how to play guitar, properly

cloud90

• Members

The science of learning versus the art of learning are seldom on the same plane. Often, one usurps the other and it tailspins from there.

If I had to set up anything of a schedule for a noob it would be learning where the chords are on the FB and then with a simple up-down strumming pattern learn to switch from chord to chord fluidly while listening how they harmonically fit.

Your statement that he doesn't need to find his own structure eludes me. Structure is exactly what he needs to find or he'll be lost forever. I get the notion that you think structure comes from without and isn't something that's inherent in each of us. But, he has already made it known that he's all over the place, tried this, watched that and seems lost. The answer is glaring at him but like eveyone one else impatient with themselves, his focus is lost by his own making.

There is no one thing that works for one person or all. There is no easy answer. There is only work and lots of it that needs to be done over a lifetime of playing. The obvious task is to learn the chords and develop the ear. I can't understand how people with a minute sense of order can't realize that.

It's hardly a science. The basics are fairly easy to learn. Getting competent, versatile, and accomplished takes a lifetime. There, and putting emotion into playing, lies the art, or craft.

You'er either misquoting or misunderstanding me. He NEEDS structure - a course, where all the things you write at length about are already organised in a logical sequence, from someone who already been through it.

He can't 'find' or design that himself. Great for you that you did it all on your own from books, but not everyone can. I'd argue fewer people can or will, when good courses in video format are available.

That's why I recommend Justinguitar - a complete free course. Seems he's been cherry picking lessons, rather than following the beginners course. That is most people's mistaken piecemeal approach to learning.

No, not everyone learns the same. I came to realise I took to strumming fairly naturally, and could hear and repeat rhythms pretty well, so I skipped the whole sections on learning common patterns. If anything, it mechanised a natural process and held me back. These are things you learn about your abilities and the way you learn, as you go.

• Members

Ok guys, I have now drawn a guide which i believe will get me to the level of flexibility i want to achieve. I considered everyone's response and did a lil soul searching. I have realized the level i want to reach to. I want to be able to make my own song and also be able to improvise on the spot. I think my problem in the beginning was prob due to impatience and just lack of direction.

So, i have made a list of things i am going to do, in order to get to that levelo of flexibility (Feel free, to add any suggestions smile.gif )

-learn as m,any songs as possible

-follow justinguitar's vids

- learn chords and scales

-make my own songs

-learn how to improvise

-eventually will like to play r&b/jazz guitar (i am assuming this is just a matter of knowing and being able to play the chords, right?)

What do you think guys? Anything to add? I was thinking of concentrating on each step separately when practicing for the 2 or 3 hrs , that i practice daily. Or would i make faster progress, by trying to concentrate on lil portions of each step in my 2-3 daily practice, sessions?

I am guessing, the same steps could be applied to learning the keyboard, right? I kinda know how to play it but would like to reach the level mentioned above, in terms of skills.

Thanks!

• Members

Here's what I think, since you asked. This is a plan. Not many have actual plans. If you were to follow thru, discard those plans that you feel don't work, and keep flexible to new opportunities that arise, you will do well. And I am interested in your progress. You may or may not feel comfortable sharing the "sound" of your progress anytime soon, but keep us posted in any event. This could be an interesting on-going thread. Hint: record your progress and share as you go, you ARE anonymous after all, eh? One day you may feel confident putting a face to it. Soundcloud, other music sharing sites, doesn't have to be pro, heck, record off your phone, those are pretty good nowadays.

• Members

What do you think guys? Anything to add? I was thinking of concentrating on each step separately when practicing for the 2 or 3 hrs , that i practice daily. Or would i make faster progress, by trying to concentrate on lil portions of each step in my 2-3 daily practice, sessions?

Are you really being honest with yourself 2-3 hrs daily? I'm sceptical anyone can do good practice for that amount of time per day. It's pretty tiring, IME. Justin's course recommends 15mins per day 30 if you can do it. That's for FOCUSSED practice on the elements you're working on. When many people say they practice that long, they more likely practice for 10-20 minutes and noddle and play stuff for the rest of the time.

Work and play aren't really the same thing. THere's a time for both, but 3 hours of work is hard to do.

• Members

I concur with those who say don't worry too much about the theory - yet - it's not necessary at this stage (although it can be very useful later on). I also think gardo makes an excellent point regarding playing with others; especially if you're not getting the human interaction you'd get from a teacher. A lot of the progress I made over the years was down to interacting with other musicians.

Oh, as to the 2-3 hours per day; I'd assumed he meant total hours, not necessarily in one sitting, and including the noodling time. When time allows I often play for that amount of time in a day but usually spread out over 3-4 sessions.

• Members

Time it will take. Patience you need.

You just need to keep learning songs. Once you get to the point where you're used to how a chord sounds and you know a bunch of them you can start learning songs by listening to them, pausing, going back... Then you'll be away. You won't see much reward for a while, then the progress will come thick and fast.

I can hear a song on the radio and often tell what the chords are if the guitar is easy to hear and in standard tuning.

• Members

Are you really being honest with yourself 2-3 hrs daily? I'm sceptical anyone can do good practice for that amount of time per day. It's pretty tiring, IME. Justin's course recommends 15mins per day 30 if you can do it. That's for FOCUSSED practice on the elements you're working on. When many people say they practice that long, they more likely practice for 10-20 minutes and noddle and play stuff for the rest of the time.

Work and play aren't really the same thing. THere's a time for both, but 3 hours of work is hard to do.

I know the benefit of structured practice, but I usually alternate between learning and improvising. Roughly in 1 hour cycles. When I was a youngster I regularly did 3+ hours a day. Now life is different and guitar is a hobby, but if I didn't have commitments I'd do that again.

• Members

Guitars are user-friendly instruments. They fit comfortably into the arms of most humans, and the hand that comes naturally is pretty much the position from which you should play. In this article, you discover how to hold your hands — just as if you were a young socialite at a finishing school.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the responses. Yeah, i will eventually post up my progress later. It will be good to get feedback as i progress And yeah, i would love to sit down and jam with others. So, what do you guys think the steps i mentioned/my plan? Is it any goood?.

• Members
Thanks everyone for the responses. Yeah' date=' i will eventually post up my progress later. It will be good to get feedback as i progress And yeah, i would love to sit down and jam with others. So, what do you guys think the steps i mentioned/my plan? Is it any goood?. [/quote']

I don't think your plan is anywhere near specific enough:

Learn songs. Which ones, and in what timeframe? To what purpose, to learn something from them or to enjoy playing the guitar.

Follow justin's vids. Don't. My advice would be to stop cherry picking and follow his course, no just the vids you're interested in.

Learn scales. Why? Learn one scale and learn how to use it, then learn another. Otherwise you're just going up and down the fretboard doing exercises that teach you little.

AS someone else suggested, spend a year or two learning the basics, before thinking of creating songs or improvising too much, especially in Jazz, which requires a strong foundation in the basics anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I learned playing guitar at the age of 12, and I am now a member of a church praise & worship team. The first thing I did was to sing a very simple song like a birthday song. It only has 3 chords. Since a song has different pitch, you should know and learn by listening how to play that simple song with just 3 chords in different pitches, from a chord of A to G. From there, you will be able to learn a complicated song later using more than just 3 chords.

Archived