Bajo Sexto

isaac42

• Moderators

I went down to my local mom&pop music store this morning to get some bass strings. While there and looking around, I saw a bajo sexto. I've never seen one in person before.

It were purty. Now I want one, but I don't know what I'd do with it.

• Members

Do with it?! Do with it?! You, sir, have no idea how GAS works. You don't buy something because you have a use for it, you buy it because it's cool. I mean, it has "sex" in the name. It has to be cool. Now march right out and buy that bajo sexto this minute. sm-wink

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I got one a long while back, it's been collecting dust in a corner awaiting an under-saddle piezo pickup. Good project for the winter, thanks for the reminder!

Anyone else have one of these? Do you tune it in the traditional tuning? I have mine just as a regular 12 string guitar tuning, an octave lower.

• Members

I'm not sure, honestly, a guy in a music store said, if I recall correctly, that the "G" pair of strings was tuned differently, I think to "F" (so moving the "break" in between-string intervals down a string). Hearsay at best, though. Perhaps wikipedia knows... ...it says "all fourths, E,A,D,G,C,F (low to high)". Very strange...

• Members

They guy in the music store told me I had tuned it wrong, but considering that it was completely out of tune (not just tuned differently) when I picked it up, I kinda think I did them a favor. I played it a bit and some other folks started paying attention (to it, not my playing). It drives me nuts when music stores have instruments out that aren't kept even close to being in tune... (and anyway, it's easy enough to go from one tuning to the other, but "out is out" either way)

Archived