNiCo V magnet. Unfortunately, the slug poles are not height-adjustable, so you might end up with a bit of a string balance problem.

• Members
. . . It may not be perfect' date=' but, one can reasonably emulate a non-existent neck pickup on a single pickup guitar by simply adjusting the tone knob. . . .[/quote']

Which is what I suggested about twenty posts ago except his guitar doesn't have a tone control so he'd have to do the same thing at the amp.

A trick worth considering might be using a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot with a splitable (4-wire) humbucker.

The small switches on the side of the pickup ring allow for single coil selection from the split humbucker connections, a parallel coil circuit, or the normal series circuit that any single lead (2-wire) humbucker has. . . .

I saw that when I looked into the SD P Rails pickup. Frankly, I have no idea if the OP's guitar has a splitable pickup already or not but it's worth checking out.

Archived