Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm editing together 100's of telephone prompts. Delivered by an outgoing IVR driven by a call list... Typically these would be separate segments, concatenated on the fly as delivered, dynamically using the correct phone number and auto dealership name in the message. Invisible due to my mad skills. But since I'm sending these out to a 3rd party, I will edit all the #'s and names into the body texts and send off full messages to minimize their hose ups on my behalf. Split only so I didn't have to rerererecord the body text.

These are lovely little birthday greetings from a certain HUGE American auto OEM, to its dealership's customer base. Buy a F%^D and get a nice greeting on your birthday with the dealer's name and number, in case you wanna... uh... get a new car for yourself on your birthday I guess.

That is how exciting I AM!! :) It ain't no rock and roll... but it does allow me to buy rock and roll CDs and such.

• Members

I have to laugh - someone claiming to own John Lennon's first 'Gallo' acoustic guitar recently sold it for a phenomenal sum.

It's just that I'm reasonably intimate with the model myself, because in 1963, it was the 1st guitar I bought myself. Other than in Liverpool and Hamburg, The Beatles were still unknown to the world.

Anyway, history tells me that John had moved on to a Hofner and then a Rickenbacker by that time.

But back to the 'Gallo'. It was a brute of a guitar - cheapest thing you could buy. Manufactured in South Africa for the local African market.

I was living in South Africa at the time and it cost $6 new. John was ripped off - he paid six pounds stirling for his.

We didn't know about guitar setups and high action in those days, and I swear the strings sat a quarter inch above the frets. As for string gauge, there was only one gauge available, and they felt like the top E string was probably about a 0.015. When I pick up a cheap guitar in a shop nowadays, they are really quite playable, and I can't help but think how easy it is to get started.

• Members

Crap day. Had to rush home from the shore because our cat was really sick. Got her to the vet by 11:30. Left her there because they needed to stabilize her and observe. She died two hours later. Now I'm back down the shore and have to break the news to the kids. RIP Penny Lane.

• Moderators
Crap day. Had to rush home from the shore because our cat was really sick. Got her to the vet by 11:30. Left her there because they needed to stabilize her and observe. She died two hours later. Now I'm back down the shore and have to break the news to the kids. RIP Penny Lane.

Oh... man. I'm so sorry Justin. That's a rough one. Hope the kids are ok.

• Members

Sorry to hear that, Justin, hope the new kitten works out.

• Members

Saturday night was the concert I had prepared those two spirituals for a few weeks back, and it was kind of amazing. 1000 people showed up, and two friends of mine - both of whom I am recording on my songs - got up and sang

and brought the house down. These are women who have been in my house, singing into my mics....I'm tying to figure out how to write something that pretty. My numbers ended the show (!), and I didn't mess up. Win!

• Moderators

Quite a shocker... the wife and I were returning from the drug store when the kid calls. "What up's pun'kin?"

Robin Williams just committed suicide...

"No way. You've got the wrong one. Tyler. Robin Williams is Mrs. Doubtfire."

Dad... I know. Him. He committed suicide.

"I.."

Just then the wife started crying. Uncontrolled weeping. Really? I've never been a mourn for the famous person type except for John Lennon. But, well... Robin Williams was her John Lennon in a lot of ways. My wife absolutely adored Robin Williams. Ever since we met she'd see Williams and say things like... "Ohhhh... poor guy. He's got it. The dark cloud. Did he do lots of drugs? Do you know?" She always had a sense about him. That's just way too sad.

The dark cloud.

• Members

RIP Robin Williams. This 'joke' from Watchmen seems fitting.

A man goes to see a doctor. Doctor asks what seems to be the trouble. The man says, "Doc, I'm depressed. Simply, I can't sleep sometimes, I can't eat, I feel down and irritable most days. I just can't feel 'happy.'"

The Doctor says, "I've got the perfect fix for you. In town tonight is the great clown Pagliacci. He's hysterically funny and will make you laugh til you cry. You will experience a joy unprecedented."

The man bursts into tears. The doctor, confused asks why. "Doc, I am Pagliacci."

Based off an Italian opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn_eS2XFZ5g

Archived